Sennheiser HD820
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #2,480 of 4,357
Hi everyone
I own now an hd 820
Do you know which Dap will manage to drive them?
Currently i am using shanling m0 with alo cdm .
I works well.
But I am looking a more convienent , portable gear and better sound
any suggestions ?
DX200 and Amp8 drive my HD800S wonderfully. I may have to grab 820....lol, that pricing is attractive....also, I do not know why I am perfectly satisfied with 800S, and Stax....but I am twitching toward 820....uncontrollably ? What the hell.

Need to resists!
6E3E71AB-BFFA-4CF2-A6B7-8FA901A699E2.gif

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #2,481 of 4,357
That price dropped quickly eh ?

I didn't buy it from that Singapore store, no use as with shipping and import here that would add $650-700 anyway.
I bought the one from Greygrey.
Nice addition to my Senn collection, finally have all the Senns I want. :)

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,483 of 4,357

Nice! I purchased a $1500 camera lens from them and got within 2 business days to CA. I can also confirm I did not have to pay any import duties for US. Like my camera lens, this is likely grey market so warranty would go through e-inifinty and only for one year. Fortunately, my lens is still working perfectly (Nikon) 3 years later. This is an attractive option if you want to save the dollars. If you use a credit card that offers extended warranty you may get another year of warranty.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,484 of 4,357
An E-Camera store, in Hong Kong called E-Infinity Is selling the HD820 for $1,679.00 New unopened box. I just ordered a pair. Enjoy.
Please let us know if you end up with any customs charges.saw this site too and am tempted.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,485 of 4,357
Had a nice visit to the Sennheiser store in SF last week, where I was the only customer. Really only spent about 5-10 minutes each with the 800, 800s, and 820 using mostly my Mojo but also their 820 amp. I'm a newbie so can only describe in relatively vague terms, but I know what I like. My HD700s are my favorite headphones I own (over Massdrop HE-4XX, 6XX, and Elex) so I was very interested in listening to the top of the Sennheiser line. Am very interested in a similar sound to the 700s and love a big soundstage, but want closed back to use on planes and not annoy the spouse who can hear my headphones in another room while he works.

The 800 seemed most similar to the 700s (though didn't have them with me to A/B and the store doesn't sell them or the 600 & 650s anymore so couldn't even try those). 800s had more bass and toned down treble and were much more pleasant than the 800. The 820 I enjoyed as much, a bit more bass, and smaller soundstage but much larger than the Elex, which is open. All 3 were huge and didn't seal well on my smallish head. Approximated what it would sound like to others with them playing while wrapped around my leg. Basically couldn't hear anything coming from them so I'd feel comfortable using them on a plane. Am now contemplating selling off the 3 Massdrops and getting the 820s when I can find them under $2000. Also tried out a Clear, LCD-X, and Ananda elsewhere and was not similarly tempted, though enjoyed them all. Ideally I'd get the 800S and 820.

You can get a good set of custom inner ear monitors for less than $1000 that will not only look good but will isolate you from the outside world while providing excellent sound quality. While some people eschew the custom fit IEMs tor those with replaceable earplugs I much prefer the custom made. All you need is a trip to the audiologist to get molds of your ear canals made. I use the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #2,486 of 4,357
You can get a good set of custom inner ear monitors for less than $1000 that will not only look good but will isolate you from the outside world while providing excellent sound quality. While some people eschew the custom fit IEMs tor those with replaceable earplugs I much prefer the custom made. All you need is a trip to the audiologist to get molds of your ear canals made. I use the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered.

These are great for airplanes. Not so great for at home when you just want the isolation from your wife or girlfriend’s demon ears...

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2,487 of 4,357
My HD820 was just delivered. I ordered last Wednesday during Chinese New Year. But I got an order confirmation right away. On Monday, yesterday, I got a shipment notice. The next day, today, Tuesday, they arrived at 10:30 AM. I will let you all know how I like them after they sit all night on repeat on the CD player.
Does anybody know how long for break in ?

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,488 of 4,357
My HD820 was just delivered. I ordered last Wednesday during Chinese New Year. But I got an order confirmation right away. On Monday, yesterday, I got a shipment notice. The next day, today, Tuesday, they arrived at 10:30 AM. I will let you all know how I like them after they sit all night on repeat on the CD player.
Does anybody know how long for break in ?
Just curious if you had to pay any custom duties for them. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,489 of 4,357
I did not pay any duties or shipping. They ship Fed X priority. I was a little apprehensive ordering from them. I had never ordered from them before. But everything went great. Got the headphones in less then a week, from China.
I just gave them a listen. Sound great right out of the box. So they should sound even better with some hours on them.
I think I'm one of the lucky ones. They seem to fit fine. No leaks, and are very comfortable.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,490 of 4,357
I did not pay any duties or shipping. They ship Fed X priority. I was a little apprehensive ordering from them. I had never ordered from them before. But everything went great. Got the headphones in less then a week, from China.
I just gave them a listen. Sound great right out of the box. So they should sound even better with some hours on them.
I think I'm one of the lucky ones. They seem to fit fine. No leaks, and are very comfortable.

The seller is in Hong Kong which operates free trade (no VAT, no sales tax, no import duty). I believe the US reciprocates within limits. I've never had import duty from Hong Kong and have a lot of stuff I've ordered from there. China on the other hand is a whole different story and in the middle of a trade war with US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back