Sennheiser HD820
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #661 of 4,370

Here's another interview from Grell about HD820. (This might be the last one, we already have plenty of these :p)

But just basically confirms that if you have HD800S and don't need the isolation - don't buy the HD820. (He is very careful about what he says what is the difference to HD800S , but basically this)

I think that the honesty and understatement of Mr.Grell when he's describing his new flagships, are unique in the audio world. I think this is a real indication of the quality of their
products.

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #663 of 4,370
I must say these phones do look really nice.
I'm also getting interested in the HDV 820.
Has anyone heard it? Not much info in the threads and only two reviews which condrtict each other at some point.
They are still prototypes. So all listening impressions are from a non final version. We need to be patient.

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #664 of 4,370
They are still prototypes. So all listening impressions are from a non final version. We need to be patient.

Has anyone heard it? Not much info in the threads and only two reviews which condrtict each other at some point.

As you can see my question is about the about the HDV 820 which has been released.

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #665 of 4,370
I love the way the 820 looks. The dark color of the outer cups really highlight the silver of the drivers that you can see through the glass in the center. Everything I didn't like about the way the 800s look is fixed.

I listened to the 820, 800s, and 660s through the HDV820. There's nothing I can really report but that it sounded fantastic. There was way too much ambient noise, unfamiliar test tracks, and not enough time for me to be able to winnow out any differences between it and anything else. I think it's safe to say that the HDV820 and the HD820 were literally made for each other and sound the way the Senn engineers meant them to sound, if that kind of thing is important to you at all.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #667 of 4,370
I think a closed back version of a classic isn't that bad of a idea. Though not groundbreaking it is indeed a step in the right direction for today's on the go society. I don't get to stay at home as often as I would like so having these on flights would be a nice treat in the office to especially. Now how long can the plastic on this unit hold up to that on the go abuse is yet to be seen. But I do hope all goes well.
The 820 felt like Teutonic engineering at its finest: a solid, confidence-inspiring, high-performance machine. Some headphones feel like they'll break if you look at them wrong. Not these. They use a different plastic than the 800s that is lighter and stiffer. Hopefully, that doesn't mean that it's more brittle.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #668 of 4,370
"They use a different plastic than the 800s that is lighter and stiffer. Hopefully, that doesn't mean that it's more brittle."

I think Sennheiser has likely done research to ensure plastic compound used in HD820 is durable enough for long-term use.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #670 of 4,370
I'm interested in the weight. The HD820 is 360 grams, that's only 30 grams more than an HD800s. For comparison's sake, an Audeze LCD-XC (which is a very heavy headphone) comes in at 649 grams.

Looks like the HD820 comes in close to the Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow (a very comfortable headphone) which is 340 grams.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #671 of 4,370
I love the way the 820 looks. The dark color of the outer cups really highlight the silver of the drivers that you can see through the glass in the center. Everything I didn't like about the way the 800s look is fixed.

I listened to the 820, 800s, and 660s through the HDV820. There's nothing I can really report but that it sounded fantastic. There was way too much ambient noise, unfamiliar test tracks, and not enough time for me to be able to winnow out any differences between it and anything else. I think it's safe to say that the HDV820 and the HD820 were literally made for each other and sound the way the Senn engineers meant them to sound, if that kind of thing is important to you at all.

Yep, synergy is important. I would need to compare with the BW as well.
The amp part got me interested, not sure about the dac though.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #672 of 4,370
Want to hear HD820 with Hugo 2 though summer is long wait without another quality headphone to use in interim. Shouldn't have sold my other headphones so soon ):

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #674 of 4,370
Am I the only one who has a problem with the HD800 headband? I'm glad they changed the earpads, they look great, but my god the headband is so unforgiving, I get a hotspot every time I've ever used a HD800.

For those interested in the new earpads theres a seller on eBay that sells a cheaper version. They look like they've been stapled together in a sweatshop but they look very comfortable.

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #675 of 4,370
Am I the only one who has a problem with the HD800 headband? I'm glad they changed the earpads, they look great, but my god the headband is so unforgiving, I get a hotspot every time I've ever used a HD800.

For those interested in the new earpads theres a seller on eBay that sells a cheaper version. They look like they've been stapled together in a sweatshop but they look very comfortable.

Dekoni Audio also sells earpads for the HD8XX series now too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back