1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser IE 6,7, & 8 any reviews/opinions? can they replace my shures?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by akasan, Mar 2, 2008.
Next

Last
  1. akasan
    title says it all. The ie 6 & 7 are supposed to be out this month, the ie 8 ($450 good lord) in april

2. jant71
    You have to search for the thread where Jude had the IE6 and 7 for a night at CES.

He had new out of the box pairs so they did not get enough burn-in for dynamics but his impression was that, at least with the IE7, head-fier's would like them and they seem to run with the offerings of Shure, Westone, and UE. No direct comparisons yet though.

I like the 7 and might well be the long-term guinea pig. They will all be cheaper than the MSRP even right off the bat. The $299 IE7 is already pre-order for $222 so they will be quite competitive price-wise as long as they are SQ-wise.

I am looking to replace something that is better than an E500, Triple.fi or ER4S. My ES cabled/S adapted SF 3's which shells have just about disintegrated and are not comfortable enough to just replace the drivers.

So, I will be holding to an even higher standard of SQ and if the Senn works for
    me it should be good enough to replace your Shures. That is the hope though. The reality remains to be seen.

3. smoka
    I listened to IE7s at CanJam and I was WOWed by them. Listened to fast music (mix of techno/alternative) straight out of my mp3 player unamped. I would say they can easily compete with my UM2s (favorite IEMs to date) in terms of both comfort and SQ.. I need to join team Sennheiser [​IMG]

4. PeterDLai
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I listened to IE7s at CanJam and I was WOWed by them. Listened to fast music (mix of techno/alternative) straight out of my mp3 player unamped. I would say they can easily compete with my UM2s (favorite IEMs to date) in terms of both comfort and SQ.. I need to join team Sennheiser [​IMG]

Was the IE8 model at CanJam?

5. speakerhead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    You have to search for the thread where Jude had the IE6 and 7 for a night at CES.

He had new out of the box pairs so they did not get enough burn-in for dynamics but his impression was that, at least with the IE7, head-fier's would like them and they seem to run with the offerings of Shure, Westone, and UE. No direct comparisons yet though.

I like the 7 and might well be the long-term guinea pig. They will all be cheaper than the MSRP even right off the bat. The $299 IE7 is already pre-order for $222 so they will be quite competitive price-wise as long as they are SQ-wise.

I am looking to replace something that is better than an E500, Triple.fi or ER4S. My ES cabled/S adapted SF 3's which shells have just about disintegrated and are not comfortable enough to just replace the drivers.

So, I will be holding to an even higher standard of SQ and if the Senn works for
    me it should be good enough to replace your Shures. That is the hope though. The reality remains to be seen.

there is no burn in on armatures

6. syed786
    1.anyone know where to get ie7 for cheap or r they out yet

2.what is the difference between ie-7 and ie-8

thanks...

7. western120
    are any of those triple driver assembly ?

8. syed786
    no none of them is armature drivers they all made from dynamic driver.
    i think what they did was shrink the big over the head studio audiophile headphone into an IEM since they all use dynamic drivers because dynamic drivers have more impact and power punch.

9. kikkomang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    there is no burn in on armatures

yes armatures can't "burn-in" but these drivers are not armature drivers. they're dynamic.

10. western120
    so what's the difference between the technology of these and tf10s or SE530s ?

11. shigzeo Contributor
    i am excited to see what sennheiser can do with a pair of canal/iems. i am listening to what has blown my mind for canals: victor hp-fx500 but they have one very big weakness: the cable. short and stiffens.

senn will make quality from the bottom up. they are the headphone company.

the shures and tf that western is talking about use armatures: adapted from hearing aid technology. it is good but needs real expense and many drivers to reproduce the entire sound spectrum properly and even then, tends to deliver rolled off highs or lows.

dynammics in the senn line, atrio line and most canalphones other than ue models produce bass at low volumes as well as a non-piercing sound that is often more soothing than armatures as well as more headphone like.

if you like and crave details, then armatures are probably for you but if you prefer your canals to sound more like headphones or small speakers and the ability to relax to music, i would suggest the dynammics.

but dynammics are much more constrained by what housing they have. my atrio were perfect except for the plastic housing which was soft and caused some bad echoes. other than that they were my favourites. the denon c700 have that bettered by i think they have no dampening materials and the bass is boomy even amped.

dyanmmics are harder to do right but im sure senn will do well.

12. elnero
    Shigzeo, that's some pretty broad generalities about armatures and in my opinion some pretty far off base ones at that. For instance, the SA6's are a single armature that does a very good job of covering the entire sound spectrum and you know, I seem to be able to relax just fine when listening to armatures like the SA6's or E500's.

13. woopididi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

where are the IE7 222$ on pre-order? i can find only 299$.
    do you know of any special prices on IE6, or other new cheaper than IE7 models?

14. majkel
    Is it worth to get the IE7's or just grab the CX95's? I don't care for the IE7's looks.

15. jant71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    where are the IE7 222$ on pre-order? i can find only 299$.
    do you know of any special prices on IE6, or other new cheaper than IE7 models?

Full compass is the one with the lower prices. I would say that they should have a good price on the 6 also, didn't check though.

I think it was earphone solutions that says the release is sometime in June. Probably another month or so. I checked with the full compass people a while(2 months) back since I didn't believe the 2-3 weeks until release. Sure enough Feb. turned into June and that isn't 100% by any means. The Senn reps never got back to them and I knew they would be months off. I ended up getting a pair of Shures instead.

Next

Last