Sennheiser HD820
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3,767 of 4,357
Yes but it’s superior Sennheiser plastic and it survives dropping and all sorts of abusive behaviour. And it sound good…for plastic.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3,768 of 4,357
Yes but it’s superior Sennheiser plastic and it survives dropping and all sorts of abusive behaviour. And it sound good…for plastic.
I'll give you all of that, but that doesn't change its visual appearance ^^

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #3,770 of 4,357
No, it doesn’t. I think it’s a very good design.
Your opinion is wrong because I disagree with it. That's how we discuss issues here in good old Germany!

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #3,773 of 4,357
Since a year I enjoy a NAIM Atom HE with the Stellia. I’m very pleased with this and particularly like the “snap” and definition the Focal HP brings with material like from Yello. But half of my time I spend listening to classical music and I find the Stellia less suitable than e.g. my Ananda. But for use in my (shared) living room, I’m looking for a closed set. I am looking for advise if the 820 would be a suitable headphone addition for this. I would like to think it brings something extra next to the Stellia for classical music. Your input would be appreciated. Thx!

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #3,774 of 4,357
Since a year I enjoy a NAIM Atom HE with the Stellia. I’m very pleased with this and particularly like the “snap” and definition the Focal HP brings with material like from Yello. But half of my time I spend listening to classical music and I find the Stellia less suitable than e.g. my Ananda. But for use in my (shared) living room, I’m looking for a closed set. I am looking for advise if the 820 would be a suitable headphone addition for this. I would like to think it brings something extra next to the Stellia for classical music. Your input would be appreciated. Thx!
I haven’t seen anyone own both the stellia and 820, but for what you are looking for, I would suggest giving 820s a shot.

Because jazz, orchestra, choir etc is in my opinion where they shine for me. A grand sound with very well done separation and imaging of instruments, but above all the air that these headphones produce is most suited for this genre.

It will however come down to the seal the pads make on your head. I for one didn’t enjoy them on first listen, but only when I took them off, and back on again with a better fit.

I have also read from others that the stellia let’s put less sound than the 820s, so do what you want with that.

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #3,775 of 4,357
I haven’t seen anyone own both the stellia and 820, but for what you are looking for, I would suggest giving 820s a shot.

Because jazz, orchestra, choir etc is in my opinion where they shine for me. A grand sound with very well done separation and imaging of instruments, but above all the air that these headphones produce is most suited for this genre.

It will however come down to the seal the pads make on your head. I for one didn’t enjoy them on first listen, but only when I took them off, and back on again with a better fit.

I have also read from others that the stellia let’s put less sound than the 820s, so do what you want with that.
The HD820 is better for classic music. but the seal was a pain. So I keep the Stellias.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #3,776 of 4,357
The HD820 is better for classic music. but the seal was a pain. So I keep the Stellias.
So I’m honestly curious, why did you comment?

Someone asked a question about owning both, I answered it open minded, addressed the seal being difficult and other possible pitfalls.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #3,777 of 4,357
Had the HD820 and Stellia but I don’t really listen much to classical music. Eventually sold both only to buy former again.
Stellia are good for rock etc where bass is integral part of the music. HD820 have larger soundstage and everything is bigger and spacious and therefore ideal for classical music. Seal is only an issue for bass reproduction I would say.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #3,778 of 4,357
I also had the Stellia and 820 at the same time to decide which to keep. Kept the 820; soundwise it was a clear decision. The Stellia had the resolution, but soundstage was such a disappointment. It also sounded a bit sterile compared to the 820. I really really wanted to like the Stellia as it's my favorite looking headphone. Of course love how the 820 looks as well but the Stellia had the fit and finish, and the gorgeous color. Seal wasn't a problem for me with either headphone.

While I wasn't a fan of the Stellia's sound, the Utopia is a different story. Adore its sound quality. But that's open-back. For closed-back, I'm good with the 820 for a while. Interestingly, the soundstage size between the 820 and Utopia isn't that much different - props to Senn for that achievement.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #3,780 of 4,357

Users who are viewing this thread

Back