Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #32 of 3,016

Quote:
Does it have special sauce inside to sound good with both HD650 and HD800? :D

my lehmann BCL sounds good with both but i'm guessing that driving the HD800's will be their primary focus due to the price of the amp - 

It is only speculation on my part but i think that they are aware of the HD800 copping criticism from some people for being difficult to drive or not sounding the best with certain amps so they have designed their own to realise the full potential of their flagship headphone. 

They are a very intelligent company i just cant see them bringing out a very expensive amp designed for their own headphones that is not a star performer. It will be critiqued to death by everyone and any weaknesses will be identified and reported quickly - they know that 

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #33 of 3,016
They are a very intelligent company i just cant see them bringing out a very expensive amp designed for their own headphones that is not a star performer. It will be critiqued to death by everyone and any weaknesses will be identified and reported quickly - they know that 

Hopefully you're right, but keep in mind the motives of Grado, AT, Beyer, etc. were likely similar.

And damn, I wish HF was more mobile friendly.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #35 of 3,016
So a company known primarily for one product category now wants to get in on what has been a growing "companion" market.  That's nothing new.  Here though, the choice to jump in at the top end of the companion category at a price point even higher than the flagship product in the main category is curious.  That is, unless this is just the flagship of what will eventually be a line of DAC/amps at various price points...

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #38 of 3,016

Quote:
So a company known primarily for one product category now wants to get in on what has been a growing "companion" market.  That's nothing new.  Here though, the choice to jump in at the top end of the companion category at a price point even higher than the flagship product in the main category is curious.  That is, unless this is just the flagship of what will eventually be a line of DAC/amps at various price points...

I think this is rather good news given that every thing they made are usually very well reviewed.  The price may be high but this may represent better deals to other amplifiers such as the Bryston balanced headamp.  The key though if this amp will have analog input or just act as a "pure digital" amp like the Audio-Technica DHA3000.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #39 of 3,016

Quote:
I think this is rather good news given that every thing they made are usually very well reviewed.  The price may be high but this may represent better deals to other amplifiers such as the Bryston balanced headamp.  The key though if this amp will have analog input or just act as a "pure digital" amp like the Audio-Technica DHA3000.

My gut tells me that if they are shooting this high on price, Senn is working hard to put out a quality product that stands up well in the face of established competition.  That being said, the proof will be in the performance and we can all anticipate some very long threads on that topic when it is eventually released.  Where Senn hopefully will shine is by designing and building a unit that really mates well with the HD 700 and 800.  Of course, it will still have to mate well with other headphones in order for most users to see true value in it.  

I wonder that, if in addition to analog inputs, it will have line outputs.  At this price, I think there are many who would like the DAC portion to be useful in their speaker setups.  While I believe many users wonder if the headphone section of higher end Pre-DACs and DACs perform well or are just an afterthought, the reverse could likely be questioned about this product.  But that will only happen if they choose to offer that output capability.  I hope they do if for no other reason than to give you additional flexibility bang for your buck.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #40 of 3,016
Sennheiser (Neumann) makes maybe the best active monitors, so their brand of nearfield setup would be HDDVD 800 / HD800 / O300.

Then, after a month the setup would be HDDVD 800 / O300. After another month, the setup would be HDVD800 / O300 / KH810. :)

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #41 of 3,016
Yes I myself am wondering if Lehmann had a hand in this. Might this be essentially a Linear SE with DAC?

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #42 of 3,016

Quote:
Add to cart.

hehe lol'd

Great design and I'm sure sound too. When Sennheiser does a high end product you really can't be disappointed. Will need to start saving.

Oh and I guessed the price if it stays that way. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #43 of 3,016

Quote:
Might this be essentially a Linear SE with DAC?

Correct me if wrong... but the BCLs only have XLR as input, and not as headphone output (only 1/4" jacks).
So chances are that it's not related to the BCL design.

Given the size, I'm a bit skeptical - how good a power supply can you get in there?
How much shielding can be put inbetween the DAC and the sensitive analogue signal paths.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #45 of 3,016

Quote:

Correct me if wrong... but the BCLs only have XLR as input, and not as headphone output (only 1/4" jacks).
So chances are that it's not related to the BCL design.

Given the size, I'm a bit skeptical - how good a power supply can you get in there?
How much shielding can be put inbetween the DAC and the sensitive analogue signal paths.

according to the Press release it appears to be  an in house design from bottom up. Looks like 2K is the price also.  Interesting amplifier . i wish they were also offering an amp only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back