Sennheiser HD820
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #3,646 of 4,367
You want metal that would make it 700grams? To me it doesnt make it any worse, but better.
A carbon fiber and metal headphone does not have to weigh more than 500 grams. My issue with the looks of the 820 is not necessarily because it uses plastic the plastic is just cheap looking and feeling for a premium headphone. The glass portion of the cups looks so gorgeous and the use of plain cheap plastic takes away from the look and feel. When I held it and saw it in person I felt disappointed.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,647 of 4,367
A carbon fiber and metal headphone does not have to weigh more than 500 grams. My issue with the looks of the 820 is not necessarily because it uses plastic the plastic is just cheap looking and feeling for a premium headphone. The glass portion of the cups looks so gorgeous and the use of plain cheap plastic takes away from the look and feel. When I held it and saw it in person I felt disappointed.
There are cheap plastics, but its certainly not present In hd800series. hd500series for example... cheap plastic is used.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,649 of 4,367
This is Sennheiser plastic.

It's better than Focals carbon fibre, Grados wood and Hifimans metal.

Bet anything it will outlast all of them.

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #3,650 of 4,367
For me, while I know the plastic is sturdy and there's no problem practically with using it, at this price I personally value how a product "feels" as well. I love when I pick up my Utopia and it feels like a million bucks. It's part of the appeal of having it, IMO. At $2400, the 820 isn't a "value" product where you understand your money is mostly going to sound quality, it's a TOTL product. To me, it should have that 'feel' to it.

But of course I do own it and love it. But the feel is the only aspect where I think Senn missed the mark. Part of it I guess is understanding that it was priced much higher than its open-back counterpart because the custom glass. I think Senn saw their take on a flagship more as a practical one than a luxurious one. But at $2400, you've stepped into that territory.

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #3,651 of 4,367
Based on how well my other Sennheisers held up over time, I would have been happy to keep The 820 if it wasn’t for the seal issues which in my case make the 820 absolutely not okay sound wise. it feels like the heavy cups were designed without accounting for what sort of headband would be required for an optimal seal…

Headfi is a great community, we bought the product and proceeded to provide real user feedback to Sennheiser… I hope they take it as an opportunity to account for the Feedback from this thread in future products\revisions.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #3,652 of 4,367
I’ve read this thread with a great deal of interest and despite all. The negative comments I’ve just ordered a pair of 820s.

it seems to that some posts were using totally inappropriate sources and as these phones appear to be very revealing so could it be that those sources are not up to the job?
Just saying….

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #3,653 of 4,367
I’ve read this thread with a great deal of interest and despite all. The negative comments I’ve just ordered a pair of 820s.

it seems to that some posts were using totally inappropriate sources and as these phones appear to be very revealing so could it be that those sources are not up to the job?
Just saying….
I wouldn't say it's so much sources than a lot of people looking at the FR and saying it's wack or just joining in the bandwagon to bash it just because it's the popular opinion.

I've used it with many sources and didn't see it crippled by any.

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #3,654 of 4,367

Just saying….
IMO many reviewers exaggerate frequency response and neglect the overall sound imo 820 sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back