Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #91 of 3,016
Quote:

Tone controls add distortion - not having them is the best way.

I believe this is a myth, mostly. The distortion from a h.q. tone control stage is probably far below hearing threshold,  under most circumstances. And even if it caused a tiny amount of  distortion in extreme cases, the advantages would potentially be enormous (for the overwhelming majority).

The headphones of our days have become good enough to be able to take advantage of tone-controlling/eq-ing, (so to speak).

I have often thought that audiophiles are sometimes torturing themselves with terrible sound because of their high principles. (This may be one example).

No-controls (except that they probably are used a lot at the production stage of commercial recordings) is just fashion, as I see it.. Of course, fashion is one of the strongest forces in society. Think of the old films from early seventies where even Robert Redford is wearing those extremely ridiculous trousers. We are the Robert Redfords of audio, and in 10 or 20 years we will look back at ourselves and laugh out loudly.

Even the most deeply incarnated fashion will change with time. In our case one cannot expect the small makers of ”boutique” high-end headamps to go against the stream, but one could perhaps expect it from a big, rational company like Sennheiser.
(just to explain my disappointment in this case).

Olaf

May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #92 of 3,016
Is it likely that some HFers will get a review sample of the HDVD800 before the September launch?  If so, when will Sennheiser begin passing around review samples?

I'm starting to look around for a solid-state amp to pair with the HD800 and this looks interesting as a complete solution.

May 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #93 of 3,016
They could make digital volume controls-that wouldn't have any affect on the sound quality.

May 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #94 of 3,016
Quote:
They could make digital volume controls-that wouldn't have any affect on the sound quality.

They don't they a;ready stated that inside the hdvd800 there is a quad ALPS analog pot
only pure wires had no effect on the sound

Can anybody create an HPA  with wires ONLY
bigsmile_face.gif
  ?

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #95 of 3,016
Quote:
They don't they a;ready stated that inside the hdvd800 there is a quad ALPS analog pot
only pure wires had no effect on the sound

Can anybody create an HPA  with wires ONLY
bigsmile_face.gif
  ?

It's still an ALPS pot w/ a wiper.  That's what the digital pot is for.

And yes, that's the idea of putting a digital control on a DAC and skipping the pot on an amp.  If you like the idea.

May 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #96 of 3,016
Quote:

And yes, that's the idea of putting a digital control on a DAC and skipping the pot on an amp.  If you like the idea.

thats is what I have in my dac v800 it sounded wonderfully in any position
sometimes I use 50% digital gain and 50% analog gain

May 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #98 of 3,016
some pictures I found of the amp

many thanks for the guy that take those pictures ( i can not say the name because it was in Japanese )

May 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #101 of 3,016
It's not out yet. Audioaffair.co.uk has a preorder but for some reason it's £2000; that's a ton more than the €1500 that we thought it would be. I wonder what's up with that massive price tag. Free HD800 thrown in maybe? Can't be. 

May 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #102 of 3,016
Gain adjustment was unexpected. Nice touch.

May 17, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #103 of 3,016
Quote:
Is it likely that some HFers will get a review sample of the HDVD800 before the September launch?  If so, when will Sennheiser begin passing around review samples?

I'm starting to look around for a solid-state amp to pair with the HD800 and this looks interesting as a complete solution.

The Grace m903 is also an excellent solution for the HD 800 - it's what I use (and the m902b before I upgraded).

Sennheiser UK use the m902 to demo their HD 800s.

Both have integrated high quality DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back