Sennheiser HD820
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,709 of 4,357
The HD820 exists on its merit.

As a die hard HD800 fan, I would say its complimentary to the HD800, not a substitute.
True! For some music (esp. classics like Schubert's Death and the Maiden) and when there is no one home except me I still use HD 600 for its true openness. I will certainly save up for the 800S to accompany my 820 in some, distant, future. Until then I've changed 600's cushions and they are still in my arsenal.

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,711 of 4,357
Used the HD 820 + HDV 820 for a year, switched to empyreans and after trying the 820 again... its like they are broken. The sound is just weird. Has anyone else felt this way? Almost like I want to send them in for repair :triportsad:

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3,712 of 4,357
Used the HD 820 + HDV 820 for a year, switched to empyreans and after trying the 820 again... its like they are broken. The sound is just weird. Has anyone else felt this way? Almost like I want to send them in for repair :triportsad:
I’ve had that happen with all my headphones after upgrading from them. I still revisit them but for sure I don’t get the same emotion.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #3,713 of 4,357
I have the HD800 but could not use them without the Sonarworks calibration, they sound harshly bright

I don't like EQ, when I use it, I use the RME's parametric EQ very sparingly.

I got a Phonitor 2 and the HD 800 becomes a great headphone for all-around listening. But, the build quality on the Phonitor is not up to the price. After I get mine repaired I'll see how long it lasts. Anyway, long way of saying that a good pairing with the right amp can make the bright treble a thing of the past.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #3,714 of 4,357
Sep 29, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #3,715 of 4,357
I don't like EQ, when I use it, I use the RME's parametric EQ very sparingly.

I got a Phonitor 2 and the HD 800 becomes a great headphone for all-around listening. But, the build quality on the Phonitor is not up to the price. After I get mine repaired I'll see how long it lasts. Anyway, long way of saying that a good pairing with the right amp can make the bright treble a thing of the past.
That would mean the amp would have to be either so flawed as to attenuate the treble audibly by design or unintentionally. Why would anyone buy an amp to colour the sound when they can just use an equalizer if that is what they want to do? Why would it be preferable to have an amplifier colour the sound, something that it would do to every headphone regardless of whether or not you wanted the amp to do so whereas with an eq you are 100% in control of it, to use when and how you want.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #3,716 of 4,357
That would mean the amp would have to be either so flawed as to attenuate the treble audibly by design or unintentionally. Why would anyone buy an amp to colour the sound when they can just use an equalizer if that is what they want to do? Why would it be preferable to have an amplifier colour the sound, something that it would do to every headphone regardless of whether or not you wanted the amp to do so whereas with an eq you are 100% in control of it, to use when and how you want.
Agree totally with you on this. It's not like you can swap out tubes and change your flavor.

I have the HD800 and the Phonitor 2 as my main amp. I have been using Sonarworks to EQ the Senns...they handle it very well. I cannot listen to them if they are not EQ'd.

What's ironic...is that I am waiting for the new RME ADI 2/4 dac to come out. Has the 4.4. balanced on it and I plan to use it's EQ capabilities to get away from having to use my computer for listening. Finally picked up a Bluesound Node 2 and I like having easy access to my library.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #3,717 of 4,357
just bought the HD820 running it on my Mojo2

it, was, ( add text ) ( holy crap ) with Yo-Yo Ma on Cello

in short, I pooped my pants.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,719 of 4,357
Im in a search for closedback headphone, how hungry is 300ohm for these I mean this sounds pretty hungry:
Nominal 12 W
(2 x 300 Ω headphones connected to the 4.4 mm outputs)

12watt/300ohms???

Speaker amps recommendations for sure?

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #3,720 of 4,357
Im in a search for closedback headphone, how hungry is 300ohm for these I mean this sounds pretty hungry:
Nominal 12 W
(2 x 300 Ω headphones connected to the 4.4 mm outputs)

12watt/300ohms???

Speaker amps recommendations for sure?
No it’s not that power hungry. I can power it off everything I own including a Sony WM1A and even a few iPhone dongle DACs and even an iPod touch! It does perform better with a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back