Sennheiser HD820
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #2,717 of 4,421
i prefer the tonal balance and slight warmth of the hd820 over the hd800/s
Yes, so do I. Even without burn-in they sound much fuller than the HD800/S models.

Jun 4, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #2,719 of 4,421
That's encouraging to hear. Do daps drive these well enough balanced? Are vocals much better?
I don’t have a DAP to answer this one. But from what I’ve heard out of them so far vocals are much more natural sounding compared to the HD800/S I use to own.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #2,721 of 4,421
Yes, they sound really good. I suggest everyone give them a try. I held off for the longest time because of the mixed reviews. I'm glad I got them. They don't sound anything like to quirky FR graphs I've seen. They are 300 Ohms and I'm not sure a DAP will drive them to their full potential. But I don't see why a good balanced amp on a DAP shouldn't.

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,722 of 4,421
That's encouraging to hear. Do daps drive these well enough balanced? Are vocals much better?

Running high gain balanced on a Sony WM1z, I have to use 90ish volume out of 120 max. Plenty loud, but it doesn't have the low end compared to my desktop amp. Funny thing is that the HD820 sounds more like the HD800s on the WM1z so actually pretty good.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,723 of 4,421
The Sony daps are pretty pathetic in their power outputs. It concerns me to read that the iFi Micro Black Label did not work out well with the HD820. The fact that the HD820 comes with a 4.4mm balanced cable, which is a connection I believe exclusive to daps as Sony is supposed to have relatively recently introduced it, indicates it should work well with daps... the sensitivity is high but so is the impedance. Volume isn't really the issue.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,724 of 4,421
The Sony daps are pretty pathetic in their power outputs. It concerns me to read that the iFi Micro Black Label did not work out well with the HD820. The fact that the HD820 comes with a 4.4mm balanced cable, which is a connection I believe exclusive to daps as Sony is supposed to have relatively recently introduced it, indicates it should work well with daps... the sensitivity is high but so is the impedance. Volume isn't really the issue.

There are Cayin, iBasso, and Fiio DAPs that feature 4.4mm output. I'm not sure if Sennheiser intended for DAP use because their own HDV820 amp/DAC has 4.4mm balanced. Woo Audio WA11 is a portable DAC amp that has 4.4 in/out with plenty of power.

Personally, I don't take full size headphone out and about. However it is nice to use DAPs around the house without being tethered to a desktop rig so I am considering getting the WA11 to pair with my WM1z or my phone (with DLNA client app). Or I plan to audition the Focal Stellia since the Utopia sounds great on my WM1z.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,725 of 4,421
Found a nice case that fits the 820 very well. Comes with a little Velcro pouch for accessories too, make sure to select the"large" size....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-H...810908?varId=490735696541&txnId=1628968355009

IMG_20190612_223700390.jpg
IMG_20190612_223825142.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #2,727 of 4,421
I use the HD800 and it actually sounds "fuller" and "have more presence" than some live classical concerts. What's your frame of reference?

Before we go on a back an forth about frame of reference and perceived accuracy, realism, etc, . Remember we all hear things and appreciate music in a different way. It appears that you are more than statisfiied with the warmth and full sound of the HD800 since you perceive them as been fuller than some live concerts. That may be the case for you, but i heard the opposite. Great soundstage and detail but "fuller" than live classical concerts is not something that comes to mind with HD800 in my experience. For me the 800 lacks the warmth and oomph of my local symphony orchestra. But that's just me, I also understand also that even different orchestras, venues, seating position etc can change the perceived sound of an orchestra. Definitely an interesting topic for a science thread

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #2,728 of 4,421
The HD800/S are very good with classical music. But the HD820’s sounds better to me with that genre because they have a warmer tilt with better bass. They still retain what makes the HD800/S great but with more bass definition giving you that fuller sound. They sound more natural as well

Jun 15, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #2,729 of 4,421
Before we go on a back an forth about frame of reference and perceived accuracy, realism, etc, . Remember we all hear things and appreciate music in a different way. It appears that you are more than statisfiied with the warmth and full sound of the HD800 since you perceive them as been fuller than some live concerts. That may be the case for you, but i heard the opposite. Great soundstage and detail but "fuller" than live classical concerts is not something that comes to mind with HD800 in my experience. For me the 800 lacks the warmth and oomph of my local symphony orchestra. But that's just me, I also understand also that even different orchestras, venues, seating position etc can change the perceived sound of an orchestra. Definitely an interesting topic for a science thread

I see what you mean by “full”, sorry you can see I’m not the most familiar with this type of discussion. I agree that HD800 even well tuned (largely preserving the original FR, short of the drastic Harman curve EQ), can still be brighter than what we normally hear in some music. Maybe HD820 is better, that’d be a pretty cool accomplishment for a closed-back.

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #2,730 of 4,421
I see what you mean by “full”, sorry you can see I’m not the most familiar with this type of discussion. I agree that HD800 even well tuned (largely preserving the original FR, short of the drastic Harman curve EQ), can still be brighter than what we normally hear in some music. Maybe HD820 is better, that’d be a pretty cool accomplishment for a closed-back.
Please don’t be sorry these are good discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back