Sennheiser HD820
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,738 of 4,357
Why not silver? Will it make them harsher?

I also have the 800 (not S) and, despite having a more pronounced peak at the top, they make up for - in my opinion - with a greater refinement of the emission.
The 820s are certainly warmer headphones (also due to the more prominent bass), but on the mid-high they feel a bit aggressive or, at least, less gentle.
I don't think silver would do them any good.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #3,739 of 4,357
I just can´t take my eyes of this beauty!!

Is this HD820 the "best" closed back out there or(not to hijack/off topic this thread) whats the experience with other headphones vs this?

The only thing that concerns me(portable usage) a little is the 300 Ohm(as said before)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #3,740 of 4,357
Is this HD820 the "best" closed back out there or(not to hijack/off topic this thread) whats the experience with other headphones vs this?

That depends on mostly personal factors.

The only thing that concerns me a little is the 300 Ohm( as said before)

Why? Your Master 9 can drive two pair at a time.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #3,741 of 4,357
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #3,742 of 4,357
That depends on mostly personal factors.
1667391542713.png

The con list worries me🤷‍♂️

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,744 of 4,357
Is this really a can anyone should be calling mid-centric?
I doubt it because of the wide soundstage, but Im not buying anything that is lacking in that department. We are mids we hear mid. Mid is important

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #3,745 of 4,357
Smallest portable amp for these cans?
-powerfull and clean sound

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #3,746 of 4,357
They run fine when I run them from Fiio M15 and my Hip-Dac V2.

Nov 2, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,747 of 4,357
I forgot to mention portable/mobile use🤣

Don't do it, buddy :wink:

The con list worries me🤷‍♂️

Some people find the HD 800/s/820 the most comfortable headphones available. I agree with the con that the headstrap hurts. But I don't like most single headstraps, I like the Audeze-style suspension headband. Anyway, very likely you will find them comfortable as the majority do, unless you hate that style of headstrap.

I didn't understand about the con of losing benefits of closed cans. I guess from that and the line above, the guy means "lack of bass impact."

Yes! We have no slam. The HD 800 and I think 820 are not about slam. They're about balance.

Many "closed" cans don't seal well (think Fostex). So, the cons are personal cons.

I doubt it because of the wide soundstage, but Im not buying anything that is lacking in that department. We are mids we hear mid. Mid is important

Mids and wide soundstage are not mutually exclusive.

Smallest portable amp for these cans?
-powerfull and clean sound

@iFi audio

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,748 of 4,357
Best is completely subjective of course. The Verite Closed are better to my ears, but they're several hundred more so I'd certainly hope so.

People seem to hear this headphone very differently. To some, like myself, I hear it as an HD800S that is more comfortable, has more bass quantity along with a somewhat more narrow soundstage, but overall much more full sounding and therefore satisfying. Others hear it as some headphone with bizarre tonality and little bass, which has a lot to do with fit.

They're so light so I have no issues with the headband.

With the HD820 being my first headphone over $1k, having amassed quite a few more since, when I go back to the 820 I am quickly reminded how much I like it and that I can't see ever selling it. It has that very detailed, clean/crisp Sennheiser sound which I like as an alternative to my collection of mostly ZMFs.

This is one to make sure you listen to somehow before buying. Keep in mind many of the negative opinions expressed online are people parroting how bad they are without ever having actually heard them.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #3,749 of 4,357
Yes! We have no slam. The HD 800 and I think 820 are not about slam. They're about balance.
Exactly, in my opinion, their only real limit.

To some, like myself, I hear it as an HD800S that is more comfortable, has more bass quantity along with a somewhat more narrow soundstage, but overall much more full sounding and therefore satisfying
Idem.

Nov 5, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #3,750 of 4,357
This is one to make sure you listen to somehow before buying. Keep in mind many of the negative opinions expressed online are people parroting how bad they are without ever having actually heard them.
Exactly what I think as well. Lipservice without putting the time in to really listening to these headphones and what they can do. I am not a bass head by any means but I do like low double-bass or funk/rap thumping. To each his own in this department.

In the Good Bad table:
"Lacks the advantage that make closed-back cans attractive"

Not sure what that means or the authors baseline for criteria, but these cans are a complete over the ear for me which is why I bought them. Closed in comfort with spatial sound which usually fills the voided brain airspace between my ears! :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back