Sennheiser HD820
May 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,671 of 4,356
I thought I remembered seeing a flatter measurement for the 820, and it certainly sounds not exactly flat, but slightly Harmon like with a slightly elevated bass. Treble certainly sounds less peaky than the 800/s, to me at least. The one above of the 820 from ratings.com kinda looks like a W.

FYI....

Looks like there's a distinct valley in the midrange here too. However, given the reported sealing issues with both the 820 and Stellia, it's hard to gauge what's an accurate measurement for either of them.
well if the first graph is of the hd820, then that doesn't support your claim. the stellia's "valley", as you describe it, isn't as pronounced as the hd820's, which looks more like a chasm. :wink:

edit: in the interest of full disclosure, i subsequently found the fr measurements for both the hd820 and stellia below at rtings.com. it is the same source from which @dfac73 has selected the treble and phase response measurements for the hd820 that he posted.

HD820
frequency-response-graph.png

Stellia
frequency-response-graph.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #2,672 of 4,356
I'll soon have a set of HD820's headed my way to add to my collection. I enjoy the Sennheiser sound a lot having owned both 800 series of headphones. If the HD820 can sound anything like those two headphones but with a better low end and bit more body then it'll be a win for me.

I have the Z1R's already and I have yet to hear a closed back headphone that sounds like them. The Z1R's are simply a joy to listen too and the comfort level is spectacular. To be as big as they are they weigh next to nothing when they are on my head. The Sennheiser 800 series of headphones are light and comfy as well. From the looks of it the HD820 should be no different. I cannot wait to get a listen to them.
From what you're describing, I think you won't be disappointed *provided you get a good seal.

May 25, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #2,673 of 4,356
IMG_0742.PNG

well if the first graph is of the hd820, then that doesn't support your claim. the stellia's "valley", as you describe it, isn't as pronounced as the hd820's, which looks more like a chasm. :wink:

Here's another of the 820. Looks like a W to me, or even pretty flat with a High bass cut to prevent bleed.

We could go back and forth like this forever, but I simply don't care about it that much, so good luck . Happy listening whether it's to valleys or plains.

May 25, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,674 of 4,356

Here's another of the 820. Looks like a W to me, or even pretty flat with a High bass cut to prevent bleed.

We could go back and forth like this forever, but I simply don't care about it that much, so good luck . Happy listening whether it's to valleys or plains.
well you're the one who brought up measurements and that doesn't look "pretty flat" to me, so it seems that we interpret those differently too :wink:

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,675 of 4,356
well you're the one who brought up measurements and that doesn't look "pretty flat" to me, so it seems that we interpret those differently too :wink:
Look mate, I don't care. That thing I brought up about you via pm. You're doing it now. You seem to spend every waking moment doing it. You can't even acknowledge that you do it. Let's both of us do each other a favour and put each other on the ignore list hey? So I'll politely say good day.

May 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,676 of 4,356
Was that from a sound standpoint or looks only? How would you compare the sound of the three? I'm familiar with the Z1R's sound and I'm curious about the other two in comparison, thanks.
it was from an overall standpoint. the hd820 had the clearest and most open presentation of the three closed-backs to my ears. its bass presentation was also the most precise and textural. the z1r sounds almost sleepy compared to the hd820 and stellia. It has the darkest and most relaxed presentation, along with the most bass presence. probably the least "transparent" of the three closed-backs to my ears. while the z1r and hd820 are lighter in weight, the stellia was the most comfortable for me. that's not to say that the z1r and hd820 were uncomfortable in any way. sound wise, it sits somewhere between the hd820 and z1r tonally, tho its mids are noticeably more forward to my ears. these headphones do not sound alike, however. the stellia's luxurious materials and build quality made the hd820 feel less substantial. even the z1r paled in comparison somewhat, and that's saying something as i'm a fan of its restrained, monolithic design and build quality. i also found that both the z1r and stellia provided more attenuation from outside noise than the hd820.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,677 of 4,356
Look mate, I don't care. That thing I brought up about you via pm. You're doing it now. You seem to spend every waking moment doing it. You can't even acknowledge that you do it. Let's both of us do each other a favour and put each other on the ignore list hey? So I'll politely say good day.
and that's where you should have left it. i've already suggested that you should put me on ignore if you find our differences of opinion so aggravating.

May 25, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2,678 of 4,356
Does anyone know why the frequency response charts in this thread recently (from rtings.com and such) seem completely different than the one which comes on the USB stick with the headphones?
freqresp_high.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2,679 of 4,356
i could hazard a guess - sennheiser and rtings.com use different measuring equipment and methodologies. and that's why comparing headphone measurements from different sources is not recommended. :relaxed:

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,680 of 4,356
Does anyone know why the frequency response charts in this thread recently (from rtings.com and such) seem completely different than the one which comes on the USB stick with the headphones?
Level of smoothing, and the finnicky sealing issue ....I'm just guessing. Your chart looks w shaped too.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #2,681 of 4,356
it certainly looks more even than the other fr charts but there is a recession between 150 and 600hz (mid-bass to lower mid-range), and no pronounced dip at around 300hz. take your pick. :relaxed:

May 28, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #2,682 of 4,356
I'll soon have a set of HD820's headed my way to add to my collection. I enjoy the Sennheiser sound a lot having owned both 800 series of headphones. If the HD820 can sound anything like those two headphones but with a better low end and bit more body then it'll be a win for me.

I have the Z1R's already and I have yet to hear a closed back headphone that sounds like them. The Z1R's are simply a joy to listen too and the comfort level is spectacular. To be as big as they are they weigh next to nothing when they are on my head. The Sennheiser 800 series of headphones are light and comfy as well. From the looks of it the HD820 should be no different. I cannot wait to get a listen to them.

How would you compare Z1R with HD800s if you care to share?

May 28, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #2,683 of 4,356
How would you compare Z1R with HD800s if you care to share?
They are more different that alike. The HD800/HD800S's are so detailed, dynamic, great resolution, and clear sounding with a massive soundstage. The Z1R's have big bass, more balanced, warmer sounding yet detailed. They don't match the resolve of the HD800 series but they are much more musical. I would categorize them great all rounder. The HD800/HD800S are almost genre specific. They do very well with acoustic, classical, and jazz. It's amazing how lifelike they sound. But with metal, rock, pop and hip-hop they are just okay. With poorly recorded music they are hard listen. The Z1R's are much more forgiving. No matter how old the recording is or how subpar the music is recorded they are a joy to listen too. For a closed headphone the Z1R's have a pretty good soundstage as well.

I don't expect the HD820's to match the bass level of the Z1R's. I want it to be as unique sounding as the HD800/HD800S's with an infusion of warmth and better bass. While maintaining the clarity, some of the openness, and dynamics of the HD800/HD800S

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #2,684 of 4,356
They are more different that alike. The HD800/HD800S's are so detailed, dynamic, great resolution, and clear sounding with a massive soundstage. The Z1R's have big bass, more balanced, warmer sounding yet detailed. They don't match the resolve of the HD800 series but they are much more musical. I would categorize them great all rounder. The HD800/HD800S are almost genre specific. They do very well with acoustic, classical, and jazz. It's amazing how lifelike they sound. But with metal, rock, pop and hip-hop they are just okay. With poorly recorded music they are hard listen. The Z1R's are much more forgiving. No matter how old the recording is or how subpar the music is recorded they are a joy to listen too. For a closed headphone the Z1R's have a pretty good soundstage as well.

I don't expect the HD820's to match the bass level of the Z1R's. I want it to be as unique sounding as the HD800/HD800S's with an infusion of warmth and better bass. While maintaining the clarity, some of the openness, and dynamics of the HD800/HD800S

I had pretty much similar experience having both but wanted to check how others perceived it. I can't wait to hear how HD820 fit into this.

May 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #2,685 of 4,356
I had pretty much similar experience having both but wanted to check how others perceived it. I can't wait to hear how HD820 fit into this.
I wanted a TOTL Sennheiser headphone in my collection. The HD800S's were it until the HD820's were announced. I sold my HD800S's knowing I would replace them with the HD820's one day. That day has come....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back