Sennheiser IE7 VS IE8 Discussion Thread
Mar 21, 2009 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

my.self

500+ Head-Fier
im just wondering what are the differences between the two? currently, the ie7's can be bought at about $230 USD and the IE8's at $450 USD. the difference is quite big between the two, $220 USD.

hows the bass on the ie7? how does it compare up with the image x10's? how are the microphonics and mids on the ie7's? im considering getting a new iem cuz the x10's have very bad microphonics and i would like something with more mids, the mids seem to be recessed on the x10's. i ask about the bass because i really like the bass on the x10's. also, hows the soundstage?

let the discussions begin!

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 89
Bump!

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 89
I have given my opinions several times..

just search for it.

IE7 has a more neutral sound, better noise isolation but smaller soundstage even though it has best soundstage after IE8.

it is better in some ways than IE8...but if u want powerful fun sound then IE8 is also great.

the bass on IE8 kinda reduces the strum feel of the guitar...atleast thats what i felt around 100 hours burn in time..whereas IE7 is clearer in midrange after same amount of burn in.....the IE7 lacks texture in vocals sometimes unlike IE8.

overall if u want IE8 but cant afford it...IE7 will be the perfect next best option ...its just a different IEM...u cant say its inferior.

the main reason for big price difference must be:
1. the Bass knob.
2. bigger soundstage
3. more sparkle in the highs (IE8)
4. subwooferish Bass
5. more texture in vocals..... IE7 has smooth vocals..even detailed... but they are more unforgiving for vocals..if they aint recorded well..they wont that good.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 89
well i dont have the 8 (yet, not sure if i will ever bother getting them) and i really really like the 7's they do everything so well and have very nice mids. still a bit too much on the low end for me but the bass is very well done but is right at the upper limits of the amount id want.

of all the IEM's own only the 530 clearly beats it, thats how highly i regard the IE7

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 89
ah i see mark, how would u compare the bass and mids for the ie7 and se530? i would ask for a comparison with x10, but it doesnt look like u have them according to ur sig. i like bass, but im not a bass head. i like that mark in between average and basshead so yea.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have given my opinions several times..

the main reason for big price difference must be:
1. the Bass knob.
2. bigger soundstage
3. more sparkle in the highs (IE8)
4. subwooferish Bass
5. more texture in vocals..... IE7 has smooth vocals..even detailed... but they are more unforgiving for vocals..if they aint recorded well..they wont that good.

I have owned both, and the above statement is very accurate... Comparing the IE7 and IE8, the "8" does everything just a bit better. For me, the #3 comment (sparkle in the highs) was the main factor.

Both the IE7 and IE8 have that warm Senn sound. If you like Senns presentation, you will probably like their IEMS. Go for the 8's if you can afford

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah i see mark, how would u compare the bass and mids for the ie7 and se530? i would ask for a comparison with x10, but it doesnt look like u have them according to ur sig. i like bass, but im not a bass head. i like that mark in between average and basshead so yea.

well the IE7 has more bass than the 530, and its very nice bass but a touch much for me, its a more impactfull too than the 530 and not just quite as smooth and controlled. it is my second favourite bass behinf the 530 though.

mids are lush, really very nice almost as good as the 530 again but in a couple songs can be sibilant which is only in a couple things if played at volume. highs are very nice and detailed and quite wonderfully natural decay and roll off. the is a touch more highs than in the 530.

isolation is much better on the 530, you i really really do like the IE7, got them in just now and they are great to listen to

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 89
thanks mark!

oh yea and btw, does anyone know how the microphonics are on the ie7? my image x10 microphonics are really bad, thats why im considering selling them.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks mark!

oh yea and btw, does anyone know how the microphonics are on the ie7? my image x10 microphonics are really bad, thats why im considering selling them.

Having the IE8s and reading that the cable on the IE7's are of the same material, then I would assume the microphonics are really when over the ear.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 89
over the ear... there probably won't be much microphonics... at least thats what i felt when trying the ie8s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back