Sennheiser HE90
Jan 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 79

Quote:
Listen to classical on the HE90/HEV90 and you'll get a good idea of why they cost so much.

No headphone should ever command that kind of price when you could get a really nice set of speakers for the same, unless they were a one-off run, which they weren't.... though I'm not really one to talk considering the money I've invested in this hobby.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 79
Right but the same argument could be made about any headphone above about $1000.  None of them will match the performance of a very good speaker in almost all areas.  I think many Summit Fi HFers are in a situation (or have preferences) that causes them to buy headphones instead of speakers regardless of price.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 79

Quote:
Hey, I was wondering why those old headphones (1994 i think) are soooooooo expensive? I found an auction on ebay and some dude sold it for 21 000 pounds! I know they are some premium headphones but the price for me is just wrong.

some of the best headphones ever made. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #19 of 79
Hype and rarity.  The sound is overhyped.  People pay top dollar to own the hype.  Once they have spent top dollar, psychology dictates that they will boost the hype further to justify their expense. 

I owned the HE90 - bright sounding, poor bass, definitely not worth even 1/5 of the asking price

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 79

Quote:
Right but the same argument could be made about any headphone above about $1000.  None of them will match the performance of a very good speaker in almost all areas.  I think many Summit Fi HFers are in a situation (or have preferences) that causes them to buy headphones instead of speakers regardless of price.

The $1000 price bracket is a whole different ball game from the $30000 price bracket. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 79
Right, but at what price point does it make sense to choose speakers over headphones?  This exact discussion on headphones vs speakers and supply vs demand happens in every single HE90 thread on HF. :p

As for being bright, the HE90 is the closest to a perfect diffuse field that Headroom has ever measured to my knowledge.  I'm trying to find the damn graph but having trouble doing so.  I know I've posted it before.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #22 of 79
This classified is now closed.
It is not even on For Sale.
We can always discuss the value and price of HE90 and while
we are discussing smart guy has moved in and snatched the HE90 away.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #24 of 79

Quote:

I owned the HE90 - bright sounding, poor bass, definitely not worth even 1/5 of the asking price

Well so it seems those headphones are overpriced like Beats =]

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 79

Quote:
Well so it seems those headphones are overpriced like Beats =]

Speaking of Beats, did you hear that Monster Cable and Beats announced their partnership is no more?  Monster will develop their own line of headphones, and Beats will maintain the rights to their own products and licensing.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #26 of 79
Yep I heard about it. Maybe Monster would not overprice its headphones...

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #27 of 79

Quote:
Hype and rarity.  The sound is overhyped.  People pay top dollar to own the hype.  Once they have spent top dollar, psychology dictates that they will boost the hype further to justify their expense. 

Every now and again these types of posts appear here.  I've owned these headphones and the HEV90 amp for several (like 10) years and I have tried them with dozens of amps including custom amps costing 10+K.  What does this all mean?  Well, coupled with the fact that if you are listening to the limited edition new run sennheiser released several years ago, you could be hearing two different phones.  But also, these headphones vary quite a bit depending on the amplification.  Drive them through a poor stax amp with a converter cable and they will sound crappy.  I have no idea what basis is being used to describe these headphones here.  What amp were you using?  What source?  These are high end audiophile phones where every component piece matters and impacts the sound.  
Quote:
It pops up every so often here and on eBay. 
I'd recommend the HE60 as it's at least 95% of the HE90 and will cost a fraction of same.
Bryan
PS: I LOVE my HE60, they are truly outstanding phones!

I also own the HE60's.  They are not 95% of an HE90.  They are totally different and not easily comparable.  Enjoyable for their own and different reasons.  The HE90's, to me, were the sole reason I never was tempted to switch to listening to speakers.  I have since moved onto a speaker rig, but my rocking chair, late at night, with my Orpheus combo is still one of the best things I can do for my ears, and mind :wink:

Yes they are expensive.  And probably overpriced.  But there are very few systems that sound like it.  Couple it with a good aftermarket headphone amp like the T2 and you are listening to some of the best audio reproduction available.  They aren't about transparency, speed, depth, detail, soundstaging, bass, or any particular characteristic.  They create their own world where a recording takes on a euphonic albeit somewhat inaccurate glimpse into the music.  It depends on what you are going for.  As for me, these phones aren't reference monitors - there are plenty of choices for that - and generally much less enjoyable from a listening perspective.  But these things just take you into pure listening bliss!

Neil

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 79

Quote:

I also own the HE60's.  They are not 95% of an HE90.  They are totally different and not easily comparable.  Enjoyable for their own and different reasons.  The HE90's, to me, were the sole reason I never was tempted to switch to listening to speakers.  I have since moved onto a speaker rig, but my rocking chair, late at night, with my Orpheus combo is still one of the best things I can do for my ears, and mind :wink:

Yes they are expensive.  And probably overpriced.  But there are very few systems that sound like it.  Couple it with a good aftermarket headphone amp like the T2 and you are listening to some of the best audio reproduction available.  They aren't about transparency, speed, depth, detail, soundstaging, bass, or any particular characteristic.  

Neil

I also personally don't understand those who have reported such bad experience with HE90.  Although I own HE60, Omega II and have listened to SR009, Omega I, OII MkII, various other Staxen, I still love the way HE90 makes music sound so intimate and pleasant.  Sure wish one of the HE90 detractors would sell me theirs at a good price :)

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 79
Quote:

Every now and again these types of posts appear here.  I've owned these headphones and the HEV90 amp for several (like 10) years and I have tried them with dozens of amps including custom amps costing 10+K.  What does this all mean?  Well, coupled with the fact that if you are listening to the limited edition new run sennheiser released several years ago, you could be hearing two different phones.  But also, these headphones vary quite a bit depending on the amplification.  Drive them through a poor stax amp with a converter cable and they will sound crappy.  I have no idea what basis is being used to describe these headphones here.  What amp were you using?  What source?  These are high end audiophile phones where every component piece matters and impacts the sound. 

Hey now, don't be condescending.  I don't think theres a person on the planet who purchased HE90s to run them through an SRD-5, from an iPod :p  I used both a KGSS and a WES at home, and have had plentiful hours at quiet mini-meets with a matched serial number HEV90 system.  I also heard them through a BHSE that Justin brought to a NYC meet.  I'm not sure what you mean by "basis," except that I am comparing them to my experiences with live music, as well as to every other can I have owned (a LOT). 

I feel sorry that you wasted so much money on either a SP or Rudistor creation, but having wasted your money does not mean that you had "better" amplification. 

Quote:
Yes they are expensive.  And probably overpriced.  But there are very few systems that sound like it.  Couple it with a good aftermarket headphone amp like the T2 and you are listening to some of the best audio reproduction available.  They aren't about transparency, speed, depth, detail, soundstaging, bass, or any particular characteristic.  They create their own world where a recording takes on a euphonic albeit somewhat inaccurate glimpse into the music.  It depends on what you are going for.  As for me, these phones aren't reference monitors - there are plenty of choices for that - and generally much less enjoyable from a listening perspective.  But these things just take you into pure listening bliss!

The T2 would be an absolutely horrid combination with the HE90!  There is a reason the HEV90/Aristaeus are so colored - the cans dictate a flawed amp!  I heard the HE90 through one of the most transparent amps in the world, the BHSE, which is easily comparable to the T2 (indeed, the difference between these two amps is extremely subtle, even with an SR-009).  The sound of an HE90 through a transparent amp serves to bring all of the cans' flaws into the spotlight.  It is worthwhile to take the time to set up such a system, just so you can experience the horror :D 

Quote:
Sure wish one of the HE90 detractors would sell me theirs at a good price :)

I would have, but another "zomg best headphones evar!!!!!" guy gave me a LOT of money for them :wink: 

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 79

Quote:
The T2 would be an absolutely horrid combination with the HE90!  There is a reason the HEV90/Aristaeus are so colored - the cans dictate a flawed amp!  I heard the HE90 through one of the most transparent amps in the world, the BHSE, which is easily comparable to the T2 (indeed, the difference between these two amps is extremely subtle, even with an SR-009).  The sound of an HE90 through a transparent amp serves to bring all of the cans' flaws into the spotlight.  It is worthwhile to take the time to set up such a system, just so you can experience the horror :D 

Not true, and I have the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back