Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Feb 19, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,911 of 3,016
Does a digital player like the Bryston BDP Pi need a long burn in time ?
Will it sound more detailed after burn in ?
It's funny but I lost some details changing from iPod>mojo>nighthawks to bdp pi>hdvd800>hd800s !
The birds and beach effects at the beginning of Alan Walker's Faded and the echo/second voice at the beginning of Chris Brown's Look at Me Now sound more obvious with the iPod combi :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why this is surprising. The Mojo is likely a better DAC. As for using it with the HDVD 800 there is no reason this cannot be done. Though the Mojo sometimes will shut off due to heat when it is charged and synced at the same time-- especially when the ambient room temperature is high.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,912 of 3,016
I don't know about the Bryston but my Sennheiser amp definitely sounds richer after about a 4 or 5 hour warmup.  Most electronics offer improved performance after burn in. Some just require more burn in time than others.  Don't confuse burn-in with warm-up: burn in is initial time on after never being played. Warm up is time spent after turn on for a particular listening session. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2,913 of 3,016
The Bryston BDP PI is a digital server so how does that have anything to do with burn in and warm up for the HDVD 800?

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #2,915 of 3,016
Sorry if this is a repeated question (I couldn't read this entire thread)

Anyone used the Uptone Regen with the HDVD800 ?
Is so, is it worth it ?
How much improvement of the sound from the HDVD800 ?
How did you connect it for best effect ?

Thanks & regards,
Felix
SG

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,917 of 3,016
Thanks! A perfect review, very elaborate and very honest!
Just what I was looking for!

I'm a strong proponent of the HDVD800 with the HD800. 
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,918 of 3,016
Excellent read and as an owner of the HDVD800 I find it hard to understand why the community, owners of Senn HD800 or S have rarely embraced this it for its excellent synergy.
Of all the gear I have purchased Amps, DACS over the last decade the HDVD800 and HD800S are still part of my collection.

Thanks for a very honest take on this fine amp.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,919 of 3,016
  Excellent read and as an owner of the HDVD800 I find it hard to understand why the community, owners of Senn HD800 or S have rarely embraced this it for its excellent synergy.
Of all the gear I have purchased Amps, DACS over the last decade the HDVD800 and HD800S are still part of my collection.

Thanks for a very honest take on this fine amp.

Thanks! A perfect review, very elaborate and very honest!
Just what I was looking for!

I'm a strong proponent of the HDVD800 with the HD800. 
L3000.gif

Thanks guys!

Yes - the HDVD800 has really gotten that much love, but it is a safe choice for the HD800. Any comments on the HD800 vs HD800S and the HDVD800, Dionysus? 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,920 of 3,016
hmmmmm.......

In the end an HD800 is still an HD800, if you know what I mean.

So to better answer the question, both the HD800S and regular 800's synergy is excellent with the HDVD800. Frankly I have had several amps and none of them have the synergy that I find with the HDVD800. Now the DAC which seem to be overly criticized in my opinion is polite maybe to much, but I think it was done by design. Maybe for the very nature of the HD800 short comings.

The S lost some of the killer trebles top end some, not that it sounds bad, no.  
But it lost some of that extra detail the 800 has, the bass is fuller and more but the 800 had good bass, just not the bass in the amounts the S now posses, but its bass was detailed.
For me I always loved the HD800 in its original release the amount of talk about the 6kHz spike never ever bothered me, If I had to do it all over again I would have kept the original but I'm very happy with S.
Currently my setup is mostly used with the Sony HAP and the internal DAC by passed and my main rig I have other gear but this combo is my favorite when I to critical listen, Hope this helps its all just my 2 cents and of course sound is always subjective and this is my personal opinion and experience. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,921 of 3,016
So apparently the black HDVD800S we've all been waiting for will not arrive in spring 2017 as promised; instead we got this: https://hypebeast.com/2017/3/dior-homme-sennheiser-2017-spring-collection

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2,922 of 3,016
  So apparently the black HDVD800S we've all been waiting for will not arrive in spring 2017 as promised; instead we got this: https://hypebeast.com/2017/3/dior-homme-sennheiser-2017-spring-collection

Nah man. I don't think this has nothing to do with that. 
This is just something to promote their products. 

And btw. This is the classical HD800 in the Dior Homme- edition. Not the HD800S. But it does look cool tho. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,923 of 3,016
hmmmmm.......

In the end an HD800 is still an HD800, if you know what I mean.

So to better answer the question, both the HD800S and regular 800's synergy is excellent with the HDVD800. Frankly I have had several amps and none of them have the synergy that I find with the HDVD800. Now the DAC which seem to be overly criticized in my opinion is polite maybe to much, but I think it was done by design. Maybe for the very nature of the HD800 short comings.

The S lost some of the killer trebles top end some, not that it sounds bad, no.  
But it lost some of that extra detail the 800 has, the bass is fuller and more but the 800 had good bass, just not the bass in the amounts the S now posses, but its bass was detailed.
For me I always loved the HD800 in its original release the amount of talk about the 6kHz spike never ever bothered me, If I had to do it all over again I would have kept the original but I'm very happy with S.
Currently my setup is mostly used with the Sony HAP and the internal DAC by passed and my main rig I have other gear but this combo is my favorite when I to critical listen, Hope this helps its all just my 2 cents and of course sound is always subjective and this is my personal opinion and experience. 

Thank you for the nice photos of your setup.
May I ask what headphones cables are you using ?
I'm using the CH800 and planning for a future upgrade.
Are you using an audio power cord for your HDVD800?
I bought the Silver Electra 7 from Wireworld and it made a big difference to my ears. Better imaging, smoother treble and vocals , background noise reduced.
I just ordered some brass footers and weights for my HDVD800, will update if it improves the music.
At the moment, I removed the factory legs and rest the HDVD800 on Vibrapods that improved the bass details.
Just sharing .....

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,925 of 3,016
I use all WireWorld cables, for me those cables do not color the SQ in anyway its like the headphone is directly connected to the source. they are pricey as all get out but the difference between these and stock is huge.

Headphone: NANO-PLATINUM ECLIPSE HEADPHONE CABLE   terminated in Balanced.

Power: AURORA 7 POWER CONDITIONING CORD connected directly to the HDVD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back