Sennheiser HD820
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #706 of 4,370
What's happened to this place?

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #707 of 4,370
Well, I didn't warm up to them in three months.
For me it's northing more than a fine example of overhyped crap.
I just could not resist and put the overhyped crap on my head. lol. Keith Jarett and Charly Haden massage my ears softly. I can understand that it is not to your liking, and can understand that a lot of people like it. Let's agree to disagree and switch back to the upcoming Sennheiser HD820 greatness.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #708 of 4,370
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #709 of 4,370
I just could not resist and put the overhyped crap on my head. lol. Keith Jarett and Charly Haden massage my ears softly. I can understand that it is not to your liking, and can understand that a lot of people like it. Let's agree to disagree and switch back to the upcoming Sennheiser HD820 greatness.

I agree to disagree of course.
I think both opinions need to be heard though as people tend to make a buying decision based on opinions they find on fora.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #710 of 4,370
If this headphone has an energetic sub-bass then I'm all on.
I just don't find the HD 800 & HD 800S immersive enough because of my bass preferences.
When I listen to those headphones I feel nearly disconnected from the music, as if I'm listening to the dying memory of whatever I'm listening to.

Technically they are amazing, but I prefer my $200 pair of Mod House Audio Argons.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #711 of 4,370
I agree to disagree of course.
I think both opinions need to be heard though as people tend to make a buying decision based on opinions they find on fora.
Let me add that the price I paid for the Z1r was 1480 EUR or 1284 GBP JAN 2017, I'd love such a deal on the HD820 too...

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #712 of 4,370
Well, I didn't warm up to them in three months.
For me it's northing more than a fine example of overhyped crap.

Your hatred of them sounds quite visceral and unmeasured. Whatever. To each his own. Not going to lose sleep over it. Been enjoying mine for over a year. Sold all my other TOTL. Enough for me.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #713 of 4,370
The Z1R isn't worth the money IMO. It should be quite easy for Sennheiser to beat the Z1R with that massive peak up there.
Fixed your post.

And BTW that graph (that I assume you are referring to) is totally bogus or defective, or both. I mean, that would hurt my ears beyond repair.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #714 of 4,370
Your hatred of them sounds quite visceral and unmeasured. Whatever. To each his own. Not going to lose sleep over it. Been enjoying mine for over a year. Sold all my other TOTL. Enough for me.

Hatred, visceral, lose sleep .. pretty strong emotional reaction if you ask me.

Fixed your post.

And BTW that graph (that I assume you are referring to) is totally bogus or defective, or both. I mean, that would hurt my ears beyond repair.

In your opinion...

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #715 of 4,370
Feb 4, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #716 of 4,370
Hatred, visceral, lose sleep .. pretty strong emotional reaction if you ask me./QUOTE]

Bah. I'm not going to play that game. Not worth it. Happy Z1R owner here. Enjoy your headphones. I'll enjoy mine.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #717 of 4,370
If this headphone has an energetic sub-bass then I'm all on.
I just don't find the HD 800 & HD 800S immersive enough because of my bass preferences.

Technically they are amazing,

I agree. The bass just don't cut it for me
that's why I'm hoping if maybe a cable upgrade could be remedy to this *sigh*
If it wasn't of the bass, I would've like these than the utopia.

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #718 of 4,370
Want to know for yourself how the HD 820 sounds?

For those able to attend CanJam NYC, we will have an HD 820 on hand among other pieces from our audiophile lineup to try out! Look for me, Everett (EvShrug), and my colleagues Wally, Charles, and Ricky at the Sennheiser booth. We’re looking forward to you guys getting some ears-on time with this as much as you are!

CanJam HYYYYYYYYYPE!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 6, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #720 of 4,370
Fixed your post.

In your opinion...

Not really just an opinion.

Here Tyll agrees with Paul Barton on the issues with measurements from his rig and a lack of a bend in his dummy's ear canal:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2017-people-i-love-paul-barton

(Watch the video)

And Jude's measurements on a substantially improved measurement setup offer some outstanding results. :)

So there is some real data here and beyond "opinion".

FWIW, the Z1R are my favourite closed-back headphones to date and I'm looking forward to hearing the HD820...though I suspect the HD800S will still be preferred due to the advantages of open-backed headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back