Sennheiser HD820
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #947 of 4,370
I can't wait for the HD820 to come out.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #948 of 4,370
What even is boosted bass? I found the TH 900 to have a very strong sub bass, but it was extremely tight and controlled. Never ever boomy, muddy or distrupting other sounds. It has a higher potential for bass than most other headphones, but who's to say its "boosted" or above some imaginary neutral?
i would describe "boosted" bass as bass that is emphasised or prominent relative to the rest of the frequency response. i am saying that it is "boosted" based on my perception and the frequency response measurements that i have seen. i am only referring to the th900's bass amplitude or quantity - not the quality.

Are you comparing TH900 against the real subwoofers ?, if it is yes I will agree but to me TH900's bass is perfect for headphones IMO.
no

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #949 of 4,370
It doesn't surprise me at all seeing the argument on neutrality keeps going on... there will never be a conclusion because neutrality is NOT objective itself; it's personal and it's subjective. Flat response is not neutrality and the imaginary producer's view is nearly impossible.
For many hi-fi headphones, they're not flat but they're within a range that many listeners can gradually get themselves accustomed to their sound signatures. It's enough for me.
Also keep in mind many headphones are largely affected by the whole setup, they make the situation worse.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #950 of 4,370
It doesn't surprise me at all seeing the argument on neutrality keeps going on... there will never be a conclusion because neutrality is NOT objective itself; it's personal and it's subjective. Flat response is not neutrality and the imaginary producer's view is nearly impossible.
For many hi-fi headphones, they're not flat but they're within a range that many listeners can gradually get themselves accustomed to their sound signatures. It's enough for me.
Also keep in mind many headphones are largely affected by the whole setup, they make the situation worse.

Not at all. The concept of neutrality is more robust than you think.
I can't imagine someone in a studio uses th900 for mastering, though many use hd650 for that purpose. It would be another story for personal/guilty pleasure.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #951 of 4,370
the only difference between the th900 and the th900 mk2 is that the latter has detachable cables. i wouldn't describe the th900 as having boomy bass but it does have boosted bass. i can't help thinking that fostex didn't design the th900 with sound engineering in mind if the sound signature and urushi lacquer ear cups are anything to go by.

I find them to have the tightest bass, even beating the eikon and hd800.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #952 of 4,370
Not at all. The concept of neutrality is more robust than you think.
I can't imagine someone in a studio uses th900 for mastering, though many use hd650 for that purpose. It would be another story for personal/guilty pleasure.
Studios actually use neither. Headphones are not used during mixing, when the works of producers are involved.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #954 of 4,370
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #955 of 4,370
Brave man to post that here. :clap:
In all honesty the first pair of headphones I got that I thought sounded good at the time we're the Beats Pro, the original ones. At that time I thought $400 was a lot of money for headphones. Look at me now lol.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #958 of 4,370
It is subjective. When I say booming I mean amplitude as stated. There are a lot of Fostex fans here who prefer that, and I respect it. Having had EMU Teaks, arguably least bass and treble boosted, mid recessed, that still seems mid recessed to me, that sound is just not for me. No, that's not as much bass as a sub next to your head, which isn't as much bass as a giant bass amp on stage. As a keyboardist, playing a little bass guitar, having run live sound, and worked in studios, what can deter me from headphones is too much hype in one area, while other areas are under-represented. It's a combination of functionality and practicality, yet still, a fun sound. I like boosted bass, a Harman Response Curve style. Ruler flat from lowest subs to true mids (ie. 1 khz), like planars have, lets me down, if 20 - 80 hz isn't higher than 800 hz, we will have a problem. Run from any headphones ruler flat on a graph from 20 hz to 20 khz, that's gonna hurt. The Sennheiser being cans I could mix on says a lot, as there are very few I hear like that. Sennheiser has apparently been listening to customers and learning. Now can they please listen to us and get rid of the idiot face we see in their advertising on every page?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #959 of 4,370
The amount of bass can be also influenced by ear pads geometry and filling, in the range of about +/-12 dB, with no other changes done to the headphones. I hope the HD820 will have just a little bass boost (as seen on the FR) by default, which would be still perceived as pretty linear and the rest could be personalized by ear pads (or EQ, choose your poison). In fact, if @Sennheiser would develop and provide at least a bass-neutral (reference) and a bass-heavy (fun) version of the ear pads it would be extremely convenient and innovative. I will certainly do it anyway, but I would be happy if they would do it professionally :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back