Sennheiser HD820
Aug 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,071 of 4,370
That explains what I was hearing on the HD820.
Me too. That bass hump is the result of a proper fit. Did Sennheiser not hear this?

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2,074 of 4,370
I honestly think that its a harder choice to pick between the hd800S over the hd820 I think that the trade offs they make over the other make it tempting for a consumer to buy both and be happy. Sennheiser should sell them both together for 3k it would be a amazing package deal. If you want something that isolates well and gives you a reference sound or if you want something that gives you a out of this world sound stage with a natural sound. Man i gotta stop this I'm gonna shell out $2400 if I don't haha I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do something for black Friday
I have both and have been jumping back and forth between the two, and I prefer the 800S for classical and most jazz, but the 820 for rock or where I just want more bass punch. Sometimes it’s a close call, but they are both different.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #2,075 of 4,370
I think the reason one could be happy with a z1r over the hd820 is that the hd820 sounds like a familiar headphone where the z1r is a total new experience with your music. The hd820 is for people I feel that like to listen to their music with no coloration, now don't get me wrong for classical music the z1r doesn't hold a candle against the hd820..but for every other music genre well.... Let's say this sony is a leading producer for music and a ton of artists are signed under sony labels the z1r is to me the better experience. I think today is my final listen with my friends hd820s and I'm off to maybe in the future purchase one of these or a focal utopia closed back if it ever comes to fruition
I owned the Z1R for about a month and found for my taste, they were a little to dark sounding. I personally prefer the 820, but it’s a very subjective thing.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #2,076 of 4,370
I have both and have been jumping back and forth between the two, and I prefer the 800S for classical and most jazz, but the 820 for rock or where I just want more bass punch. Sometimes it’s a close call, but they are both different.

They are meant to compliment each other and boy do they do a great job.. I enjoyed rap music more on the hd820 but for pop songs (maroon 5) for me the hd800S took the cake.

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,078 of 4,370
I read this review by Steve Gutenberg, and generally it’s on the money. I read his work and watch his daily utube blog, and he’s a big headphone aficionado.
Did you have any difficulty getting a proper consistent seal?

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #2,080 of 4,370
Haven't heard the 820 yet but I've been stable for a lot of time with the 800+Z1R combo and your findings don't surprise me. I expect the 820 to be a bit of a mix of the two, without really excelling at anything. Probably not a bad choice for someone who only wants 1 set, tho.

You’r rocking the same as me (i have H800s, thou). Great choice, I love the difference between the two which leaves no desires open on any end ...

However, if I’d have to go for one headphone only, it would be the hd820.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #2,082 of 4,370
No, but I find the 820 sounds best to me with the phones sitting straight up and the headband pushed slightly forward on my head, but sitting flat across.
On my 800S, I don’t hear any difference whether they are straight up or tilted back.
Thank you. I'm getting a fairly consistent seal now with the phones sitting high on the sides of the head, the ears tucked into the lower end of the pad openings. If there is any space between the bottom of the ears and the bottom of the pad opening, the seal goes awry.

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #2,085 of 4,370
Mm...read the Cnet review (Steve Gutenberg). Kinda’ disappointed about the isolation being inferior to the Z1R and the LCD XC (expected since it has thicker pads). Still waiting for my unit to arrive....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back