Sennheiser HD820
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,296 of 4,357
I'm not sure why you expect so much from them.
When you consider the numbers, there are other companies who consistently produce a higher volume of well-loved headphones.
Sennheiser consistently produces polarizing headphones, and sometimes some real stinkers.
Consistently produces polarizing headphones? I think most folk like their Sennheisers. They do cover a wide range of price points and I would say they provide good value for the buck. I do think the HD820 is overpriced. Not so much for the overall sonic virtues but for the build and plasticky construction.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #2,297 of 4,357
Consistently produces polarizing headphones? I think most folk like their Sennheisers. They do cover a wide range of price points and I would say they provide good value for the buck. I do think the HD820 is overpriced. Not so much for the overall sonic virtues but for the build and plasticky construction.

I haven't held the HD820 but if the build quality feels like the HD800 then the Z1R certainly seems better value from a construction point of view IMO at least and even worse value compared to something like the Ether C Flows. The plastic does feel pretty cheap on the cups especially.

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,298 of 4,357
Mm..more initial impression: the brighter HD 820 outresolves (detail retrieval) the darker Sony Z1R. Compared using the Nordost Heimdall 2 and Chord Dave.

ot: While getting the HD820 at the dealer, I got to quickly audition Mr. Speakers La Voce. Impressive e-stat. Reminds me of my SR 009. Also, I plugged it on Kann/Stax Portable estat amp: no go. Underpowered.

Yesterday was the first time I laid eyes on the Kann. I was repelled by it. UGLY in appearance and ugly to use. It is not an Astell & Kern product.

How do you like the hd820 compared to the 800S or vice versa which do you prefer

Sep 4, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #2,299 of 4,357
How do you like the hd820 compared to the 800S or vice versa which do you prefer

Having the HD800S and then got the HD820 was thinking to keep both or maybe even sell the HD800S, at least "upgrading" to the HD820.. I returned the HD820 and keeping the HD800S. Whatever the HD800S is as its specialty the HD820 is not. Its over and all a downgrade or at least call it a compromise, you give up sound quality for somewhat sound insulation, not even complete. The HD800S for what it is is what the HD820 doesn't have.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #2,300 of 4,357
Having the HD800S and then got the HD820 was thinking to keep both or maybe even sell the HD800S, at least "upgrading" to the HD820.. I returned the HD820 and keeping the HD800S. Whatever the HD800S is as its specialty the HD820 is not. Its over and all a downgrade or at least call it a compromise, you give up sound quality for somewhat sound insulation, not even complete. The HD800S for what it is is what the HD820 doesn't have.

I think the gorilla glass costs about 4 bucks on ebay.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #2,301 of 4,357

Mm...800S > 820 > 800. Open is still best.

Confirms my expectations. 820 acquired for on-the-go/travel buddy/vacay/office (best-use case). For home, open-back rules. Sound isolation should be improved on 820 version 2. It takes some tweaking to make sure it conforms with my head shape/size.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #2,302 of 4,357
^ i'm interested in your thoughts on how the build quality and comfort of the hd820 compares to the z1r

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #2,303 of 4,357
Mm...metal, some plastic, and leather vs. Plastic (lots of), metal and leather? Former wins (Z1R) handily. Both 820 and Z1R are supremely comfortable to wear. You hardly notice that you are wearing a full-sized headphone. Z1R fits me more perfectly than the HD 820. Really snug fitting. Sennheiser has to refine the earpads further. I have to tweak mine several times every single time I wear the 820 (Am I wearing it right? Is there leakage because it does not fit me perfectly?).

I do have an issue with leather earpads, regardless of brand or type, since i sweat quite a bit.

Build quality on both are top notch but I feel that the Z1R can take a lot more punishment (wear and tear, accidental drop etc.) The HD 820 needs a carrier for transport. You can’t just chuck it in a backpack and call it a day. A hard drop? Don’t! Not sure if the gorilla glass can remain scratch free with everyday use. I do know that the plastic housing of the 800 series is susceptible to chipping (my 800 and 800S have lots of).

Z1R vs. HD 820
Build quality: 9 vs. 8 out of 10
Comfort: 9 vs. 8
Aesthetics: 7 vs. 9
Overall Sound quality: 7 vs. 8.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #2,305 of 4,357
I haven't held the HD820 but if the build quality feels like the HD800 then the Z1R certainly seems better value from a construction point of view IMO at least and even worse value compared to something like the Ether C Flows. The plastic does feel pretty cheap on the cups especially.
Z1R is more solid and durable, I'd say for sure. The 800/820 is obviously designed to be lightweight and comfortable, but I had the headband assembly come apart on my original 800, and the 820 seems rather flimsy as well. And don't dare drop the 820 and risk taking out the gorilla glass.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,307 of 4,357
Z1R is more solid and durable, I'd say for sure. The 800/820 is obviously designed to be lightweight and comfortable, but I had the headband assembly come apart on my original 800, and the 820 seems rather flimsy as well. And don't dare drop the 820 and risk taking out the gorilla glass.
The Z1R was also not made to be abused by throwing it into a backpack. It requires a proper case to be in my backpack. The same as any better can out there. The HD800 is painted hence the paint can and will come off on certain places. The Z1R cups can deform from pressure etc etc... The Sony has plastic where it makes sense, so has the Sennheiser. And they probably have decent plastic with certain abilities not your standard throw away plastic.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,308 of 4,357
...but I would have bought the Audeze even if priced the same as the Sennheiser.

Thanks. Very telling indeed. Your comparison with the XC is great. I just wish the XC's weren't so damned heavy.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #2,309 of 4,357
Ot: mmm...the Audeze XC has always been on my wish list....it is what convinced me to get the Chord Blu MK II as a compellling pairing with my Chord Dave (xc/blu2/dave auditioned during CanJam Singapore 2017 and it was otherworldly). Only thing that is keeping me from getting it is.......maybe Audeze is working on a successor to the XC. I don’t want to get stuck with yesterday’s model.

Upgrade/refresh/replacement to the XC is long overdue. Neck-stressing, heavy planers are so passe and it is simply not acceptable anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,310 of 4,357
Upgrade/refresh/replacement to the XC is long overdue. Neck-stressing, heavy planers are so passe and it is simply not acceptable.

Aluminum maybe some magnesium alloys, even plastic...not so much steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back