Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #542 of 738
Any comparison between the IE300 and 7hz Timeless/ Shuoer S12?
I have both the Timeless and the IE 300. Both are excellent and compliment each other, but I have fit issues with the short nozzle on the Timeless. It does sound sweet, though. No fit issues whatsoever with the Sennheiser.

The IE 300, being a dynamic driver, is more tactile and thumpy in the bass. That's the biggest difference.

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #543 of 738
I have both the Timeless and the IE 300. Both are excellent and compliment each other, but I have fit issues with the short nozzle on the Timeless. It does sound sweet, though. No fit issues whatsoever with the Sennheiser.

The IE 300, being a dynamic driver, is more tactile and thumpy in the bass. That's the biggest difference.
Thanks for your insight! Would you say the IE300 is more efficient?

Jul 21, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #544 of 738
Thanks for your insight! Would you say the IE300 is more efficient?
The IE 300 runs fine on low gain on my weakest DAP in terms of power, the HiBy R3 Pro. It also sounds wonderful on my Vali 2 tube amp when fed a line-in from my X20 DAP.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #545 of 738
So in IE900 thread I've already asked about a way to determine production date by the serial number on the packaging, but someone replied it's not a problem with that particular IEM since it has letter with date in the packaging. But there's no such thing in IE300 box so is there a way to find out when particular unit was made? Curious if I got newer batch as I've read IE300 having quality issues. I'm still wtihin my 30-day return/exchange window.

edit: Just thought IE900 date paper might be corelated with serial number so by any chance maybe that would indicate mfg time of other senn products? I mean what each serial number stands for.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #546 of 738
I haven't read all of this thread, just wanted to chime in and state that, despite all of these reviewers claiming the included silicon tips did not work well for them-which made me avoid even trying them at first-these custom silicon tips ended up being the best match for me, sonically. Medium-shallow insertion will achieve a perfect seal. I did try other options, inclusing excellent ones such as Azla Crystal, Xelastec, and Spiral Dot++. There are more options, and I am sure you all have your faves, but the included tips do work (I have rather large ear canals and have to use the large size.)

They cannot be shoved in too deep, as it's very soft silicon material. Same with stock CFA silicon tips (not Final E type-the regular), which if shoved in too deeply, a perfect seal will likely not be achieved.

I love the sound *for the IE300* and wanted to ask to any of you or a Sennheiser representative how/where can I order more as backups. I did not find a link on the Sennheiser website. Interested in large size stock silicon tips (the one with the special "filter" design.)

In short please, Please feel free to try and use the stock tips first before dismissing them due to popular reviewers. They work and sound great with these IEMs. Their cons are softness, and the possibility that a very deep insertion won't work.

Jul 26, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #547 of 738
I haven't read all of this thread, just wanted to chime in and state that, despite all of these reviewers claiming the included silicon tips did not work well for them-which made me avoid even trying them at first-these custom silicon tips ended up being the best match for me, sonically. Medium-shallow insertion will achieve a perfect seal. I did try other options, inclusing excellent ones such as Azla Crystal, Xelastec, and Spiral Dot++. There are more options, and I am sure you all have your faves, but the included tips do work (I have rather large ear canals and have to use the large size.)

They cannot be shoved in too deep, as it's very soft silicon material. Same with stock CFA silicon tips (not Final E type-the regular), which if shoved in too deeply, a perfect seal will likely not be achieved.

I love the sound *for the IE300* and wanted to ask to any of you or a Sennheiser representative how/where can I order more as backups. I did not find a link on the Sennheiser website. Interested in large size stock silicon tips (the one with the special "filter" design.)

In short please, Please feel free to try and use the stock tips first before dismissing them due to popular reviewers. They work and sound great with these IEMs. Their cons are softness, and the possibility that a very deep insertion won't work.
Maybe you are just lucky, people have no reason to lie that the default tips did not fit them. I'm not a popular reviewer and they definitely did not fit me, well one side did but not the other. Whereas the included medium foams fit both.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #548 of 738
Foam "always" fits, but I generally do not like the sound.

As I stated before, soft silicon tends to be less flexible of insertion. Treated as an "old school" silicon tip, often they work fine, as long as you also like the frequency response results.

Sticky Xelastec and Crystal are also easier fits, allowing for both shallow and deep insertion. Tone will change, but a deep insertion is possible.

As I see it, the best way to improve the included tips would be to use the JVC Spiral Dot++ silicon material (not the design itself), in order to make easier fits more universal.

But my point with reviewers is that they tend to copy each other, and are often afraid to be "contrarian" *when it is justified* (being contrarian for the sake of being a jerk is another issue, and there *are* some reviewers like that). Then the next reviewers that do not get a fit right away, quickly dismiss the tips as well, so it seems *everyone* should conclude they are "bad". I was surprised they were not really bad at all, and therefore feel these folks were not even seriously trying, and quickly went to their favorites (I do this as well as a non-reviewer, as I love my favorite tips. )

Apologies; no need to be offended to be sure. Use whatever works for *you*.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #549 of 738
Foam "always" fits, but I generally do not like the sound.

As I stated before, soft silicon tends to be less flexible of insertion. Treated as an "old school" silicon tip, often they work fine, as long as you also like the frequency response results.

Sticky Xelastec and Crystal are also easier fits, allowing for both shallow and deep insertion. Tone will change, but a deep insertion is possible.

As I see it, the best way to improve the included tips would be to use the JVC Spiral Dot++ silicon material (not the design itself), in order to make easier fits more universal.

But my point with reviewers is that they tend to copy each other, and are often afraid to be "contrarian" *when it is justified* (being contrarian for the sake of being a jerk is another issue, and there *are* some reviewers like that). Then the next reviewers that do not get a fit right away, quickly dismiss the tips as well, so it seems *everyone* should conclude they are "bad". I was surprised they were not really bad at all, and therefore feel these folks were not even seriously trying, and quickly went to their favorites (I do this as well as a non-reviewer, as I love my favorite tips. )

Apologies; no need to be offended to be sure. Use whatever works for *you*.
I have no need for the IE 300 cause I have the 400 Pro, but if I had them, I’d use the Pro series silicone tips (large). Maybe order a set of those as well. They’re slightly bigger and still allow for the foam insert.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #550 of 738
For someone who just got IE300 I'm fine with stock silicone M for now, however they don't provide perfect isolation (I can hear outside sounds and talk with other people) I'm wondering it's my ears or maybe design choice?

From what I've learned it's best not to use non-senn tips, especially ones without little foam, as it's the only thing preventing earwax getting inside the driver, hence I'm not going to experiment with different brands. As already been mentioned maybe tips from other senn models fit better, as they too got foams, however the choice is limited.

Been listening to my pair for 10hrs so fingers crossed none of the drivers fail like reported by other customers especially on amazon. As for sound my initial impression is I'm surprised some claim these are fun sounding, if so that's only one side of a coin. To me they're more on analitical side because of wide soundstage, as well as great resolution and imaging. Been a little worried about peaky treble, fortunetly no sibilance for me, however I rarely get sensitive to it anyways. Another surprise was the fact IE300 contrary to some, are not a "smartphone dongle" which sounds great on anything. Far from it... these will pin point every single flaw of gear you listen them on.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #551 of 738
Mine was purchased on sale @ $199.95 sometime (month or two?) ago, local store, but it was just the same at the official US website. I think it sounds good enough at $299.95, but $199.95 (or less) is perfect.

My IE300 had some left channel cutouts during the *first* day and initial week thereafter-which mixed with some reviews and opinions elsewhere-made me think they were faulty and that the Chinese factory was not helping them much. But now there are no more cutouts or defects of any kind-I wonder if the factory fresh parts they are using give a false bad impression? Contacts are not clean enough with new parts?

Now I do not doubt some of you that had to make returns-just stating my experience. Also worth noting that I do not use the IE300 *exclusively*, and do not know how they would fare with constant daily use and "abuse".

Side note on tips again: their included silicon tips at best provide "normal" isolation-foam tips generally provide better isolation with tradeoffs (high frequency extension dampening.) Some great silicon tips isolate better than the stock tips, but may let the treble emphasis be too much for a few users. I am not treble sensitive and still prefer the stock tips, as I feel they make the IE300 sounds the most balanced, not losing the highs but also controlling its "peaks", and having the bass sound more natural. Something like the Final E tips will add even more bass, highlight some part of the upper mid response, and take away too much air and sizzle, changing the IEM frequency response a bit too much *to my taste*-but that may be what some of you want.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #552 of 738

The included tips fit my ears fine too, with some silicone tips I have to insert then back them out a little to get a seal, same with the Sennheiser silicone. I always try multiple different tips with every IEM then settle on one. I like Comply 400 with the ie300. I have seen some reviewers describe the supplied tips as proprietary which is misleading, it implies that only those tips can be used and they ought to know better. I get that the Sennheiser tips have the foam insert and why it is there and that may be what was meant but, that should have been explained. I've spoken to a few people who thought that the Sennheiser tips had to be used, it was news to them that most of the easiest to obtain and popular tips fit.

The complaints about the memory wire seemed absurd.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #555 of 738
It only needs to be bent over the ear, it doesn't support any weight, just guides the cables over the ears. Perhaps they just can't help messing with them.
I just leave mine in the shape of my ear and carefully take the buds out without disturbing the shape of the hooks. Then I put the hooks over my ears, and twist the IEMs into my ears to put them back on. I almost never have to reshape them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back