Sennheiser HD820
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,746 of 4,370
I got a good bargain for the HD820. I am planning to use it with my wm1z.

Any idea the wm1z able to properly drive this hd820?

Thanks in advance.

Volume wise it is ok. You will be around 90/120 range at high gain, balanced. However, the lower mids on down will sound thinner than a desktop amp. Overall the sound is ok but you will need something like a Woo Audio WA11 to truly get the full HD820 experience. That is what I ended up getting and still using my WM1z as an analog source for the WA11.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #2,748 of 4,370
I can only fully agree with everything you said there, I really like the HD820 as well.
And still, no matter how much I like both the HD800S and HD820 I can't let go of my HD600 and HD650, both wonderful headphones that are true high-end in my book no matter what their price is.
Call me a Senn fanboy but I love the Utopia just as much and am going to buy one, I'm only holding off a bit because I suspect they might renew that model soon.

But then there is the Stellia, the headphone most people want to compare the HD820 to.
I'm going to more or less quote a PM of mine to a fellow Head-Fier who replied he had the exact same opinion about the Stellia.
I tried the Stellia at home for two weeks and there’s a lot to like about that headphone: smooth, natural, slightly warm sound with mids still a little more forward than the HD820, all things I like. Very wide soundstage for a closed back, even wider than the Utopia I think, less wide than the HD820 of course but that’s no problem or surprise.
Like all Focals very good build quality and the most comfortable headphones I ever wore, they feel like they were molded around my head.
Looks very good apart from the color, I prefer the Elegia's looks.

But two things that bother me:
- While I like a bass heavy headphone and the Stellia sure is, the bass isn’t well controlled: it rumbles and bleeds into the mids. I'd also say it has a lot of bass but that doesn't necessarily mean deep bass. Take a THN-900/LA-900 for example: deep, slamming bass that is well controlled and well defined. The HD820 has less bass but it's nicely controlled.
- The Stellia is no Utopia when it comes to detail retrieval, it isn't as detailed as the HD820 series or even a HD600.
But the bass is the main reason I won’t buy it even though I could get it for 2,3K€ new. I'll get me a Utopia instead.

10303722.jpg

10303723.jpg

thanks, just saved me 2200 bucks, that thing sure is beautiful though. I didnt like the Utopia at all, I thought the mids was just too fatiguing for me and the HD800s is actually a better buy.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,749 of 4,370
I can only fully agree with everything you said there, I really like the HD820 as well.
And still, no matter how much I like both the HD800S and HD820 I can't let go of my HD600 and HD650, both wonderful headphones that are true high-end in my book no matter what their price is.
Call me a Senn fanboy but I love the Utopia just as much and am going to buy one, I'm only holding off a bit because I suspect they might renew that model soon.

But then there is the Stellia, the headphone most people want to compare the HD820 to.
I'm going to more or less quote a PM of mine to a fellow Head-Fier who replied he had the exact same opinion about the Stellia.
I tried the Stellia at home for two weeks and there’s a lot to like about that headphone: smooth, natural, slightly warm sound with mids still a little more forward than the HD820, all things I like. Very wide soundstage for a closed back, even wider than the Utopia I think, less wide than the HD820 of course but that’s no problem or surprise.
Like all Focals very good build quality and the most comfortable headphones I ever wore, they feel like they were molded around my head.
Looks very good apart from the color, I prefer the Elegia's looks.

But two things that bother me:
- While I like a bass heavy headphone and the Stellia sure is, the bass isn’t well controlled: it rumbles and bleeds into the mids. I'd also say it has a lot of bass but that doesn't necessarily mean deep bass. Take a THN-900/LA-900 for example: deep, slamming bass that is well controlled and well defined. The HD820 has less bass but it's nicely controlled.
- The Stellia is no Utopia when it comes to detail retrieval, it isn't as detailed as the HD820 series or even a HD600.
But the bass is the main reason I won’t buy it even though I could get it for 2,3K€ new. I'll get me a Utopia instead.

10303722.jpg

10303723.jpg
I really want to try the Stellia's. If for no other reason just to say I've heard them. I fully expect them to sound different from the HD820's since they are based on the Utopia's. But what I won't be doing no matter how good they sound is give up my the HD820's. These cans are spectacular and are getting better. I just got a hybrid Triton Audio Cable and the detail that was already existing is even more abundant with tighter bass.

I'm in agreement with you on the HD650/HD600 headphones. I have the HD650's and despite their age they still sound very good. I didn't like the HD660's or the HD700's but I enjoyed the HD630VB's when I had them. So I guess that makes me Sennheiser fanboy as well. I'm also big on the Hifiman sound especially their latest offerings.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #2,750 of 4,370
I really want to try the Stellia's. If for no other reason just to say I've heard them. I fully expect them to sound different from the HD820's since they are based on the Utopia's. But what I won't be doing no matter how good they sound is give up my the HD820's. These cans are spectacular and are getting better. I just got a hybrid Triton Audio Cable and the detail that was already existing is even more abundant with tighter bass.

I'm in agreement with you on the HD650/HD600 headphones. I have the HD650's and despite their age they still sound very good. I didn't like the HD660's or the HD700's but I enjoyed the HD630VB's when I had them. So I guess that makes me Sennheiser fanboy as well. I'm also big on the Hifiman sound especially their latest offerings.

You should certainly try them if you get a chance, they do have a lot of good traits but that bass really put me off.
Agreed on the HD660S, a bit of a mistake from Sennheiser, they should try again with a HD670 and make something that combines the 600 and 650 instead of something easier to drive. I do own a pair though, very akin to the HD58X I just sold which might be even a bit better than the HD660S.
I had the HD700 as well and didn't think it deserved to be trashed the way it was here. But it wasn't that good either I must admit.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #2,751 of 4,370
thanks, just saved me 2200 bucks, that thing sure is beautiful though. I didnt like the Utopia at all, I thought the mids was just too fatiguing for me and the HD800s is actually a better buy.
while the difference in price between the hd800s and utopia is considerable, the hd800s was ruled out of contention regardless once i auditioned the utopia

if you like the utopia, then i think that you would probably like the stellia too

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #2,752 of 4,370
while the difference in price between the hd800s and utopia is considerable, the hd800s was ruled out of contention regardless once i auditioned the utopia

if you like the utopia, then i think that you would probably like the stellia too

I auditioned it at a meet, did not like it one bit. Will gladly take my Beyer T1 1st gen over it. As far as ranking goes

1.Meze emperyen
2.HD820
3.HD800s
3.5.Beyer T1
4.Utopia
5.Ether 2 (which I owned)
6.Hifiman HE6 (something must have been wrong with it, mids sound very harsh)

I have a feeling the mass amount of Focal Utopia that is currently on the market was people buying into the hype and got disappointed.

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #2,753 of 4,370
I auditioned it at a meet, did not like it one bit. Will gladly take my Beyer T1 1st gen over it. As far as ranking goes

1.Meze emperyen
2.HD820
3.HD800s
3.5.Beyer T1
4.Utopia
5.Ether 2 (which I owned)
6.Hifiman HE6 (something must have been wrong with it, mids sound very harsh)

I have a feeling the mass amount of Focal Utopia that is currently on the market was people buying into the hype and got disappointed.
well you're entitled to express your opinion about the utopia and to list your preferred headphones, which don't align with my own. i disliked the t1 and found the empyrean boring tbh. i do prefer the hd820 over the hd800s, however. i've not heard the ether 2 and its been so long since i've heard the he-6 that i'd be reluctant to offer an opinion about it.

with regard to your "feeling" about the "mass amount" of focal utopia's for sale, well i'm going to take that as an opinion. it does come off as exaggerated, however.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #2,754 of 4,370
I have the Utopia’s and the HD820’s. They are two very different sounding headphones although they both have dynamic drivers. The Utopia’s can do things the HD820’s cannot do. The Utopia’s are faster, more resolving, and have better attack. But the HD820 are just as good at providing a detailed and very cohesive listening experience on a grander stage. The soundstage for a closed headphone is amazing and instrument separation is incredible. They both are good at letting you know where the performers are. The Utopia’s just does it in a smaller venue compared to the HD820’s. To me, they are complementary headphones and are both good at what they do in their respective closed and open headphone classes.

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,755 of 4,370
I got stuck with a pair of Stellias. I thought I bought it through headphones.com and it turned out it was Headphone.com, which is the same company apparently but one had a 30 day policy and the other a 365 day policy.

I definitely don’t find them as resolving/detailed/clear or spacious as the 820. I have the Utopia as well. Clarity and timbre on the Utopia are more natural/real than the 820, but soundstage is severely lacking.

If I’m reaching for an open-back, I’m usually reaching for the Susvara or 009S over the Utopia. If I’m reaching for a closed back, I’m usually reaching for the 820 over the Stellia. It’s nice to have the variety sometimes.

It’s not like any of them sound terrible. Bass issues on the Stellia can be fixed with free PC equalizers, but clarity/resolve/detail and soundstage cannot. That being said, it’s my least favorite of the above HPs.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,756 of 4,370
I got stuck with a pair of Stellias. I thought I bought it through headphones.com and it turned out it was Headphone.com, which is the same company apparently but one had a 30 day policy and the other a 365 day policy.

I definitely don’t find them as resolving/detailed/clear or spacious as the 820. I have the Utopia as well. Clarity and timbre on the Utopia are more natural/real than the 820, but soundstage is severely lacking.

If I’m reaching for an open-back, I’m usually reaching for the Susvara or 009S over the Utopia. If I’m reaching for a closed back, I’m usually reaching for the 820 over the Stellia. It’s nice to have the variety sometimes.

It’s not like any of them sound terrible. Bass issues on the Stellia can be fixed with free PC equalizers, but clarity/resolve/detail and soundstage cannot. That being said, it’s my least favorite of the above HPs.
Having a variety of headphones is nice. I have the Susvara's as well and they are my top cans. But even with those I still find things I like in lesser headphones. But I'm finding that anything outside of a TOTL offering will have some sonic compromises. With some mid-fi gear it's hard to convince yourself that you're not hearing what you're hearing when you know that you've heard better. But if you're a headphone enthusiast that doesn't make them any less enjoyable. Comparing TOTL vs TOTL headphones is when you have to be more critical. Especially if they are in the same headphone category. Then it's going to come done to preference. They both are going to be good but which one is better for you and your needs.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,757 of 4,370
Owned HD800 absolutely loved them - still do. But the Utopia won me over after a year of auditioning. The mids are not forward, not at all. in fact, I'd say it is among the most realistic presentations from a headphone out there.

The HD800 is a more relaxed sound, and trade accuracy in order to allow for its extended diffuse-field tuning. Not only did the Utopia have noticeably better resolution / transient detail, better bass quantity/balance, but listening to recordings that were binaural or games/movies processed by spatial DSP were rendered even more holographic and realistic than the HD800. Plus, it is even easier to power, so perfect for listening off portable devices around the home (the Stellia seems even better in this regard).

Still, I highly regard the HD800. It was more comfortable for my large head than the Utopia. That alone almost gave me pause.

I still want to check out the HD820, but my experience with many closed cans and familiarity with the HD800 driver, the Utopia makes better sense for myself for my main headphone.

Definitely will always be interested what Sennheiser has in the works.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #2,759 of 4,370
The 820 is about endgame for me until they break. For me, the closest competitor, the Stellia, can't match the Sennheiser for separation and soundstage. The bass and overall signature of the Stellia also had a sort of slight "roughness " to the sound. Couldn't quite put my finger on it. The separate instrument tracks also seemed to be mashed together relative to the 820. The Stellia may have a more immediately "exciting " sound, but I feel the signature of the 820 will ultimately prove more satisfying.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #2,760 of 4,370
The 820 is about endgame for me until they break. For me, the closest competitor, the Stellia, can't match the Sennheiser for separation and soundstage. The bass and overall signature of the Stellia also had a sort of slight "roughness " to the sound. Couldn't quite put my finger on it. The separate instrument tracks also seemed to be mashed together relative to the 820. The Stellia may have a more immediately "exciting " sound, but I feel the signature of the 820 will ultimately prove more satisfying.

This will continue to be a vigorous debate because the Stellia design fits a greater number of head shape/sizes. The HD820 seems to be a lot more difficult to get the right fit which drastically alters the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back