Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Feb 16, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #2,896 of 3,016
I'm interested to try the HDVD800 with my HD800, it's a very sexy looking unit and I'm very curious to hear Sennheiser's idea on the HD800.

Many reviews rate the DAC as not that great but the rarely mention how the feed the DAC. I wonder if there is a difference between the USB and the spdif digital input? If anybody could bring me up to date on this I'd be happy, I didn't read through the whole thread. :)
Thanks!

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,897 of 3,016
Although source and cable input matter to some degree, the HDVD 800 uses an older Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC. Overall it was a fine amplifier with HD 800 but a better DAC implementation would have been more ideal. I think Sennheiser viewed the DAC as an added connectivity option and they underestimated how much audiophiles would scrutinize it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,898 of 3,016
Although source and cable input matter to some degree, the HDVD 800 uses an older Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC. Overall it was a fine amplifier with HD 800 but a better DAC implementation would have been more ideal. I think Sennheiser viewed the DAC as an added connectivity option and they underestimated how much audiophiles would scrutinize it.

Thanks, which DAC (better than BB) do you suggest to work with HDVD 600 under $600 for HD800S? BNC digital input will be cool! 

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,899 of 3,016
Thanks, which DAC (better than BB) do you suggest to work with HDVD 600 under $600 for HD800S? BNC digital input will be cool! 

The selection of a DAC to use with the HDVA 600 is a personal one. The HDVA 600 chassis has an unusual size and there are few DAC's that will match the physical design or can be stacked below it. Schiit's Multibit DACs may be good to consider since some are small, have a similar brushed metal enclosure, and they preform well.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #2,901 of 3,016
wantan, looking forward to your impressions.  Might add the HDVD 800 here as well.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,902 of 3,016
Can anyone advise which is the best digital input for the HDVD800 for the best sound quality ?
Emailed Sennheiser but did not get a reply ........
Currently connecting my Bryston BDP Pi player to the HDVD800 with Furutech GT Pro USB A to B cable. Thinking of getting the Curious cable but if other digital inputs will have better sound quality , I would invest in a different cable.
Thanks in advance:)

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,903 of 3,016
Can anyone advise which is the best digital input for the HDVD800 for the best sound quality ?
Currently connecting my Bryston BDP Pi player to the HDVD800 with Furutech GT Pro USB A to B cable. Thinking of getting the Curious cable but if other digital inputs will have better sound quality , I would invest in a different cable.

Although optical sounds smoother, it is limited to 88.2 kHz. USB is capable of 192 kHz.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,906 of 3,016

To be fair, the DAC inside the 800s isn't that good actually IMO. It would be better if you get a separate DAC for it will be better. The Chord 2qute is a good choice but only has RCA output, but it's priced at $1599 or 995 pounds. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,907 of 3,016

Agree the internal DAC is not that good. The 600 is a better deal, plus you can save some money for a good DAC.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,909 of 3,016
Does a digital player like the Bryston BDP Pi need a long burn in time ?
Will it sound more detailed after burn in ?
It's funny but I lost some details changing from iPod>mojo>nighthawks to bdp pi>hdvd800>hd800s !
The birds and beach effects at the beginning of Alan Walker's Faded and the echo/second voice at the beginning of Chris Brown's Look at Me Now sound more obvious with the iPod combi :rolleyes:

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #2,910 of 3,016
Does a digital player like the Bryston BDP Pi need a long burn in time ?
Will it sound more detailed after burn in ?
It's funny but I lost some details changing from iPod>mojo>nighthawks to bdp pi>hdvd800>hd800s !
The birds and beach effects at the beginning of Alan Walker's Faded and the echo/second voice at the beginning of Chris Brown's Look at Me Now sound more obvious with the iPod combi :rolleyes:

Maybe I can use the mojo as a DAC for the hdvd800......:cool: ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back