Sennheiser HD820
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #916 of 4,370
Ok...I am totally at lost, we have more and more people that just talk out of their.....***....and I really am at lost. Let’s get back on the beautiful Hd820.

I expect it to have slightly boosted sub to lower bass, thicker trebles VS 800/S, hopefully resonances are minimized a great deal. Good isolation, and a sure thing is that the soundstage won’t be as gigantic as neither 800 or 800S due to being closed back. But hopefully it can out perform Z1R, or on the same level.

If 820 is what I hope it is, then we have a winner. Technically speaking 820 is built like a tank in comparison to Z1R

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #917 of 4,370
Ok...I am totally at lost, we have more and more people that just talk out of their.....***....and I really am at lost. Let’s get back on the beautiful Hd820.

I expect it to have slightly boosted sub to lower bass, thicker trebles VS 800/S, hopefully resonances are minimized a great deal. Good isolation, and a sure thing is that the soundstage won’t be as gigantic as neither 800 or 800S due to being closed back. But hopefully it can out perform Z1R, or on the same level.

If 820 is what I hope it is, then we have a winner. Technically speaking 820 is built like a tank in comparison to Z1R
You could also possibly add the Dekoni pads to change the sound even more to your preferences.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #919 of 4,370
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #920 of 4,370
This comment I don’t understand what you mean by ?

Just glass housing for example is a more robust housing than the Z1R porous breathable paper housing and wire mesh. The 820 may not need any good cleaning or vacuum works, but the Z1R has the potential to have dust clogged into it ? I am not too sure, but I logically think the glass is a better option. Now, would it be able to outperform Z1R ? Is another question.

Z1R with huge bass and so clean with great soundstage, it is one o tho very good closed back. Personal taste aside, yes, it is warmth signature to me, but the reason I let it go was because I could not deal with Protruding housing :frowning2: still love how easy to drive it is though

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #921 of 4,370
Just glass housing for example is a more robust housing than the Z1R porous breathable paper housing and wire mesh. The 820 may not need any good cleaning or vacuum works, but the Z1R has the potential to have dust clogged into it ? I am not too sure, but I logically think the glass is a better option. Now, would it be able to outperform Z1R ? Is another question.

Z1R with huge bass and so clean with great soundstage, it is one o tho very good closed back. Personal taste aside, yes, it is warmth signature to me, but the reason I let it go was because I could not deal with Protruding housing :frowning2: still love how easy to drive it is though

I’m expecting it to be at the same level as Z1R but completely different sound sig.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of them together, the HD820 looks HUGE in the head shots I’ve seen so far.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #923 of 4,370
If it is on the same level of Z1R and with more neutral signature, I will be all over it LOL!

I’m absolutely sure it will be more neutral than Z1R. I love Z1R but would never call it neutral.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #926 of 4,370
Technically speaking 820 is built like a tank in comparison to Z1R
My Z1R headband hasn't split open yet. Hope the 820's is more sturdy than the 800.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #929 of 4,370
its a mylar driver diaphragm
IMG_4257.jpg

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #930 of 4,370
To summarize. The HD800S is less peaky than the HD800, but the treble sensitive folks may not like the treble level. They are all fine headphones overall. The HD820 has even more smooth treble. In trying to minimize reflections and resonances, I think they really tuned these more precisely than anything they've done, outside of their $30 - $60 thousand flagships. They won't get massive bass like the Fostex / Denon / or Sony, but they won't sound bass light or weak down there. They really seem to get that elusive Harman Curve very well. Other than I still couldn't do testing on low sub info below 30-40 hz I usually do with my test tracks, what I heard lead me to be this has more sub bass than any other 500 - 600 - 700 - 800 series Sennheiser. Mainly, that would be because none of those really extend flat to 20 hz or lower. They all roll off at varying spots between 40-60 hz usually to start, and are way down or totally gone when you get to 20hz. Having full true sub bass extension, with ultra low distortion and no resonance, reflectivity, port noise, standing waves or anything else in the lows or anywhere means these are truly accurate without having to roll the bass off early to reduce distortion, or recess the midrange to avoid resonances. It's all there in an incredibly well built acoustic chamber of its own. That can seem fun listening to them, but not "rattle my brain" bass head, "sparkly" hyped treble, honky midrange peaks version of inaccurate "fun". We are just not used to hearing it so accurately, and enjoy that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back