Sennheiser IE 80 S impression thread

1. Sennheiser
    Overall, we are extremely pleased with the favorable impressions from our first adopters! Thank you for choosing the IE 80 S as your audio companions, and sharing your experiences!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Sennheiser https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://en-us.sennheiser.com/
  2. Deftone
    Ok no worries, I actually wanted it to hold my IE800S with custom snugs tips, this newer 80S case looks much larger for my need.

3. SlothRock
    Just signed up for an account here due to purchasing the IE 80 S! This is my first ever set of high-end in ear headphones and I'm very excited! I'm coming from using cheap $10 earbuds my whole life and just using the good over-hear headphones at home. Wanted to upgrade my commute/travel listening and decided to pick these up. I'll update this thread once they've arrived to provide impressions.

gc335 and stronggeek like this.
  4. stronggeek
    Welcome Slothrock! I did the same thing last week. I've used the the IE 60s, but wanted to step it up a bit. I know a lot about these, but just didn't want o pay the price. So far so good.

SlothRock likes this.
  5. Thesonofkrypton
    Got these in today, gave them a quick audition and very happy with the sound signature and very impressed with the soundstage on these. Starting the burn in process. But initial impression is that they make a great companion to the HD660S.

Happy to be back in the Sennheiser camp after being away so long.

Deftone and SlothRock like this.
  6. SlothRock
    Just got my IE 80 S in and I'm IN LOVE! These things sound incredible. It's like having over the ear headphones but in a tiny IEM. Instead of the music sounding like its been funneled directly to your ear, it feels like it surrounds you. I still have breaking in to do but these things sound awesome.

Only question I have: would these sound even better if I had a company make me custom molded eartips to go with them? If so, what companies are recommended here to do something like that?

MM1990 likes this.
  7. MM1990
    I have had my IE 80 S for some time now and I think they sound great. I enjoy the sound signature and the stage is amazing.
    They are really comfortable to wear and I like their design better compared to the IE80.
    All in all they are a definite improvement to the IE80 to my ears. The bass is better and they sound more balanced but keep that fun sound I enjoyed with the IE80.
    After all it's all about preferences, but I am definitely keeping them.:)

8. Deftone
    Try snugs

9. mickrich
    I have a pair on the way.
    Couldn’t resist them for €270 on Amazon.it
    I already have ie80 and ie60 so will post impressions when I get them.
    Even if they sound the same as the old ie80 but fit better due to smaller size I will be happy.

10. god-bluff
    A good case for all IE6/60/7/8/80 would be the CX6 case (part no. 525737) is still available from Sennheiser

It is a high quality semi rigid zipper case with room for all the accessories without being too bulky tye ear phones fit in the hard plastic inner core and the cable wraps around it. The ear hooks and bass adjuster/ cleaning tool fit on the outside under the cable leaving plenty of space for tips and headphone jack.

The best I've had

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM
  11. god-bluff
    On the subject of the IE 80 S it comfortably won a group test in this month's HiFi Choice magazine for £240-£300 in ear headphones

Against an admittedly less than stellar group consisting of the Final F4100 (2nd), Orivetti New Primacy & NuForce HEM4 (joint 3rd place), oBravo erib-7 and Westoe W20 it was liked for its 'Wonderfully balanced sound, flexible design and build quality'

12. squee116
    The warmth and mentions of bass sounds like what people use to describe the re600s v2, which I rather like. Any comparisons to them?

13. Deftone
    Thanks I’ll check it out