Sennheiser HD820
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #692 of 4,361
I'm scared these might be worth the money, in some sense.

I have a new, long commute to work and back every day, also sold my HD700s because I simply wasn't using them but would still like to have a top-tier dynamic, and having closed cans around the house would be nice as well. These would fit all those desires, and as an added plus they'd be a nice contrast to the LCD4s which are all I have right now.

Really hoping they come down a bit from that price point, I'm sure they will. The Z1R is gorgeous, but it sounds like the sound signature just isn't worth the money at all. As much as I enjoy a full-bodied, slightly warm & smooth sound signature, I sure can appreciate something that's clear, accurate and neutral, as long as there's no harshness, sibilance or excessive brightness. The HD700s failed on that, a bit. I have never heard 800s, somehow, but it seems the 820s might take what I would perceive to be the "weak" spots in the 800's sound signature and push it back towards what I like just a bit, while adding the isolation. Sounds almost perfect, in fact...

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #693 of 4,361

I have a new, long commute to work and back every day, also sold my HD700s because I simply wasn't using them but would still like to have a top-tier dynamic, and having closed cans around the house would be nice as well. These would fit all those desires, and as an added plus they'd be a nice contrast to the LCD4s which are all I have right now.

Really hoping they come down a bit from that price point, I'm sure they will. The Z1R is gorgeous, but it sounds like the sound signature just isn't worth the money at all. As much as I enjoy a full-bodied, slightly warm & smooth sound signature, I sure can appreciate something that's clear, accurate and neutral, as long as there's no harshness, sibilance or excessive brightness. The HD700s failed on that, a bit. I have never heard 800s, somehow, but it seems the 820s might take what I would perceive to be the "weak" spots in the 800's sound signature and push it back towards what I like just a bit, while adding the isolation. Sounds almost perfect, in fact...
You absolutely need to listen to all headphones in question, maybe try a used HD800 and a used Sony Z7. Both will get you close to the sound of the HD800 and the Z1r. I had the HD800 for some month, it was good but not great. The Z7 which I still own was spectacular compared to the HD800 for me. Then came the Z1r which is like a polished Z7 to me. I still use both.

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #694 of 4,361
You absolutely need to listen to all headphones in question, maybe try a used HD800 and a used Sony Z7. Both will get you close to the sound of the HD800 and the Z1r. I had the HD800 for some month, it was good but not great. The Z7 which I still own was spectacular compared to the HD800 for me. Then came the Z1r which is like a polished Z7 to me. I still use both.

All Senns have a little warmth to my ears, the 800 series less than the 600s but I wouldn't describe a HD800 as simply clear. (Please exclude the HD700 which I like a lot but don't use for music.)

Is there more info on the bass, isolation and sealing of the HD820 yet?

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #695 of 4,361

You certainly need to listen to the Z1R before dismissing it and not just base your decission on Tyll’s hatchet job. It might well not be your sound but to me and many others it is more than worth the money.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #696 of 4,361
On the contrary, I haven't dismissed it due to that article, I really don't even want to address that as it's been 100 pages on that in the Z1R thread with nothing but circular arguing. Actually, it seems like the Z1R has much of what I'm looking for, but the "softness" that many speak of on the low end is really something I'd like to avoid. And at the least, I already have a pair of LCD4s, so I have "warm and smooth" covered. And it seems I should get something to contrast nicely, which 800/820s would do. And given my desire for something closed, seems 820s might be exactly what I'm looking for.

I definitely have to listen to more headphones, unfortunately I used to live somewhere that made this almost impossible. But I've moved somewhere that will make it far easier going forward.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #697 of 4,361
The Z1R isn't worth the money. It should be quite easy for Sennheiser to beat the Z1R with that massive peak up there.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #698 of 4,361
The Z1R isn't worth the money. It should be quite easy for Sennheiser to beat the Z1R with that massive peak up there.

Sigh ...

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #700 of 4,361
My opinion as well and I had one.

I also had the Z1R myself for about a week when I returned it. I had it before any measurements were available (so I wasn't influenced by Tyll or any measurements)

I also tested the Z1R against my cheapo $799 Aeon's the other day on Sony their $3500 DAP + Sony amplifier. I still hear the same things like I did back then.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #701 of 4,361
I love the Z7/Z1r, but I plan on trying out the HD820, as I like some Sennheisers already very much. I am very flexible regarding sound and adore greatness in engineering.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #702 of 4,361
Sigh.... :)

Listen to the Aeon Open right now, excellent headphone, it require some time, but the more I listen to it the more I love it. But my Z1R ain't going anywhere! It's a closed headphone but switching back and forth between the two the Z1R doesn't feel like a closed headphone.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #703 of 4,361
For me it's simple. If the HD 820 doesn't have this weird tonal balance, they win by default for me. However if the bass is not that good, then I will wait what Focal will deliver as a closed TOTL headphone.

I'm definitely not buying the Z1R again.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #704 of 4,361

My opinion as well and I had one.

Can't agree there. Poster above needs to try them before dismissing them outright. May take some time to warm up to the sound signature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back