Sennheiser HD820
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #2,416 of 4,370
It baffles me how anyone can even compare that Sony thing with anything from Sennheiser at any pricepoint. Or with any decent headphone for that matter.
It baffles me how someone can claim anything sounds good just because it comes from Sennheiser.

Just to enlighten you, Sennheiser released a lot of rather bad sounding headphones in the past, ever heard of the MM-550X (probably the worst sounding pair of Sennheiser headphones ever made) ? The HD598? (although some like the neutral wide soundstage signature, but the lack of bass just makes them average sounding at best, and I am not a basshead).

They also did release great sounding products like the HD600, HD650 (though some may argue, sounds slightly "muffled" but that's because it pushes vocals forward, which is just a different listening experience in my opinion), the HD800/800S or even the (overpriced) HE-1.

That said, while the HD820 is decent sounding, it doesn't even get close to the listening experience provided by the Z1R (or even the HD800S for that matter), it's a decent pair of closed back headphones with a great looking design, comfortable and surprisingly lightweight, it's even good sounding (although, not impressive and nowhere near the sound provided by a HD800S or even a Hifiman HE4XX, and that's a $170 pair of headphones!), Is it worth its €2000+ pricetag? Hell no! I Daresay you can shed €1000 off that price to get anywhere near what would presumably be a good deal (and it might even not be, considering you can still get the much better sounding MDR-Z1R (which to be honest, has no contenders when it comes to closed back headphones at this time), or the HD800S (still much better sounding, despite the HD820 being based on the HD800S design!), or even a much better sounding pair of electrostatic headphones such as Stax along with an Energizer to drive them!

Quite frankly, you probably never gave the Z1R a good listening or you wouldn't be trashing it. Yes, Sony has not always produced good sounding headphones, in fact most of them don't sound good at all, I daresay you don't want to invest in the MDR-1A or MDR-1AM2 which don't sound good in my opinion (and I do own these, I even drive them over balanced!), the MDR-Z7 are decent, although you can get better at an equivalent price range, they also do produce some pearls like the XBA-N3 (which are great sounding IEMs at an affordable price) or obviously, the previously mentionned MDR-Z1R.

If you can't have an objective opinion, that's your problem, if you want to spend €2000+ on a subpar/average pair of headphones, good for you, I for my part, will be spending my money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #2,418 of 4,370
It baffles me how someone can claim anything sounds good just because it comes from Sennheiser.

Just to enlighten you, Sennheiser released a lot of rather bad sounding headphones in the past, ever heard of the MM-550X (probably the worst sounding pair of Sennheiser headphones ever made) ? The HD598? (although some like the neutral wide soundstage signature, but the lack of bass just makes them average sounding at best, and I am not a basshead).

They also did release great sounding products like the HD600, HD650 (though some may argue, sounds slightly "muffled" but that's because it pushes vocals forward, which is just a different listening experience in my opinion), the HD800/800S or even the (overpriced) HE-1.

That said, while the HD820 is decent sounding, it doesn't even get close to the listening experience provided by the Z1R (or even the HD800S for that matter), it's a decent pair of closed back headphones with a great looking design, comfortable and surprisingly lightweight, it's even good sounding (although, not impressive and nowhere near the sound provided by a HD800S or even a Hifiman HE4XX, and that's a $170 pair of headphones!), Is it worth its €2000+ pricetag? Hell no! I Daresay you can shed €1000 off that price to get anywhere near what would presumably be a good deal (and it might even not be, considering you can still get the much better sounding MDR-Z1R (which to be honest, has no contenders when it comes to closed back headphones at this time), or the HD800S (still much better sounding, despite the HD820 based on the HD800S design!), or even a much better sounding pair of electrostatic headphones such as Stax along with an Energizer to drive them!

Quite frankly, you probably never gave the Z1R a good listening or you wouldn't be trashing it. Yes, Sony has not always produced good sounding headphones, in fact most of them don't sound good at all, I daresay you don't want to invest in the MDR-1A or MDR-1AM2 which don't sound good in my opinion (and I do own these, I even drive them over balanced!), the MDR-Z7 are decent, although you can get better at an equivalent price range, they also do produce some pearls like the XBA-N3 (which are great sounding IEMs at an affordable price) or obviously, the previously mentionned MDR-Z1R.

If you can't have an objective opinion, that's your problem, if you want to spend €2000+ on a subpar/average pair of headphones, good for you, I for my part, will be spending my money elsewhere.

Well, I don't feel enlightened at all.

And I don't declare phones good just because they come from Sennheiser, I just decided I liked them better than other brands after over 10 years of trying and buying many highly regarded headphones and I like the diversity they have within the brand.

I did own the Z1R for months and the accompanying dac/amp for a few days (it sucked just as much and is highly underpowered). If you checked my profile you wouldn't have had to guess.
I tried to listen to it and compare it to anything else I had at the time (of which many non-Sennheiser phones).
I simply can't understand how anyone can declare a pair of phones with REALLY over-emphasized bass and treble and COMPLETELY sucked out mids even remotely decent.
It sounds completely off compared to a a well-balanced pair of phones and even if I do enjoy some fun and colered phones as well this one isn't fun at all, it just sounds completely wrong.

And who are you to declare your opinion objective and mine not? (Not that mine is, nor yours for that matter, opinions are subjective by nature.)
Everyone has to agree with that Sony phone being the holy grail and no-one can think it sucks?
I think both opinions are needed so people don't buy it blindly like I did only to realise it has been a complete waste of money.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #2,419 of 4,370
I own the Sony Z1R and the Senn HD800, they compliment each other quite nicely. The Sony Z1R are fantastic at blocking out unwanted noise while presenting lush mids and precise lows with lovely highs. The Senns are there for their airy details and wide soundstage. Couldn't live without my Z1Rs...they will go down as an all time best in time...all in good time.

Our ears do not capture things the same, please do understand, but this is not the headphones fault. Sony really outdid themselves when they produced the Z1R. Such an amazing closed headphone - a real treat. I've had countless listening sessions side by side with my HD800 and the Z1R does not miss any of the details that the HD800 presents. Have no idea where people get the impression of the Z1R giving too much bass - this puzzles me and makes me think they have not heard the HP at all.

Meh, carry on.

Now, please understand, I'm a Senn guy - have in my possession the HD600, HD700, and HD800 but did not get the HD820 because I simply cannot imagine it beating my lovely Z1Rs.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #2,422 of 4,370
does the 820 need a lot of burn in?
comparing to my Z1R the highs on the 820 are like shelved for me. the high mids compared to Z1R have not much presence and not exciting. These are just my observations and not using the z1r as benchmark. I felt the 820s are not lively for me but has a very comfortable sound that I can listen to the whole day.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #2,423 of 4,370
I own both the SDR modded HD800 and the Z1R together both for over a year and I much preferred the HD800. The sad truth is that the Z1R falls short of Sony’s previous flagships to my ears. I do agree that the Z1R has an elevated bass and tad hot in the treble. I love its expansive qualities for being a closed headphones, still my recabled CD3000 was even more expansive when I compared the two side by side. The SDR modded hd800 out of my ECP Ravenswood can stand toe to toe with the top end electrostatic system. I also preferred the HD800 over the Z1R out of both the golden Walkman 1Z and TA-ZH1SS amp. Back in the 1990s to early 2000s, the older Sony flagships all have more of a reference sound tuning with airier and expansive soundstage with near neutral bass response. The R10, CD3000, and SA5000 were all like that. That all change with the Z7 and Z1R. Sound like the HD820s has missed the mark on this one.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,426 of 4,370
1. Would like to ask you guy's, what do you use as case/bag for the HD 820 when travelling?

2. My comment on HD820's SQ: taking into accout that each human has a different sound perception, personally, I can't find any particular disadvantages of this headphone. As a former ambitious musician, I think sounding as close to live music as possible is the most important quality of a headphone. In this regard, HD 820's bass, mids and highs sound realistic to me. I mostly appreciate the presentation of width and depth of the space, resolution and transparency.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations of a case/ bag for HD820 !

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,427 of 4,370
1. Would like to ask you guy's, what do you use as case/bag for the HD 820 when travelling?

2. My comment on HD820's SQ: taking into accout that each human has a different sound perception, personally, I can't find any particular disadvantages of this headphone. As a former ambitious musician, I think sounding as close to live music as possible is the most important quality of a headphone. In this regard, HD 820's bass, mids and highs sound realistic to me. I mostly appreciate the presentation of width and depth of the space, resolution and transparency.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations of a case/ bag for HD820 !

1. I don't think those were made to be portable in any way, I'd carry them in their main box for best protection, where possible :)

2. I haven't heard them , so I won't comment... I hope they have a live bass though, I trust the midrange and treble would sound close to live, but metal music tends to have really strong bass live, I'm curious to hear them :)

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,428 of 4,370
I think the z1r has a lot of character and the 820 is relatively boring and continues Sennheiser's track record for making disappointing closed headphones. Im referring to the Momentum and wireless lines.
Just my opinion, not flaming.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2,429 of 4,370

You might want to check out HippoCase product range.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #2,430 of 4,370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back