Sennheiser HD820
Apr 24, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #3,661 of 4,357
So got the 820s on Thursday and so far really like them. I’m new to this so not much to compare but I also have the Beyerdynamic T5 3. I really like them as well
so my question is about the best amp to pair the 820 with. I dont do streaming yet so all of the input is via CD or vinyl Through a Naim system.
The headphone amp I am currently using is the Naim Headline with a Highcap power supply.
so just wondering if maybe the HDV820 would be a better option plugged into the Naim System?
also is it possible to plug in a streamer into the HDV 820 and use its DAC and preamp?
thanks.

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #3,662 of 4,357
This thread seems to be dead…..but I am a very happy boy today.
I was not sure about the 820 as I have not a lot to compare it to….so went to dealer todo some comparisons with Focal clear and Stella, the hd 800s and Hd 820.
the foacla s were very nice and I liked them a lot but there was something about them that just didn’t sound quite right and I felt that the kids were a bit too forward.
tthen listened to the 800s and liked them a lot as well…very smooth, detailed and more precise than the focals…
then the 820 which on balance I preferred and it had more detialed and controlled bass than the 800s .
I then had a listen to the Sennheisers with the hdv820. Again very detailed even more so with both of them but iwere they better by £1300 Which would be the difference the HDV820 and my current headline and HC after they were sold. I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t prepared to,pay that for a very marginal difference in SQ. Not better but different. The headline is a lot smoother and possible a bit warmer but it has plenty of grunt and so controlled my 820 with no problem.
so came away with my credit card intact and some ideas about improving my streaming experience. The HDV 820 idea is not dead…just shelved for now….will wait and see how I fell in a month or so…but I did really like the 800s with the senny amp.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,663 of 4,357
This thread seems to be dead…..but I am a very happy boy today.
I was not sure about the 820 as I have not a lot to compare it to….so went to dealer todo some comparisons with Focal clear and Stella, the hd 800s and Hd 820.
the foacla s were very nice and I liked them a lot but there was something about them that just didn’t sound quite right and I felt that the kids were a bit too forward.
tthen listened to the 800s and liked them a lot as well…very smooth, detailed and more precise than the focals…
then the 820 which on balance I preferred and it had more detialed and controlled bass than the 800s .
I then had a listen to the Sennheisers with the hdv820. Again very detailed even more so with both of them but iwere they better by £1300 Which would be the difference the HDV820 and my current headline and HC after they were sold. I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t prepared to,pay that for a very marginal difference in SQ. Not better but different. The headline is a lot smoother and possible a bit warmer but it has plenty of grunt and so controlled my 820 with no problem.
so came away with my credit card intact and some ideas about improving my streaming experience. The HDV 820 idea is not dead…just shelved for now….will wait and see how I fell in a month or so…but I did really like the 800s with the senny amp.
Agreed with the Stellia vs 820. 820 was the clear winner for my ears. Stellia had a more refined/detailed sound, but the experience goes to the 820 all the way. I was disappointed with how confined the Stellia's stage was. Magnificent-looking headphone though. Both headphones are striking-looking, but Focal's feel it when in hand.

The Utopia on the other hand is a different story. I didn't get on with the Stellia's "just nice" sound, but the Utopia corrects those problems, and then some. Granted, talking about an open-back now. Funny though that I find the soundstage between the 820 and Utopia very similar.

I wish Senn would improve on driver resolution. Focal did an amazing job with their beryllium drivers.

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #3,664 of 4,357
I wish Senn would improve on driver resolution. Focal did an amazing job with their beryllium drivers.

Are you saying Focal drivers are generally more resolving than a pair of HD 800s? Or was your comment regarding the Utopia specifically?

I have never heard a pair of Focals.

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,666 of 4,357
Are you saying Focal drivers are generally more resolving than a pair of HD 800s? Or was your comment regarding the Utopia specifically?

THe focals are very resolving or the clears and Stellias I listened to were. But I do agree they sounded a little closed to me with quite forward minds which is great if you like that….I’m sure there are loads of people who love focals and I got to say that I would be very happy with a pair….if Sennheiser didn’t exist!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #3,668 of 4,357
For me one of the best things about Sennheisers is that they're smooth with nothing over or underemphasized (well, aside from the ugly 6K peak on the 800s). I don't think I'd like forward mids

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #3,669 of 4,357

Focal's beryllium drivers (Stellia, Utopia) are most definitely more resolving than the drivers Senn uses for the HD 800 line.

As others have said, something is to be said for Senn's smooth/natural sound. But I personally find the Utopia hyper-realistic sounding. Another level. Still love my 820 though. Use it for chill listening than serious listening. Different headphones for different moods.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #3,670 of 4,357
Focal's beryllium drivers (Stellia, Utopia) are most definitely more resolving than the drivers Senn uses for the HD 800 line.

As others have said, something is to be said for Senn's smooth/natural sound. But I personally find the Utopia hyper-realistic sounding. Another level. Still love my 820 though. Use it for chill listening than serious listening. Different headphones for different moods.
Thanks, this is interesting info. I thought the HD 800 was the last word in resolution for dynamics. Now I'm gonna have to find out how to hear a pair of these :D

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #3,671 of 4,357
I went from the HD800s to the Utopias, which were clearly more detailed. Then I went with the Final D8000 Pro, which were another step up again. The DCA Stealth likely go a bit further, but we're well into the territory that I can only really determine this with very few recordings.

I wish I hadn't sold my original HD800s and then I could have compared them with the HD820 and found out if there were any improvements in resolution. One thing was the HD820 didn't at all sound like what the frequency response graphs show. I don't think the HD800 design is optimum for the 820 (and I said as much in my review and to Sennheiser directly). They are aware of this. I feel like Sennheiser is full of incredibly talented people held back by something which they can't say, and it limits what they can do with headphones. Heck, if they had an unlimited budget for a new dynamic flagship, like they had with the H1, and could make a $4k flagship, I'm sure it would be insanely good.

May 6, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,673 of 4,357
I have one of these on the way, how are the stock cables, should I consider an aftermarket cable, or would you guys agree that stock is fine?
Stock Cable is solid, only need aftermarket if you want something shorter/longer (doubt you’ll need longer), or in need of a different termination.

May 11, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #3,674 of 4,357
I have one of these on the way, how are the stock cables, should I consider an aftermarket cable, or would you guys agree that stock is fine?
How do you find it compares to the VC?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back