Sennheiser hda-200 audiometric headphones impressions-pics added
Jun 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got the Senn hda-200. these are audiometric headphones used for the calibration of audiometric equipment. i guess this means they are very neutral and accurate!!
senns link: Sennheiser USA - Audiometers, HDA 200, closed dynamic ear protector headphones - Professional Audio

out of the box the 1st thing i noticed is that its terminated in 2 1/4" plugs. each plug is for one channel and they both play off the lt channel in a stereo output. took me a few minutes to realize that- once i did i pulled the rt channel plug partway out to connect properly. (xenos amp with 2 outputs made this possible). these were terminated professionally by appearence, they come unterminated according to the site.

2nd thing is that there is no adjustment. you pull these over your head and pull the cups down to your ears. very much like a MBQuart hi solid headphone. these would not fit large heads, my medium head has no problem. they come with a velcro headband cushion for smaller heads.

3rd thing is the colors- blue and red. my speech pathologist wife recognized them immediately as professional headphones.

construction is plastic with metal headband, thick cord. seems very solid

these are extremely isolating. based on peltor ear defender design, these shut out all noise except loud talking or higher noises. they also squeeze slightly and are hot eventually.

The sound.
very neutral imo. extreme detail in mids, detail going to mid highs and mid bass. does not give tinkly highs or super bass thump. this is like a high end monitor type headphone. you can hear all flaws in your mp3s easily. the other monitor type cans i have and had are a pioneer monitor 10, akg k271, 240df, sextett. these are in the same vein with more range in the highs and lows than a sextett speaker. just like those they are hard to drive. they say 40 ohms but drive like 200. these work great for a critical music listener. i tried these for gaming, not so good. small soundstage. i got plenty of bass with eq settings but its not 'fun' bass like a denon d2000, and not 'fun' highs like an audio technica

i tried these with heavy beat hip hop, dance music, some heavy metal, and gaming. male and female vocals. used x-fi out to xenos amp or rca mp3 player to xenos amp

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 18
These are Sennheiser drivers built into Peltor ear defenders specifically designed for use with hearing testers.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Do you remember the K271 sound enough to make an acceptable comparison?
This makes me curious as to how all the other audiometric headphones sound like. Would you care to steal a pair from your wife?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you remember the K271 sound enough to make an acceptable comparison?
This makes me curious as to how all the other audiometric headphones sound like. Would you care to steal a pair from your wife?
very_evil_smiley.gif

my wife has none now- she used to work with them.
i remember the k271 well enough, the senn has better bass extension, can certainly handle more bass by a long shot. the mids and highs are comparable, the senn seems to have more revealing mids, possibly due to the extreme isolation

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 18
Heh, really? Cool!

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 18
pics added

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 18
Thank you very much for the impressions and pics! This is one headphone I've been extremely curious about - almost enough to drop $500 or so on it. If the mids and detail are as good as you say they are, I'd probably enjoy them. They sound like they share some traits with my much-loved DT48s, though your comment about the bass extension makes me wonder how they'd compare. Thanks again and I'll give more thought to these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 18
why are all these audiometric phones "Detailed"? It was my understanding they were used in hearing tests and are only used to play test tones. Surely detail isnt required.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are all these audiometric phones "Detailed"? It was my understanding they were used in hearing tests and are only used to play test tones. Surely detail isnt required.

i believe the detail comes from the required accuracy of such headphones

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are Sennheiser drivers built into Peltor ear defenders specifically designed for use with hearing testers.

Can you give word on what drivers they - if they're even used in consumer Senns, anyway?

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 18
finally reterminated these with a single end plug. also got an akg 240m 600 ohm and an akg 240 sextett on hand. for comparison duties. the hda200 seems far more neutral. 'boring' even, though it can handle anything thrown at it. makes the akg seem lively by comparison. can be eq'd and amped up into lively sound and does much better with heavy bass beats than the akg.
the sextett sounds like a bassy mess in comparison (its not, and i love the sextett sound)

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally reterminated these with a single end plug. also got an akg 240m 600 ohm and an akg 240 sextett on hand. for comparison duties. the hda200 seems far more neutral. 'boring' even, though it can handle anything thrown at it. makes the akg seem lively by comparison. can be eq'd and amped up into lively sound and does much better with heavy bass beats than the akg.
the sextett sounds like a bassy mess in comparison (its not, and i love the sextett sound)

Are they the most detailed headphones you heard or owned? Great resolve & clarity?.. I'd like to bite, but would want a upgrade over my DT48a instead of a side grade.. How is Sound Stage & seperation?

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Audiometric headphones are probably one of the most natural in terms of detail for dynamic headphones.. Not bright, full bodied, or treble emphasis or spikes in any frequency, which is stereo typical of dynamic cans that are detailed..

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they the most detailed headphones you heard or owned? Great resolve & clarity?.. I'd like to bite, but would want a upgrade over my DT48a instead of a side grade.. How is Sound Stage & seperation?

tell me one of your fave popular songs and i can try it out and give a description of what i hear on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back