Sennheiser IE 6,7, & 8 any reviews/opinions? can they replace my shures?
Mar 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 20
You have to search for the thread where Jude had the IE6 and 7 for a night at CES.

He had new out of the box pairs so they did not get enough burn-in for dynamics but his impression was that, at least with the IE7, head-fier's would like them and they seem to run with the offerings of Shure, Westone, and UE. No direct comparisons yet though.

I like the 7 and might well be the long-term guinea pig. They will all be cheaper than the MSRP even right off the bat. The $299 IE7 is already pre-order for $222 so they will be quite competitive price-wise as long as they are SQ-wise.

I am looking to replace something that is better than an E500, Triple.fi or ER4S. My ES cabled/S adapted SF 3's which shells have just about disintegrated and are not comfortable enough to just replace the drivers.

So, I will be holding to an even higher standard of SQ and if the Senn works for
me it should be good enough to replace your Shures. That is the hope though. The reality remains to be seen.

May 5, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 20
I listened to IE7s at CanJam and I was WOWed by them. Listened to fast music (mix of techno/alternative) straight out of my mp3 player unamped. I would say they can easily compete with my UM2s (favorite IEMs to date) in terms of both comfort and SQ.. I need to join team Sennheiser
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to IE7s at CanJam and I was WOWed by them. Listened to fast music (mix of techno/alternative) straight out of my mp3 player unamped. I would say they can easily compete with my UM2s (favorite IEMs to date) in terms of both comfort and SQ.. I need to join team Sennheiser
smily_headphones1.gif

Was the IE8 model at CanJam?

May 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to search for the thread where Jude had the IE6 and 7 for a night at CES.

He had new out of the box pairs so they did not get enough burn-in for dynamics but his impression was that, at least with the IE7, head-fier's would like them and they seem to run with the offerings of Shure, Westone, and UE. No direct comparisons yet though.

I like the 7 and might well be the long-term guinea pig. They will all be cheaper than the MSRP even right off the bat. The $299 IE7 is already pre-order for $222 so they will be quite competitive price-wise as long as they are SQ-wise.

I am looking to replace something that is better than an E500, Triple.fi or ER4S. My ES cabled/S adapted SF 3's which shells have just about disintegrated and are not comfortable enough to just replace the drivers.

So, I will be holding to an even higher standard of SQ and if the Senn works for
me it should be good enough to replace your Shures. That is the hope though. The reality remains to be seen.

there is no burn in on armatures

May 6, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 20
are any of those triple driver assembly ?

May 6, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 20
no none of them is armature drivers they all made from dynamic driver.
i think what they did was shrink the big over the head studio audiophile headphone into an IEM since they all use dynamic drivers because dynamic drivers have more impact and power punch.

May 6, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no burn in on armatures

yes armatures can't "burn-in" but these drivers are not armature drivers. they're dynamic.

May 6, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 20
so what's the difference between the technology of these and tf10s or SE530s ?

May 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 20
i am excited to see what sennheiser can do with a pair of canal/iems. i am listening to what has blown my mind for canals: victor hp-fx500 but they have one very big weakness: the cable. short and stiffens.

senn will make quality from the bottom up. they are the headphone company.

the shures and tf that western is talking about use armatures: adapted from hearing aid technology. it is good but needs real expense and many drivers to reproduce the entire sound spectrum properly and even then, tends to deliver rolled off highs or lows.

dynammics in the senn line, atrio line and most canalphones other than ue models produce bass at low volumes as well as a non-piercing sound that is often more soothing than armatures as well as more headphone like.

if you like and crave details, then armatures are probably for you but if you prefer your canals to sound more like headphones or small speakers and the ability to relax to music, i would suggest the dynammics.

but dynammics are much more constrained by what housing they have. my atrio were perfect except for the plastic housing which was soft and caused some bad echoes. other than that they were my favourites. the denon c700 have that bettered by i think they have no dampening materials and the bass is boomy even amped.

dyanmmics are harder to do right but im sure senn will do well.

May 6, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 20
Shigzeo, that's some pretty broad generalities about armatures and in my opinion some pretty far off base ones at that. For instance, the SA6's are a single armature that does a very good job of covering the entire sound spectrum and you know, I seem to be able to relax just fine when listening to armatures like the SA6's or E500's.

May 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

where are the IE7 222$ on pre-order? i can find only 299$.
do you know of any special prices on IE6, or other new cheaper than IE7 models?

May 7, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where are the IE7 222$ on pre-order? i can find only 299$.
do you know of any special prices on IE6, or other new cheaper than IE7 models?

Full compass is the one with the lower prices. I would say that they should have a good price on the 6 also, didn't check though.

I think it was earphone solutions that says the release is sometime in June. Probably another month or so. I checked with the full compass people a while(2 months) back since I didn't believe the 2-3 weeks until release. Sure enough Feb. turned into June and that isn't 100% by any means. The Senn reps never got back to them and I knew they would be months off. I ended up getting a pair of Shures instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back