Sennheiser HD820
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,752 of 4,362
I know that what I'm about to say many of you will take it as a blasphemy, but this 820 drives me crazy!
I understand that listening to it at stock conditions may initially disappoint, the stock cable does not really do justice to the true potential of the 820, the sound is dreary and too distant, moreover there is no minimum control of the bass; either they are anemic or based on amplification I'm like "boom"
but give the 820 some time to burn in, a good cable and a good amplification and for me it is unrivaled in the closed field (except mdr r10).
in this case we have as dac a topping d90se, leben cs300xs for the amplification,and an invictus clear as cable.
funny sound, controlled bass, all in all a detail rendering certainly not superior to electrostatic but quite satisfactory from analytical results,
excellent yield of dynamics and three-dimensionality never perceived in a closed (I have not had the opportunity to try the r10 with leben)
I do not understand and honestly my ears do not reach the reason for all these criticisms towards 820; but have you ever listened to it well? then I repeat, maybe I will be the blasphemous and maybe this passion is not for me, but as ignorant,if I want to listen to music while having fun, getting excited, the 820 is one of my first choices.
perhaps the flaws that many of you find are the strengths that make me prefer them to many others

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3,753 of 4,362
I've had two experiences with the HD820: one short demo in a store off of an iFi Zen Can and another longer demo at a local headphone meet where I used an attendee's well-used pair on the Singxer SA-1. The first left me intrigued, as I had heard a lot of bad impressions on the 820 and I thought it was a bit thin-sounding, but not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. The second demo, with more time, a custom cable, and a wider variety of music, did not improve my impressions unfortunately, and I started to see more of the flaws. It sounded more "hollow" than "thin", and hollow is a bad thing in my book. I was able to get a better appreciation of its soundstage though. I'd like to spend more time with it, but it seems to pair well with warmer sources like iFi gear or many tube amps and I don't have this type of gear at home.

It's probably a lot to do with what qualities one indexes on. If you heavily value tonal balance, then yeah, the HD820 is not going to score well. But if you are more sensitive to soundstage or openness, and less sensitive to plain tonal balance, then the HD820 does very well in those metrics.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #3,754 of 4,362
For me was fit, it was really hard to make a seal. Which affects sound.

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #3,755 of 4,362
The HD820 is currently on sale for 1499€, holy moly that is an insane price!

No matter it's downsides, for that price, it's a no brainer

Screenshot_20221121-145151.png

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,757 of 4,362
The HD820 is currently on sale for 1499€, holy moly that is an insane price!

No matter it's downsides, for that price, it's a no brainer

Screenshot_20221121-145151.png
Unfortunately, the price won’t make it clamp any better 😜

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #3,759 of 4,362
Probably not; Sennheiser sold the headphone business out.

Sennheiser Sells Business OUT>
Too funny from the article! I guess this is called investing for the future!
“Even if they don’t have hearing loss, most of them will gradually get hearing loss with age, and devices like Sennheiser’s allow us to have earlier consumer access to such people,”

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #3,760 of 4,362
Too funny from the article! I guess this is called investing for the future!
Lol. Subtly introducing Beyer spikes into their new and existing products to funnel sales to their business.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #3,763 of 4,362
I think the Sennheiser looks considerably better but then I am German…

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #3,765 of 4,362
I am a German and if I'd get one for free, I'd pick the Yamaha^^

At least over the HD800S. In terms of sexiness it's on par with the HD820
Looks zu Plastik für mich. Not even for free….ehrlich.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back