Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #61 of 3,016
A chip amp being perfect for the HD800 will be quite a revelation.  Next thing you know I'll find out the earth has two moons, aliens built the pyramids and I'm actually a clone of myself.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 3,016
Quote:
No information what DAC chip is used?

The Sennheiser press release stated:

"... the amplifier is equipped with a high-quality Burr-Brown digital/analogue converter that converts digital audio data into analogue signals with a resolution of 24 bits and a sampling rate of up to 192 kHz."

So that will narrow the list of suspects down somewhat.

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #63 of 3,016

Quote:
Also, for some reason I've never felt comfortable paying more for an amp than the cost of my primary phones.  

Well, you're getting a two in one in this regard.  DAC and amp.

This is an interesting product from Sennheiser for me, because I'm not all that interested in it, and I like Sennheiser products.  But I also like tubes, so maybe that plays a part.  I'm more interested in the chance Senn will put out cheap XLR cables for their 600 to 800 line up (which come to think of it will need three different end connectors, so dumb of them).  But this thing had better be something very special for them to sell well, at least to those in the know.  Which I'm going to guess is only a small percentage of Sennheiser's purchasers, so, more power to em.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #64 of 3,016
I think Sennheiser has secured the audiophile new comers atleast. Those who take a look at the headphones are very likely to buy this 'paired' amp.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #65 of 3,016
audiophiles     always are  looking for the right amp to get the right sound
the question is    : could    this amp  deliver the right sound    or there is only words or specs on   paper ?

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #68 of 3,016

Quote:
They'll keep their pricing policy on this one too, so it's probably just some kind of cmoy inside and some cheapy DAC board.

I am not sure of this , at the BURR BROWN site there are right now impressive dacs with impressive specs  working even with 32 bits .
 I have the feeling  that  they started to use a fresh quality component inside , instead of using an already obsolete and antique dac for their ultramodern amplifier .

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #69 of 3,016

Quote:
Interesting. Does this mean Sennheiser will be selling balanced cables for the 600 and 800?

The 800 already has a balanced cable - it's only the jack plug that unbalances it.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #70 of 3,016
Quote:
The 800 already has a balanced cable - it's only the jack plug that unbalances it.

That's pretty much the most important part.  Most people aren't going to solder on 4 pin XLRs themselves...

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #71 of 3,016

Quote:
CanJam@RMAF 2012 is right after the supposed launch and I'd bet that Sennheiser will be at the show to display the new amp, along with most likely the HD700, and maybe other new stuff. More info on RMAF including date & location: http://audiofest.net/2012/index.php

CanJam@RMAF is a major event/show for the Head-Fi audience. Anyone even a little bit interested in headphones should make it out to that event. Start saving up now if you need to.
tongue.gif

Ooh, I might actually be able to come to this one.

I have to go over and visit Grace Design in Boulder this year, so I might just do it at the same time - we'll see......

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #72 of 3,016

Quote:
So a company known primarily for one product category now wants to get in on what has been a growing "companion" market. 

Sennheiser a "one product category"?  You must be joking!

They make:-
● Headphones
● Aviation Headsets (with and without Active Noise Reduction)
● Radiomicrophones (from inexpensive, up to West End / Broadway systems that sell for about £8,000 / $13,000 per channel)
● Infra-Red transmission systems (both domestic and commercial)
● Conference systems (both wired and wireless)
● Microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann - some of the best on the planet - from inexpensive stage mics up to £10,000 digital mics)
● AES42 digital microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann)
● Optical Microphone
● Studio Monitors (Neumann/Klein+Hummel) - these are active designs with built-in top end amplifiers
● Ultrasonic loudspeaker (for visitor attractions that focusses the sound to a small point)
● Tour Guide Systems
● GuidePORT cordless installed tour guide system for visitor attractions
● Older neumann badged products include Cutting Lathes (for LPs) and Mixing Consoles
● Plus other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.

So they certainly have the expertise in very top end amplifier design.

"One product, my ........."

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #73 of 3,016

Quote:
the dac is the curious part - I can understand them taking on HP amp design but high end DAC design takes experience and is a whole new field of expertise.

But not a new field of expertise for Sennheiser/Neumann who already have a patented 28-bit ADC design and make some of the best digital microphones around.  As well as making digital radio systems, digital conference systems, digital tour guide systems, etc.

Headphones are just a tiny bit of Sennheiser's expertise.

It seems there is a large lack of knowledge if you think of Sennheiser as just a headphone company.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #74 of 3,016

Quote:
I think this is primarily for those people that want to leave no doubt that their amp pairs perfectly with their headphones. Despite it being a little difficult to find a good match for the 800, I think there are a lot of amps that go well with Senns. Also, for some reason I've never felt comfortable paying more for an amp than the cost of my primary phones.  

Plus - the quality of the DAC comes, in a large part, from the analogue part immediately after the chip.

You can get vastly different DAC quality from different manufacturers using exactly the same chip.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #75 of 3,016
Quote:
Plus - the quality of the DAC comes, in a large part, from the analogue part immediately after the chip.

You can get vastly different DAC quality from different manufacturers using exactly the same chip.

Pretty much.  With modern chips implementation is everything.  It's not just the output stage either.

With the same DAC chip just routing the PCB traces improperly is the difference between between a jittery mess with an audible noise floor and perfection beyond what human ears can discern.  A top of the line Sabre could be rendered inferior to an old TI all-in-one 27xx by a few mistakes.  I'd assume that Senn would go through a few PCB revisions and get those kinds of things ironed out instead of just slapping together a design, giving it a quick listen, and then sending it off to mass production.

Also, John.  Use the Multi quote button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back