Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #76 of 3,016
mass production  ? I  dont think so may be a limited special edition amp by Senn
every hd600/650/700/800   owner will buy the amp ? I am no so sure of this
now arise a new big question who will limit the sound quality  :  the senn amp or the senn headphones ? (or our ears 
bigsmile_face.gif
 )

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #77 of 3,016

Quote:

Also, John.  Use the Multi quote button.

I normally do - but when I started I thought I was only replying to a single post.

Then I found another and then another.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #78 of 3,016
Quote:
mass production  ? I  dont think so may be a limited special edition amp by Senn
every hd600/650/700/800   owner will buy the amp ? I am no so sure of this
now arise a new big question who will limit the sound quality  :  the senn amp or the senn headphones ? (or our ears 
bigsmile_face.gif
 )

Surface mount PCBs generally aren't assembled one at a time by hand so I don't know what else you'd call sending it off to an automated assembly line...

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #79 of 3,016
maverickronin 

limited production has no connection with automatic production
smt can be used to build 100k hdvd800's but I dont think is the case here
by the way discrete passive components sound better than smt
when building and designing precision and closed tolerances amplifiers as needed for low thd they  are better implemented by
using discrete components (that are selected individually and those are not coming preselected in a smt components tube
smt assembly is mostly used to cut costs (1500 E?!) and quick transfer from development to production 
for the digital components smt are better and mostly used , because most of the digital  chips are only in  smt packages 
and the best way to solder them is by an automatic soldering  process (wave soldering ,IR soldering etc)
an example about this is the lehmann BCL discrete amplifier versus the  reihlander  (smt version of the BCL) that it cost much less
than the BCL but at the same time has poor sound  (same circuit but smt )

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #80 of 3,016
Quote:
limited production has no connection with automated assembly 
can be used to build 100k hdvd800's but I dont think is the case here

Mass production is really more about methods than numbers...

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #81 of 3,016
Sennheiser a "one product category"?  You must be joking!

They make:-
● Headphones
● Aviation Headsets (with and without Active Noise Reduction)
● Radiomicrophones (from inexpensive, up to West End / Broadway systems that sell for about £8,000 / $13,000 per channel)
● Infra-Red transmission systems (both domestic and commercial)
● Conference systems (both wired and wireless)
● Microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann - some of the best on the planet - from inexpensive stage mics up to £10,000 digital mics)
● AES42 digital microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann)
● Optical Microphone
● Studio Monitors (Neumann/Klein+Hummel) - these are active designs with built-in top end amplifiers
● Ultrasonic loudspeaker (for visitor attractions that focusses the sound to a small point)
● Tour Guide Systems
● GuidePORT cordless installed tour guide system for visitor attractions
● Older neumann badged products include Cutting Lathes (for LPs) and Mixing Consoles
● Plus other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.

So they certainly have the expertise in very top end amplifier design.

"One product, my ........."

I don't see Senn make 'Audiophile tuned' amp tho. You know, studio amp and Audiophile amp can sounded very differeny as they are intented for different purpose.

maverickronin 

limited production has no connection with automatic production
smt can be used to build 100k hdvd800's but I dont think is the case here
by the way discrete passive components sound better than smt
when building and designing precision and closed tolerances amplifiers as needed for low thd they  are better implemented by
using discrete components (that are selected individually and those are not coming preselected in a smt components tube
smt assembly is mostly used to cut costs (1500 E?!) and quick transfer from development to production 
for the digital components smt are better and mostly used , because most of the digital  chips are only in  smt packages 
and the best way to solder them is by an automatic soldering  process (wave soldering ,IR soldering etc)
an example about this is the lehmann BCL discrete amplifier versus the  reihlander  (smt version of the BCL) that it cost much less
than the BCL but at the same time has poor sound  (same circuit but smt )

What did you mean by smt?
As I recall, BCL is not fully discree, it uses opamp, but it sounded wonderful, neverhtless.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #83 of 3,016
Apr 29, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #84 of 3,016
^ Thanks chief Anax (I remember someone called you chief, so I follow), it is very thorough information in that link although I admit I only read the first top 10% due to its complexity
biggrin.gif
I don't understand, but I got the point.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #85 of 3,016

Quote:
I don't see Senn make 'Audiophile tuned' amp tho. You know, studio amp and Audiophile amp can sounded very differeny as they are intented for different purpose.
What did you mean by smt?
As I recall, BCL is not fully discree, it uses opamp, but it sounded wonderful, neverhtless.

As you can see inthe pictures inside the manual  this is the smt version of the discrete bcl   same components but different technology you can compere the specs of both amplifiers
the thd  figures speaks for themselves
it was a mistake from me  to compare the bcl/rrheilander I intended to compare the  bcl/studiocube
in the pdf  link you can see that the amp was build on a smd basis (resistors,capacitors,opamps and regulators)

http://www.synthax.de/media/files/lehmann_audio/LA_StudioCube_Manual_ENG_V1.2.pdf\

in other words think  that the all the analog circuits of the dvd800 are build with trough hole components and not smd devices beacuse they sound better

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #86 of 3,016
What!? No tone controls? What a missed opportunity!!. Think what it could have done with the great HD800: Getting the last few missing parts into place, so to speak. (and also giving people with peculiar ears/taste something to play with, of course). 
 What a disappointment….

May 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #88 of 3,016

Quote:
What!? No tone controls? What a missed opportunity!!. Think what it could have done with the great HD800: Getting the last few missing parts into place, so to speak. (and also giving people with peculiar ears/taste something to play with, of course). 
 What a disappointment….

Tone controls add distortion - not having them is the best way.

May 1, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #89 of 3,016

Quote:

Tone controls add distortion - not having them is the best way.

Aren't the controls on Phonitor implemented the same way as tone controls?

May 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #90 of 3,016
Aren't the controls on Phonitor implemented the same way as tone controls?

as far I know the modifications of sound are performed using complex interchannel delays networks  keeping the frequency response fixed all the time this is the reason why they needed about 9 discrete (supra)  operational amplifiers to perform the analog tasks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back