Sennheiser IE 6,7, & 8 any reviews/opinions? can they replace my shures?
Oct 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 20
Have only had a couple of hours listening to the pair that were delivered earlier today, so far not disappointed, but not blown away either.

This isn't an attempt at a full review, I'll leave that to more capable posters, just a few comments.

Packaging - very nice looking but a bit too clever in that it would benefit from opening instructions on the outside (edit: there are!).

Carry case - probably in the same category as the packaging, looks great but may not prove too practical in the long run (edit: it actually is quite practical but a bit too big for every day use).

Comfort - good, but I could only get the larger foam tips to seal and they didn't pass my yawn test (do they still seal when I yawn?) so I swapped them for the same Comply tips I use on my Triple Fi's. Otherwise fine though.

Ear loops - I think I will lose these soon as they don't grip the wire very well and are bound to fall off. I know that many posters don't like memory wire but in this case I think it would be a better option. It may be that with some further use I'm proved wrong, I hope so anyway.

Sound quality - I love my HD 650's and was hoping for a portable equivalent so took the plunge and bought the IE 8's before reading a review, something I don't often do. In reality I didn't expect true equivalence, just more than I get from the IEM's I own at the moment (ER-4P, Triple Fi, and UM2) and I'm not sure that I'm getting that, but it's early days. I'm a believer in both burn in, and as these are dynamics there should be some, and in the user adjusting to the sound over a period of time. With regard to the latter, switching from the UM2's to the ER-4P's the sound is initially very thin and almost unbearable but after a few minutes their strengths start to shine through (there isn't a 'faster' IEM on the market IMHO) and their weaknesses don't seem to be there any more. So in the case of the IE 8 I'm hoping a combination of the two work some magic and I find myself won over by them.

To describe the sound, nothing stands out, which is probably a good thing, bass is full (at the lowest setting), treble is definitely there but not as noticeable as the triples or ER-4P but better than the UM2's, and the mids sound nice, but vocals don't seem as good as the UM2's. Soundstage seems very wide though, and placement is nice.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive but at the moment the Triples sound significantly better to my ears, as do the HD 650's (probably a dumb remark).

When I get time I'll post an update but it probably won't be 'til next week as I'm snowed under with work and can't do much listening, but will burn them in.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 20
Any news about this or any Reviews?
Is there a significant difference between IE 6, 7 and 8 with the sound quality?
I'm using Shure e2c at the moment, are the IE's much better?

The most interesting thing for me is the kevlar cable and that it can be exchanged because the cables of the Shures broke after around 12 months and the replacements also broke on the earpart.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 20
My commuting phones arrived today IE6’s. These are by far the best earphones for under £100 I have ever owned and iv had a few (shure EC2, UE superfi5 EB, Bose triport, etc).

I just listen to music; I don’t make it, edit it, or produce it so I don’t need to have earphones like the equivalent Shure or UE that are to me too clinical and pernickety. These are warm but clean earphones that just make the music feel better. These are also so small and light, the UE equivalent bass tuned earphones make you look so stupid but these are actually very smart indeed.

The bass is very deep as is advertised but it is not dominating or muddy, all I had to do on my iPod was set the EQ to off and the balance was perfect. The mids are punchy and strong and the highs are crisp and tidy. The best thing about these though is the huge soundstage given for the money, this has been comented across the whole range of these new IEM's. They made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up once more to the dire straits, sultans of swing, a very demanding track if you want it to sound great.

They are not the best in the world but of their price range? I think so, with such a big feeling open soundstage and strength across the frequency range I would not recommend anything else for under £100. Just another great sennheiser product.

PS. They blow the ultimate ears superfi5 extended bass out of the water, if bass is what you’re after set your EQ up and plug these in.

May 22, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #19 of 20
for some reason i like the high and the bass from the superfi 5 eb than that of the ie7. but ie 7 has better soundstage

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 20
Ive been tossing around the UE Super Fi EB's or the Sen Ie6 cant make a decision, There the same price now and Im a big time bass lover but dont want to sacrifice much details and soundstage, I owned the UE Super Fi 5 pros and they broke twice but great customer service from UE . And I own 4 pairs of CX Series Senns now the CX95 being my favorite (discontinued), I just want that next level. Any Help? Thanks. Tough Choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back