Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
May 19, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #526 of 738
Just got the ie300, better late than nvr. I got to say it sound very very nice. I am using campfire ba iem currently.

Previously reading so much comment on forum about how its not good enough, cable noisy, recess vocal etc .. but i got to say the sound make me forget all those issue.

Just i problem, how can i use my existing mmcx cable on this? Any adapter to convert mmcx to fit ie300? Thk.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802671000851.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1a295e98ki7Tym&algo_pvid=0b816886-4f25-48f0-a943-e106ca8b9dc3&algo_exp_id=0b816886-4f25-48f0-a943-e106ca8b9dc3-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000025821990345"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!!33.12!!!!!@210318cb16529617291727935e7a55!12000025821990345!sea

Adapters for AKG N series should work as well (that's what I have)

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #527 of 738

Attachments

• IMG-20220521-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20220521-WA0000.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 27, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #528 of 738
After owning the IE900 and now the IE600 I decided to pick up a set of the 300s if i spotted a good price, which I did.
I’ve had them a couple of days and I’m really enjoying them, they suit my sound preference nicely, and I’ve realised more than ever that I really like a slightly recessed midrange.
The IE600, at first, seemed to be perfect for me but the longer a listen to them the more fatiguing I start to find the more forward mids. I don’t think this is a problem with the IE600, I think the mids are excellent, but it’s a problem with how I perceive them.
The IE300 on the other hand are such an easy listen to my ears, I find them to have just enough resolution and detail without being fatiguing, the recessed mids help to expand the soundstage and perceived depth.
The IE900 is an amazing iem and still the best I’ve ever owned, but for less than a 5th of the price the IE300 get closer than they should in technicalities whist delivering a more fun experience.
The IE300 are great and now I’ve had all 3 Im thinking of returning the IE600, keeping the 300 for using out and about and maybe picking up an IE900 for using at home again, The balance here is better suited fir more ‘critical’ listening imo.
My main takeaway though is that I don’t think any of the 3 is necessarily better than the other, it comes down to preference.

May 27, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #529 of 738
After owning the IE900 and now the IE600 I decided to pick up a set of the 300s if i spotted a good price, which I did.
I’ve had them a couple of days and I’m really enjoying them, they suit my sound preference nicely, and I’ve realised more than ever that I really like a slightly recessed midrange.
The IE600, at first, seemed to be perfect for me but the longer a listen to them the more fatiguing I start to find the more forward mids. I don’t think this is a problem with the IE600, I think the mids are excellent, but it’s a problem with how I perceive them.
The IE300 on the other hand are such an easy listen to my ears, I find them to have just enough resolution and detail without being fatiguing, the recessed mids help to expand the soundstage and perceived depth.
The IE900 is an amazing iem and still the best I’ve ever owned, but for less than a 5th of the price the IE300 get closer than they should in technicalities whist delivering a more fun experience.
The IE300 are great and now I’ve had all 3 Im thinking of returning the IE600, keeping the 300 for using out and about and maybe picking up an IE900 for using at home again, The balance here is better suited fir more ‘critical’ listening imo.
My main takeaway though is that I don’t think any of the 3 is necessarily better than the other, it comes down to preference.
Yup. Ie600 can be tired after listen for long time. Too forward vocal.

May 27, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #530 of 738

I don't own the 300, 600 or even 900, but I do own the IE 100 Pro and IE 400 Pro and all the things you said about the 300 is how I feel about my 400. I've heard they're tuned very similarly. They're no fatiguing whatsoever, but at the same time they're not dark and muddy. The highs shine through when they're needed, but don't over stay their welcome. It just sounds natural to me. I love hearing a crash cymbal struck in the background and hearing it ring all the way out to the end even while lots of other stuff is going on at once. You can have horns, vocals, backup vocals, guitars, drums, bass, strings and whatever else playing all at the same time and you can easily pick one of them and just listen to that one instrument. Usually something like that just gets all wishy washy and blends together too much on other headphones. Even my IE 100s (which I still love by the way) can't do all of that at once like the 400 can and I think the same can be said about the 300 although I haven't personally worn them. Just going off of impressions I've heard. The 300 seem to be in line with the 400. I only got the 400 because I like the bigger body and the ear tips better.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #534 of 738
Has anyone heard both the IE300 and the IE900 and preferred the IE300? Or is the IE900 literally superior in every way?

The IE300 are on sale right now Amazon Prime for 125 gbp or 149 EUR
I paid what amounts to $100 more than that for my 300, and I consider that a bargain to this day. I really love mine and use it a lot.

Jul 13, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #535 of 738
I paid what amounts to $100 more than that for my 300, and I consider that a bargain to this day. I really love mine and use it a lot.
Well I've ordered the IE300 at the Amazon Prime Day 125gbp / 150 USD price point, but as Amazon has completely sold out because its a pretty good deal, I'm guessing I have another month+ to change my mind. But I didn't want to go to bed without nabbing it on sale.

The thing is, there's a pair of IE900 up for sale in my country in the classified, which is why I initially asked about comparisons. A long time ago I owned a pair of HD800 headphones so I do have some faith in the Sennheiser brand.

How do you like female vocals on the IE300? I do like bass and I feel the IE300 is going to be pretty competent at that, but I always listen to a few tracks in a "session" by the likes of say Katie Melua, Celion Dion, The Carpenters, Minnie Riperton, Whitney Houston etc because I find the best female vocals to be enchanting, in a way that most female singers in the charts simply can't match, like I dunno, the ones that kids listen to like Billy Eilish or Doja Cat, good "tunes" maybe but completely "meh" voices when put next to some of the artists mentioned above.

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #537 of 738
Well I've ordered the IE300 at the Amazon Prime Day 125gbp / 150 USD price point, but as Amazon has completely sold out because its a pretty good deal, I'm guessing I have another month+ to change my mind. But I didn't want to go to bed without nabbing it on sale.

The thing is, there's a pair of IE900 up for sale in my country in the classified, which is why I initially asked about comparisons. A long time ago I owned a pair of HD800 headphones so I do have some faith in the Sennheiser brand.

How do you like female vocals on the IE300? I do like bass and I feel the IE300 is going to be pretty competent at that, but I always listen to a few tracks in a "session" by the likes of say Katie Melua, Celion Dion, The Carpenters, Minnie Riperton, Whitney Houston etc because I find the best female vocals to be enchanting, in a way that most female singers in the charts simply can't match, like I dunno, the ones that kids listen to like Billy Eilish or Doja Cat, good "tunes" maybe but completely "meh" voices when put next to some of the artists mentioned above.
For the price, u get the bass but not the vocal. So some might like it some may not, depending which types of songs u listen to mostly.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #538 of 738
Some claim IE100 are as equally good or even better... Well there wasn't any offer for it on Prime Day so I've decided to get IE300 for 140$ which is same price as IE100 without discount hence why I opted for a higher-end model. It is my return to IEM after a long break, so hopefully these will not disapoint.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #539 of 738
Some claim IE100 are as equally good or even better... Well there wasn't any offer for it on Prime Day so I've decided to get IE300 for 140$ which is same price as IE100 without discount hence why I opted for a higher-end model. It is my return to IEM after a long break, so hopefully these will not disapoint.
I have the IE 100 pro and 400 pro. The 100 pro sound fantastic, but the 400 pro performs better in every way. They have similar sound signatures but on a technical level, the IE 300/400 pro should have better imaging, soundstage and instrument separation

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #540 of 738
So my IE300 from the Amazon Prime Day sale arrived earlier last weekend, unfortunately I first got covid, then a heatwave made my media room more or less unusable for a couple of days.

But finally I got a chance to test them out, listen to a few songs and A/B them next to my speakers and sub as my portable stuff are now dirt cheap Chinese brands I got off amazon sales.

First impressions is that Sennheiser did a really good job for the bass frequencies, it sounds clean and natural, like an actual subwoofer, most of the time. This is very nice. Probably because I like a bit of bass anyway, I did not feel the level was too much and I guess for chart music the level is probably right anyway. However, the articulation (how finely I hear the bass notes and their changes) and extension could be better. 2 tracks used to specifically test bass are Bassotronics - Bass I Love You + Deadmau5 - I remember (Caspa Remix)

As for midrange / treble, I was only ever really bothered about how my favourite female vocalists would sound. So I tested with tracks from Katie Melua, Celion Dion, Karen Carpenter etc whose songs I know well and some even heard live before. My overall unscientific impression is that the voices are very clear but sound very "crisp" or "crystalline". It doesn't sound harsh or bad, and I guess if someone heard it for the first time without any prior reference they might think it's OK. But I found it quite off putting. In some songs it was bordering on sibilant eg Katie Melua - Piece by Piece. To be fair, maybe it's just my own preference as I have reduced the ribbon tweeter level on my speakers by - 1db on the back panel, on mine it would start to cut incrementally starting from the crossover frq of 2.5khz.

The voices also seemed to slightly lack "power", or maybe a more technical terminology is "dynamics"? I just notice that in a lot of songs where the voice is suddenly raised to a crescendo, it sounds less explosive than I'm used to, Katie Melua does a lot of this in her singing with peaks at approx 870-930 hz as measured by a spectrum analyser app.

Oh, sound stage etc is fine. Probably even a little better than the average budget iem. Turn up the volume however and size and congestion will seem more evident.

As to the fit, the silicone flanges are hopeless. Switched immediately to M foam which was fine. I hate the memory wire though with a passion because it doesn't really "remember" me, it is determined to do its own thing. Dreadful.

So my overall concluding thoughts that technically its quite an achievement from Sennheiser but that the tuning could be better. I would have to EQ it and buy a different cable to use it long term, I am mainly unsatisfied with the crystalline nature of voices and memory wire.

So in the interest of fairness and reference, attached is an approx frequency response (the red line) of what I'm used to hearing from my listening position in my media room in front of my speakers + sub. Extends down to 16hz in room and up to 45khz with the ribbon tweeters, with some calibration + peq applied. The chart itself was made by a spectrum analyser app on phone measuring the maximum spl vs freq from playing a 20-20khz youtube hearing test video through speakers. (ignore the yellow line as that is simply a snapshot of the last ms of sound measured)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-17-11-33-58-397_org.intoorbit.spectrum.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-17-11-33-58-397_org.intoorbit.spectrum.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back