Sennheiser HD820
Jun 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #2,701 of 4,370
By the way, why is this thread so dead? Did the HD820 flop? Before it was released the pages were rolling through. Typically you have at least a few listeners active even years after release.

It's so good people dream away when they listen to it and forget to write about it.
Really enjoyed it out of my Senn amps but it's pretty awesome out of the Luxman as well. So is the 800S.

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #2,702 of 4,370
It's so good people dream away when they listen to it and forget to write about it.

giphy.gif

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #2,707 of 4,370
By the way, why is this thread so dead? Did the HD820 flop? Before it was released the pages were rolling through. Typically you have at least a few listeners active even years after release.
I’ll have mine in house on Tuesday. I’m eagerly waiting to get a listen them.

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,708 of 4,370
Okay the long wait is over. My HD820 has finally arrived. After getting them unboxed I did sneak in a quick listen before I start to burn them in. Right off the bat I knew these were of the HD8xx family. Nice, big, open soundstage, dynamic, tons of details and clarity with more bass than the HD800S's I use to own. They are slighty warmer sounding than the HD800S's but are still very lively at the top end. I expect vocals to sound a little more natural and have better weight to them. This is a plus in my book. I was expecting more clamp force on the earcups since they are closed to help with the seal and to me they fit slightly loose. They are very comfortable. I can see why some people are complaining about the fit and seal of these headphones. I think if they had more clamp force a lot the things we're reading about the fit, position, and seal of the earcups would be negated.

I think I got one of the earlier versions because I got all 3 cables. I think now the 4-Pin XLR cable is optional. Not sure if you have to request the 4-Pin XLR cable instead of the 4.4mm hexaconn one but I don't think you get both any longer. So I'm happy about that. My initial impressions are very positive. I got the Sennheiser sound in a closed headphone with very good sound isolation

IMG_1276.jpg

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #2,709 of 4,370
Okay the long wait is over. My HD820 has finally arrived. After getting them unboxed I did sneak in a quick listen before I start to burn them in. Right off the bat I knew these were of the HD8xx family. Nice, big, open soundstage, dynamic, tons of details and clarity with more bass than the HD800S's I use to own. They are slighty warmer sounding than the HD800S's but are still very lively at the top end. I expect vocals to sound a little more natural and have better weight to them. This is a plus in my book. I was expecting more clamp force on the earcups since they are closed to help with the seal and to me they fit slightly loose. They are very comfortable. I can see why some people are complaining about the fit and seal of these headphones. I think if they had more clamp force a lot the things we're reading about the fit, position, and seal of the earcups would be negated.

I think I got one of the earlier versions because I got all 3 cables. I think now the 4-Pin XLR cable is optional. Not sure if you have to request the 4-Pin XLR cable instead of the 4.4mm hexaconn one but I don't think you get both any longer. So I'm happy about that. My initial impressions are very positive. I got the Sennheiser sound in a closed headphone with very good sound isolation

Its very good, I wouldnt trade it for anything but a Meze Emperyean. I listened to the Focal utopia, HD800s, and HE6.

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #2,710 of 4,370
Its very good, I wouldnt trade it for anything but a Meze Emperyean. I listened to the Focal utopia, HD800s, and HE6.
Even the Meze Emperyean's would be a complimentary headphone in my opinion. It's a completely different sound.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #2,712 of 4,370
I have HD800s which I am happy with for now but HD820 could be my next option if I am to replace it.
I don't miss my HD800's or HD800S's at all after listening to these. The HD820's take everything great about those headphones and put in a closed back. Sennhesier nailed it to me especially if you are a fan on their sound.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #2,714 of 4,370
Are you serious both balanced cables are no longer included?
Looking at their website the 4-Pin XLR cable is below it as an accessory. The 4-Pin XLR is not mentioned in the "What's in the box" section either. Take a look:

Sennheiser HD820

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #2,715 of 4,370
I don't miss my HD800's or HD800S's at all after listening to these. The HD820's take everything great about those headphones and put in a closed back. Sennhesier nailed it to me especially if you are a fan on their sound.
i prefer the tonal balance and slight warmth of the hd820 over the hd800/s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back