Sennheiser HD820
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #2,041 of 4,357
I didn't have any issue with the fit. However with any headphone if the fit isn't right the sound quality will be off for obvious reasons. I have a bald head so that doesn't seem to be a issue

I don't think shaving the head bald is the solution. There is more to it, like head shape, cheekbones, etc to consider due to the large earcup.

You would definitely think that the fit should cover a good majority of the population and not just the odd 10%. I do hope they have done their research right and I might be the odd 10% instead.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #2,042 of 4,357
I also use the HDV 820 with the 800s and the sound is incredible. More bass slam than with the HDV 800 and also sweeter treble.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #2,044 of 4,357
I know my self i am using hd800s + wireworld nano eclipse all copper even the connector is all copper finish 4.4mm.

Hdv820 is probably the only ultimate amp dac for Hd800s and hd820 .

Beautiful set up
I thought about that amp also except the balanced inputs were of no use to me.
Nicely wired rig.
I know my self i am using hd800s + wireworld nano eclipse all copper even the connector is all copper finish 4.4mm.

Hdv820 is probably the only ultimate amp dac for Hd800s and hd820 .

Nicely wired rig.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,047 of 4,357
For me, when an instrument like guitar is panned to the extreme of one side on the 820, like in Nora Jones Painter Song, the lowest octave notes are not lined up with the rest of the instrument.
This is it exactly. And if you have a light seal, the bass is also light. If you have a tighter seal (via adjustment) the bass 'fills in' the bottom of the headphone from side to side, a common bass distortion on closed headphones....but obviously unacceptable at the 820 price, especially considering a LCD-2 Closed and MrSpeakers Ether C have no such problem whatsoever..

I tried not to think about it, and just enjoyed the clean top and clear open midrange, but it eventually got to me again.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2,048 of 4,357
So my bud that let me borrow his hd820 and me lending him my sony z1r we together came up with this conclusion.

1.if you are a hd800S or a z1r owner the hd820 is pretty much not needed.

2. The hd820 is not a fun headphone but rather a unique flavor of a hd800 that for some people will find enjoyable.

3. The z1r though having a weaker treble response then the hd820 provided a more fatigue free listening experience.

4. The ear pads on the hd820 and the z1r are both very comfortable kudos to both companies with the z1r just slightly edging it out.

5. The hd800S is more natural sounding, while the z1r is clearly colored. The hd820 is the cleaner sounding headphone over the z1r.

6. The hd820 is the hands down the better headphones out of the 2 (z1r,hd800S) in terms of usability anywhere you please. The z1r leaks a ton, and of course the hd800S isn't exactly going to be the headphones you take to a library.

That being said the hd820 is not a bad headphone, but unless you are needing a headphone to be on the go and or wish to go a closed headphone route the hd820 might be the headphone for you.. Personally if you have both the z1r and the hd800 their is no point in owning the hd820 HOWEVER if you wish to have a great hifi experience in bed while your wife is sleeping and you don't want to die then hd820 all the way lol.

Thanks so much, very useful for us Z1R owners that like them, I am not planning to part with them yet.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2,049 of 4,357
Thanks so much, very useful for us Z1R owners that like them, I am not planning to part with them yet.

The z1r are a great pair of headphones like any headphone you will have flaws but realistically if the hd820 was a clear upgrade to them I would admit to it. But in all honesty what you're paying for what your me getting well it's just not worth it if you dished out your hard earned money already. Enjoy your cans and when a good deal comes up and you feel like it's the right move to make get them. But for now I think I am going to wait for a Bluetooth version of a hd820 because to me then that massive asking price is worth it imo

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,050 of 4,357
I find the 820 to be the much better headphone, except for the inconsistent bass due to the dodgy fit. If they could design a decent set of pads for them, they'd have a winner. Either that or design a tighter fitting headband and build vents in the earcups.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,052 of 4,357
I find the 820 to be the much better headphone, except for the inconsistent bass due to the dodgy fit. If they could design a decent set of pads for them, they'd have a winner. Either than or design a tighter fitting headband and build vents in the earcups.
Again the HD820 fits my skull perfectly. So maybe this is an isolated problem for some users. I just did put them on and had a great sound from the start. If for you the fit is off, there will probably be no cure for that. I would have bought it. But I have the HD800SD plus the Z1R and Z7. I found no reason to jump on HD820 right now. Might wait this out and get a used one in a few years though.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,053 of 4,357
Having two optional pads, velour for those who want less warmth and a bit more spacious sound, at the cost of more leakage and a bit more treble, all leather / pleather for better seal, more bass, and perhaps adjustable venting (to make them a bit semi-open allowing for less resonance, or keep them stock) would be a nice interesting upgrade if they ever decide to make an upscale HD820s model. I'm sure there are other small changes to address customer feedback possible.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,054 of 4,357
Having two optional pads, velour for those who want less warmth and a bit more spacious sound, at the cost of more leakage and a bit more treble, all leather / pleather for better seal, more bass, and perhaps adjustable venting (to make them a bit semi-open allowing for less resonance, or keep them stock) would be a nice interesting upgrade if they ever decide to make an upscale HD820s model. I'm sure there are other small changes to address customer feedback possible.
Would the Dekoni pads do the trick? https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...rid-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd800-headphones/
Seems they work for the 820 as well. Anyone having experience with Dekoni?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back