Sennheiser IE 80 S impression thread
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #62 of 113
Currently, only the previous generation IE case is available for sale separately (and would fit the IE 80 S):
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/case-for-ie-6-7-8

To find cases and other replacement accessories, go to the Sennheiser website for your country, select Service and Support, repairs, and Sennheiser accessories. If you have an IE 80 S case that becomes damaged, you can contact our service department for replacement.

Ok no worries, I actually wanted it to hold my IE800S with custom snugs tips, this newer 80S case looks much larger for my need.

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #63 of 113
Just signed up for an account here due to purchasing the IE 80 S! This is my first ever set of high-end in ear headphones and I'm very excited! I'm coming from using cheap $10 earbuds my whole life and just using the good over-hear headphones at home. Wanted to upgrade my commute/travel listening and decided to pick these up. I'll update this thread once they've arrived to provide impressions.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #65 of 113
Got these in today, gave them a quick audition and very happy with the sound signature and very impressed with the soundstage on these. Starting the burn in process. But initial impression is that they make a great companion to the HD660S.

Happy to be back in the Sennheiser camp after being away so long.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #66 of 113
Just got my IE 80 S in and I'm IN LOVE! These things sound incredible. It's like having over the ear headphones but in a tiny IEM. Instead of the music sounding like its been funneled directly to your ear, it feels like it surrounds you. I still have breaking in to do but these things sound awesome.

Only question I have: would these sound even better if I had a company make me custom molded eartips to go with them? If so, what companies are recommended here to do something like that?

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #67 of 113
I have had my IE 80 S for some time now and I think they sound great. I enjoy the sound signature and the stage is amazing.
They are really comfortable to wear and I like their design better compared to the IE80.
All in all they are a definite improvement to the IE80 to my ears. The bass is better and they sound more balanced but keep that fun sound I enjoyed with the IE80.
After all it's all about preferences, but I am definitely keeping them.:)

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #68 of 113
Just got my IE 80 S in and I'm IN LOVE! These things sound incredible. It's like having over the ear headphones but in a tiny IEM. Instead of the music sounding like its been funneled directly to your ear, it feels like it surrounds you. I still have breaking in to do but these things sound awesome.

Only question I have: would these sound even better if I had a company make me custom molded eartips to go with them? If so, what companies are recommended here to do something like that?

Try snugs

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #69 of 113
I have a pair on the way.
Couldn’t resist them for €270 on Amazon.it
I already have ie80 and ie60 so will post impressions when I get them.
Even if they sound the same as the old ie80 but fit better due to smaller size I will be happy.

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #70 of 113
Ok no worries, I actually wanted it to hold my IE800S with custom snugs tips, this newer 80S case looks much larger for my need.
A good case for all IE6/60/7/8/80 would be the CX6 case (part no. 525737) is still available from Sennheiser

It is a high quality semi rigid zipper case with room for all the accessories without being too bulky tye ear phones fit in the hard plastic inner core and the cable wraps around it. The ear hooks and bass adjuster/ cleaning tool fit on the outside under the cable leaving plenty of space for tips and headphone jack.

The best I've had

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #71 of 113
On the subject of the IE 80 S it comfortably won a group test in this month's HiFi Choice magazine for £240-£300 in ear headphones

Against an admittedly less than stellar group consisting of the Final F4100 (2nd), Orivetti New Primacy & NuForce HEM4 (joint 3rd place), oBravo erib-7 and Westoe W20 it was liked for its 'Wonderfully balanced sound, flexible design and build quality'

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #72 of 113
The warmth and mentions of bass sounds like what people use to describe the re600s v2, which I rather like. Any comparisons to them?

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #73 of 113
A good case for all IE6/60/7/8/80 would be the CX6 case (part no. 525737) is still available from Sennheiser

It is a high quality semi rigid zipper case with room for all the accessories without being too bulky tye ear phones fit in the hard plastic inner core and the cable wraps around it. The ear hooks and bass adjuster/ cleaning tool fit on the outside under the cable leaving plenty of space for tips and headphone jack.

The best I've had
Thanks I’ll check it out

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #74 of 113
Just got my IE80S today. In the studio all day so I will post impressions when I get to have a good listen.
Here are some pics and some with IE80 and IE60.

IMG_3116.jpg IMG_3117.jpg IMG_3118.jpg IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3114.JPG IMG_3112.JPG IMG_3111.JPG IMG_3110.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3106.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #75 of 113
Hey guys,

just signed in here for a couple of days, after following this forum for some time. At first I thank you all for your reviews and impressions. I also wanted to share my impressions about the Sennheiser IE80S, and I hope also my personal point of view helps someone, as everything what was written here helped me to choose.
I must add that I live in Germany and I am a little bit of a Sennheiser fan, after testing many headphones along the last 30 years, I mean headphones that don’t brake the budget too much. Also, I listen really to every kind of music, from classical to heavy metal, from jazz to psychedelic, from electronic to folklore. What I don’t...let me say “it doesn’t move me”...is rap and hiphop, but I’m actually open, don’t reject any kind of music.
After some happy years with my old IE8, I broke them :,( I didn’t want to buy some cheap IEMs until I find something better, so I got the IE80. In the beginning I was disappointed with them (coming from IE 8), I also needed some 3-4 weeks to get them to sound somewhere near the IE 8, and to find a sweeter spot on the bass tweaker. My mistake was that I always used the silicone tips, in the beginning finding the Comply foams as “funny to fumble with”. Please excuse my ignorance! What a...newbie I was!!!
As I woke up from my ignorance I jumped from mp3 to flac, HiRes and uncompressed files, I bought me a FiiO X7 DAP with the AM3 Module (the one with balanced output), because I discovered the efficiency of balanced headphones, and finally adopted the Comply tips :)
Well, it began with the fact that I was never completely pleased with the IE 80, I didn’t get what I wanted from them, in the end sawing them as a Bridge-to-Better-IEMs. I wanted, an began to look for a pair of balanced IEMs...but my budget doesn’t allow to get the UEs, or my favorite, the Astell & Kern AK T8iE MKII :,(
So I didn’t try to stretch over my fence and bought at first the FiiO RC-IE8B headphones cable, made especially for Sennheiser IE8, IE80. As I first used this cable on the IE80 I didn’t believed my ears what I hear, the difference to what I was hearing till then was huge!!! Of course it’s not only the cable, it’s also the balanced output on the FiiO AM3 module.
Now, after I’ve read everything what was postet here :) I got the Sennheiser IE80S, I use them of course with the balanced cable (same connection type) and I must say I’m impressed, or as someone said here, “I’m in love!” They not only sounded very well out of the box, but after a week (and some bass tweaking) they developed to an amazing pair of IEMs, much better then my previous IE80, wich sometimes, depend of the music style or recording, sounded harsh (my personal, subjective opinion), and on wich I had to crank up the bass.
Until now the IE80S are the best IEMs that I’ve ever bought, they seem warmer but also more detailed then the IE80, they’re detailed without getting analytic, you can hear not only the very clear picking of a bass chord but also get goosebumps from the deep sound that comes after that. They’re really loud but they don’t loose detail when you turn them louder. The sound scene on the IE80S seems almost the same compared to IE80, perhaps a little bit wider, but the sound seems more transparent, even 3-dimensional. I began to hear all my files again because I found myself hearing sounds that seemed to come from above, others from deep down, and even from the back.
So thank you again for your impressions, and hope this will help someone else as it helped me.

P. S. Almost forgot, because some people reported here they encountered problems checking them. I bought them in a normal electronics-shop, nothing special, and I scanned the code an the hologram on the package, I’m lucky, Sennheiser said they’re genuine :)

Also, sorry for my English, it’s not so good as it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back