Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,254 of 6,514
Nice to get a review from someone with THE  REAL HI FI  REFERENCE, acoustic music, here for a change!
To me all else is just how people like  their distortions to sound.
Most POP ROCK RAP AND even more so horribly distorted ELECTRONICA is completely unsuitable for comparing HIGH END HI FI. And HD 800 the old one which I have used since its release on an almost daily basis is about as good as dynamic headphones get imo.
But I would like to compare it more to the new one and also HEK from Hifiman.
Have you compared the two Sennheisers to the HEK?

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2,255 of 6,514
  Nice to get a review from someone with THE  REAL HI FI  REFERENCE, acoustic music, here for a change!
Most POP ROCK RAP AND even more so horribly distorted ELECTRONICA is completely unsuitable for comparing HIGH END HI FI. And HD 800 the old one which I have used since its release on an almost daily basis is about as good as dynamic headphones get imo.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing after Hildegard of Bingen has been music in the fullest sense of the word. "Just distortions" is a great way to put it!

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,256 of 6,514

As far as I'm concerned, nothing after Hildegard of Bingen has been music in the fullest sense of the word. "Just distortions" is a great way to put it!

Oh wow. What about world music?

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,257 of 6,514

Wow, you've just taken audio snobbery to a whole new level.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,261 of 6,514

Really?

What you like and consider music does not mean at all that something is or not music. I can understand how even grindcore is music, or dubstep or types of electronica not based off an already existent instrument (synth can be an instrument though?). You really need to open the mind and ignore little details such as how distortion was used, because it is evolution afterall (electric guitar distortion effects are practically everywhere, and I love these things).

Well, I listen mostly to Pop, Rock, Metal, Rap, Electronica and their subgeneres. But I also listen to classical and acoustic pieces and to symphonic music. All music has it's own beauty, it's own soul, it's own thing going on. Yes, most used a form of shaping noise and distortion to make certain effects, like distorts for guitars, or bass effects in Electronica subgenera, etc. But dude I love metal music, and a metal solo is un-comparable in means of energy and raw feeling it gives to the listener. Neither is the serenity of a classical piece. Every type of music has it's own wonder about it, and opening to new types of music can always make one's life better
smile_phones.gif

As long as most people who buy headphones listen to the mentioned genera, all headphones should reproduce all genera well, to be considered good headphones. There is always EQ for altering the other part of the problem. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,262 of 6,514
I guess I got 70 gigs of crap.:eek:

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #2,263 of 6,514

I'm going out on a limb here and suggest that this post was all in good fun,  considering Saint Hildegard has been dead since 1179.  Or if not in jest perhaps eluding that since early music composition all music is merely a "distortion" as the OP puts it.

His take on "distortion" referring to a stylistic and compositional evolution.

That the early music of Hildegards time has evolved from its infant form to what we have today.  This early music was a building block in the road to modern music as we know it....a "distortion" if you will.

I guess I got 70 gigs of crap.
eek.gif

You finally admit it ..........about time.
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,264 of 6,514
I guess I got 70 gigs of crap.
eek.gif

Possibly I have another few gigs of crap here but it is interesting crap (to me anyway). I found another graph which shows average hearing loss vs age for an extended frequency range. Check out the graph for age = 40.  There is a major dip @ approximately 6KHZ (the dreaded peak). This dip due to hearing loss is at least 4+dB lower than the value @ 8Khz . Hence the required peak by at least 4dB on the HD800.The HD800 curve must then decrease (as it does) to counter the increased hearing amplitude @ 8Khz. Then the HD800 curve increases again to compensate for the rolloff shortly after. It's uncanny how the curves match the HD800 frequency response when the ears increased response for speech frequencies is factored in. To me it is a no brainer that the original HD800 was designed for a slightly older age demographic and the HD800S for a new target younger audience or lucky older people with great hearing.
Now looking at the age = 30 graph you can see that the  6 kHz peak needs to be much less but it still needs to be there ( hence the peak still recorded on real HD800S graphs not averaged).
If the headphone was designed for a 20 year old then there needs to be hardly any peak at all for a flat response but Mr Senn knows that comparatively few 20 year olds would be willing/ able to come up with the large cash outlay for an HD800Z and it makes no business sense. Just reading from the graph here (and I know this is just one graph), but..
If you were 50 years old or had really damaged hearing then possibly the 6 kHz peak  you would still hear as bothersome as you can no longer hear the strong 10K-12K high frequencies to balance it hence Sennheisers masking effect marketing may have some real basis! (Maybe I am reaching a bit on this last one)..
Enough graph rubbish from me, back to listening to music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back