Sennheiser HD820
Dec 25, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #3,782 of 4,366
You can get the replacement covers with Sennheiser logo sticker on it for $17.50 Article 581440 is part number
Please share where can you get these from, I'm looking for them in the UK, can't find them anywhere.
Also selling my pair (I don't have enough posts for a listing), looking for £750, PM if interested, thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #3,784 of 4,366
Go to the Sennheiser website than find the HD 820 and look for parts and repairs and it will show all the parts of the headphone. I sent them a email and they got back to me and I ordered the covers. They are easy to replace remove the pads then 2 screws and then remove the ear cup. The cover snaps off. Put new cover on then reattach the ear cup.

Dec 25, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,785 of 4,366
Go to the Sennheiser website than find the HD 820 and look for parts and repairs and it will show all the parts of the headphone. I sent them a email and they got back to me and I ordered the covers. They are easy to replace remove the pads then 2 screws and then remove the ear cup. The cover snaps off. Put new cover on then reattach the ear cup.
great thanks!

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #3,786 of 4,366
So I received my used HD820 several days ago, and I do feel that they are very much underrated as a closed-back for its sound signature, I do have a few personal caveats. First off, these have several fit-and-finish issues that should have been addressed by delaying its release and finding better design solutions. I mean, where are the clickers on the headband slides? The HD800(S) had them, so why not the HD820? The HD820 ear cups were heavier? Why not put metal clips on the headband to hold the metal clickers on the headband slides? Also, the ear pads do have some flexibility by putting soft and non-pliable adhesive for the inner velour to grasp onto the holders for re-application and the easier holder removal that I found about on this video:

Still, why not hire some third-party company, like Dekoni Audio, to make the ear pads for you, so that you can focus on better designing the final product? We do know now about this today, but this could have easily been addressed behind company doors.

Now for the non-fit-and-finish issues. Although the concave gorilla glass is a nice touch, it is a skin-oil magnet that quickly adds blemishes to its overall look. There could have been a transparent smudge-proof layer on top of it to make the look better. The cable connectors also could have been slightly angled along the users shoulders for better comfort and possibly more even weight distribution. Lastly, to go with the more slightly angled cable connectors, you could have designed better gimbals between the headband and ear cups for better comfort and possibly better seal.

Yeah, there are quite a few personal caveats for me, but the benefits from the sound and pre-existing comfort do outweigh the costs. Hopefully, Sennheiser can match their internal company restructuring as closely as they have been innovating on sound signatures after selling their consumer division, but we shall see.

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #3,787 of 4,366
I know it has been discussed a little, but does this leak a ton of sound? For reference, I currently have a DT770 in the office that doesn't bother anybody closeby (we do have whole-office noise cancellation though so it isn't dead quiet). If this leaks around the same amount I might try it out.

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #3,788 of 4,366
I know it has been discussed a little, but does this leak a ton of sound? For reference, I currently have a DT770 in the office that doesn't bother anybody closeby (we do have whole-office noise cancellation though so it isn't dead quiet). If this leaks around the same amount I might try it out.

It should be the same externally, but the HD820 leaks sound inside even less than the DT770, even with an average seal. However, the HD820 will need an even stronger amp that will at least produce more power in mW @ 300 ohms, as the stock ear pads are designed to add expansion to the ear cups and create an even larger soundstage. An balanced section of a Sabaj A20h will work, but an iFi Neo iDSD should work better as an AIO solution with its DAC and Bluetooth:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/neo-idsd/

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #3,789 of 4,366
Hi,

On Wednesday, I was in the shop trying HD800 and HD820. It was a spectacular experience with both but in the first 3 min. I was sure I was taking HD820 with me. But after ten minutes, I wondered whether that was the right choice. I came to grab HD820; after all, I got them. My wife liked them too over HD800, and finally, the man in the shop told me, but only after I'd decided they were his choice too. HD800 are incredibly analytical and clear; since I am a music lover and not an audiophile, I was thinking, even though I am so impressed with HD800 that it might be too much for me with clean sound after a longer period, but in short, it's almost unheard of how good they sound. (Hm, probably I won't resist temptation, and in the following year or next, I will have them too.)

I have one question. I bought Topping A90, and it's on its way (in three weeks or hopefully sooner); I was looking at DACs at around 500 euros (SMSL SU-9), but in the store, the man sold me the story, and I decided to buy Musical Fidelity M6x (hm, it's not 500, it's 1.6k euro).

He is a good salesman and is also on a mission to sell me an amp, even though I told him I am waiting for A90. He said he would land me Musical Fidelity MX-HPA so I can see if it suits me better than Topping A90 when it arrives.

Now I am wondering how good MX is, or better to say, is it better than Topping A90 that much that I should give up on A90 (I bought it at a huge discount). Which one has more power, and which one would I use no matter what other headphones I will use with it? I currently have several, but neither are harder to use than HD820. They definitely need more power than others.

I'd greatly appreciate insights. By the way, this is my first post, and I wish you lots of good music (and gear)!

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #3,790 of 4,366
Hi,

On Wednesday, I was in the shop trying HD800 and HD820. It was a spectacular experience with both but in the first 3 min. I was sure I was taking HD820 with me. But after ten minutes, I wondered whether that was the right choice. I came to grab HD820; after all, I got them. My wife liked them too over HD800, and finally, the man in the shop told me, but only after I'd decided they were his choice too. HD800 are incredibly analytical and clear; since I am a music lover and not an audiophile, I was thinking, even though I am so impressed with HD800 that it might be too much for me with clean sound after a longer period, but in short, it's almost unheard of how good they sound. (Hm, probably I won't resist temptation, and in the following year or next, I will have them too.)

I have one question. I bought Topping A90, and it's on its way (in three weeks or hopefully sooner); I was looking at DACs at around 500 euros (SMSL SU-9), but in the store, the man sold me the story, and I decided to buy Musical Fidelity M6x (hm, it's not 500, it's 1.6k euro).

He is a good salesman and is also on a mission to sell me an amp, even though I told him I am waiting for A90. He said he would land me Musical Fidelity MX-HPA so I can see if it suits me better than Topping A90 when it arrives.

Now I am wondering how good MX is, or better to say, is it better than Topping A90 that much that I should give up on A90 (I bought it at a huge discount). Which one has more power, and which one would I use no matter what other headphones I will use with it? I currently have several, but neither are harder to use than HD820. They definitely need more power than others.

I'd greatly appreciate insights. By the way, this is my first post, and I wish you lots of good music (and gear)!

Cheers!

Congrats on your HD820 purchase! The A90 should be more than sufficient with the HD820’s closed-back design and has an obvious upper-hand advantage over the MX-HPA with the medium gain setting. If you want to try more powerful amps, then you can call these folks in the NL to see if you can demo this amp with your HD820 and possibly even direct A-B compare with the more (trans)portable A90 on-site:

https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-master-19-balanced-pre-headphone-amplifier-rca-xlr-acss/

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #3,791 of 4,366
Hi,

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #3,792 of 4,366
remember gear will affect the sound you hear on your 820. What amp Dac did you use when you auditioned the 820? Since you liked that so much you probably want to stay as close to that as possible.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #3,793 of 4,366
remember gear will affect the sound you hear on your 820. What amp Dac did you use when you auditioned the 820? Since you liked that so much you probably want to stay as close to that as possible.
I have that in mind. They had MX-HPA, I am not sure (except it was Musical Fidelity) what DAC was, but it is a class below the one I will get on Monday (M6x). And the CD player was Yamaha; I don't know which model, but better than mine (Yamaha s303). I am not in pursuit for the exact sound I've heard there. Perhaps better... haha.
At home, I have two situations (tried three, actually). It's JDS Atom amp + Topping E30, Schiit Magni Heresy + E30 and JDS Atom Amp + Mac. And I tried them as well on DAP (Zishan z4 with balanced 4.4 output). And what's interesting, the most satisfied I was when I paired HD 820 with Zishan DAP, the most powered and maybe even cleanest sound among those three other combinations. Usually I use DAP with IEMS, but it was a pleasant surprise that it's able to run 300 ohm headphones without problems and with extra volume left.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3,794 of 4,366
I have that in mind. They had MX-HPA, I am not sure (except it was Musical Fidelity) what DAC was, but it is a class below the one I will get on Monday (M6x). And the CD player was Yamaha; I don't know which model, but better than mine (Yamaha s303). I am not in pursuit for the exact sound I've heard there. Perhaps better... haha.
At home, I have two situations (tried three, actually). It's JDS Atom amp + Topping E30, Schiit Magni Heresy + E30 and JDS Atom Amp + Mac. And I tried them as well on DAP (Zishan z4 with balanced 4.4 output). And what's interesting, the most satisfied I was when I paired HD 820 with Zishan DAP, the most powered and maybe even cleanest sound among those three other combinations. Usually I use DAP with IEMS, but it was a pleasant surprise that it's able to run 300 ohm headphones without problems and with extra volume left.
I have the Sennheiser HD 800 and the HD 820. The best dac/amp to use with it is the Sennheiser HVD 820.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back