Sennheiser HD820
May 12, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #3,676 of 4,368
Couldn't say, I've yet to experience a VC, but I've briefly listened to a VO, and I personally wouldn't compare them, the VO is an entirely different tier of beast.
Oh sorry meant to reply to @AngryTank 😅 But yeah I assume most people would agree. Haven’t seen anyone say otherwise.

Edit: I did actually have both for a brief time and sold the 820 but was curious to hear other people’s comparisons.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #3,679 of 4,368
Anyone use their 820’s portably or transport them? Also can anyone recommend a good travel case?

I would recommend this, it's intended for HD800, but honestly, I keep a modded one for my Heddphone, another two for my SR-Lambda and SR-5, and another one that I just refer to as the Senn Box, where I've stuffed my HD540, HD560, and HD700 (and if I could get my HD250 in there, it'd be in there, too). They seem pretty reliable.

Geekria UltraShell Case for Large-Sized Over-Ear Headphones, Replacement Protective Hard Shell Travel Carrying Bag with Cable Storage, Compatible with Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1 (Drak Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMFBU16/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_7BGF3HAYZWD4QCCYE4B3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

May 13, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #3,680 of 4,368
@Klmahnn Don't sweat it.

So far, I'm liking these, but I also feel like these should have had an equal clamp force to the HD600. Is there a known method for increasing the clamp on these? Seems like a lost opportunity otherwise.
I’ve seen people suggest a way to reduce clamp force on the HD600 that involves extending the headband all the way and then bending the steel part outwards.

Perhaps, if done carefully, the opposite would work for the 820?

May 13, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #3,682 of 4,368
Considering that, is there a way to expose the metal headband?
I had to look at a picture again to remind myself of the mechanism. I think the metal part can be exposed because the padded part can be replaced, however, looking at how it sits in the plastic, you’d have to be very careful not to bend it so drastically that it no longer fits.

Should things go very wrong, I’d imagine the replacement part should be easy enough/cheap to get hold of.

May 13, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3,683 of 4,368
@Klmahnn Don't sweat it.

So far, I'm liking these, but I also feel like these should have had an equal clamp force to the HD600. Is there a known method for increasing the clamp on these? Seems like a lost opportunity otherwise.
I guess it's on the same frame as a pair of 800s, which are a dead heat with Fostex TH900s for the least-clamp-on-earth award. Maybe the Sennheiser has the edge.

Anyway, the HD 600 is like a vice on your jaws. Shirley, there has to be a happy meedium.

May 14, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #3,684 of 4,368
I guess it's on the same frame as a pair of 800s, which are a dead heat with Fostex TH900s for the least-clamp-on-earth award. Maybe the Sennheiser has the edge.

Anyway, the HD 600 is like a vice on your jaws. Shirley, there has to be a happy meedium.
Agreed, but any bit more would be a definite plus. The lack of clamp is somewhat saddening when any outside pressure on the cups yield such great results.

I'm going to try to see if I can do anything with that metal band in the morning. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #3,685 of 4,368
Agreed, but any bit more would be a definite plus. The lack of clamp is somewhat saddening when any outside pressure on the cups yield such great results.

I'm going to try to see if I can do anything with that metal band in the morning. Wish me luck.
This is it. They don't clamp enough, the top strap hurts my head, and like you said, when you hold them with your hands and apply a little more clamp the sound improves even on the HD 800.

For the money, and since now the original 800s are unobtanium, I'm not gonna snap the top strap trying to adjust it. I just have to live with it :frowning2:

May 16, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #3,688 of 4,368
I finally bought HD820’s after 2 years of debate since I demoed them. I’m enjoying them most with the Sony DMP-Z1. I was shocked how bright they sound with the Sony WM1A. Clearly they are very amp dependent. What pairings do you guys like most?

May 16, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #3,689 of 4,368
HD 600 and 800 need plenty of voltage not to sound thin. I guess if they're bright it means that bass is relatively absent, which is a textbook symptom of not enough voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back