Sennheiser HD820
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #680 of 4,357
Am I the only one who has a problem with the HD800 headband? I'm glad they changed the earpads, they look great, but my god the headband is so unforgiving, I get a hotspot every time I've ever used a HD800.

For those interested in the new earpads theres a seller on eBay that sells a cheaper version. They look like they've been stapled together in a sweatshop but they look very comfortable.
headband issue+1

Jan 28, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #681 of 4,357
headband issue+1
I've never had real problems with the headband, but I always felt that the weight of the headphone on the head was concentrated there... until I understood that I was regulating the pads too low. Once secured them in a proper position, the weight was well distributed on top and laterally (and the bass improved too).
But I think it depends also on the dimensions/shape of the head.

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #682 of 4,357
I've never had real problems with the headband, but I always felt that the weight of the headphone on the head was concentrated there... until I understood that I was regulating the pads too low. Once secured them in a proper position, the weight was well distributed on top and laterally (and the bass improved too).
But I think it depends also on the dimensions/shape of the head.
I have a problem with the headband material. That Alcantara stuff starts to fall apart real fast and it makes my head itch.

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #683 of 4,357
I have a problem with the headband material. That Alcantara stuff starts to fall apart real fast and it makes my head itch.
That's strange
:triportsad:

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #685 of 4,357
I do have the Z1R but the sibilance was really an issue for me so I couldn't really use them. I did hear the XC but didn't really like the sound.

Sibilance on the Z1R? There's a bit of a zing, but I wouldn't call it that bad.

Can't wait to hear the HD820. It won't have it easy climbing to the top of best closed cans, but who knows. It's good the form is changing a bit, I never really liked the pads/comfort on the 800/800S

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #686 of 4,357

That is not Alcantara, It was marketed as Alcantara from my knowledge, but they didn't continue to manufacture the headphones using that material.
Alcantara is a lot stronger, and resist very well to oils and mechanical wear. (Luxury car interior have some portions made out of Alcantara)
Sennheiser use "microfiber" earpads.

PS: I had the same issue with those nasty earpads... they are falling apart quite quickly, and after some time they start to flaking -- unlike any sponge/cloth earpad...

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #688 of 4,357
unfortunately in my case it's fatiguing
somewhere @ 8kHz-10kHz

Can you swap it out with another one? I genuinely believe there might be some that are worse than others. Earpads certainly differ a lot based on personal experience. That said, the two pairs I had were sibilance free, though it might have also been because I listen at lower volumes.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #689 of 4,357
Can you swap it out with another one? I genuinely believe there might be some that are worse than others. Earpads certainly differ a lot based on personal experience. That said, the two pairs I had were sibilance free, though it might have also been because I listen at lower volumes.

can't seem to find another one in my place. I am just really sensitive to sibilance, what I hear is like a mosquito bite but overtime causing fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back