Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 4, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,267 of 6,504
Continuing on to more impressions...

So far I've done classic rock, hip hop, electronica and solo piano. How about violins?

One thing I have discovered in france are all the small labels doing audiophile sound and dynamic performances of chamber music. The scholarship is sometimes astounding. Some of it is mixed on the HD800! I don't know how much of it makes it outside of france, I guess everyone has heard some of the alpha recordings. Checkout the stuff with Cafe Zimmermann doing Bach. But I digress. For this test I used a recent release by L'Aura Rilucente Handel & Haym: Trio Sonatas in hi-res. Haym is quite a discovery, a contemporary/collaborator of Handel. His trio sonata in D was a revelation, with quite a thrilling Allegro for the finale. 

On both headphones you can clearly make out the two lead violins furiously trading licks back and forth, with cello harp and organ underneath. The sense of air around the instruments is absolutely to die for with the HD800 and the instrument seperation is fantastic. Every sound seems to suspended perfectly in space. This headphone was mad efor music like this. And yet,  every now and then the lead violin is just a wee bit too strident or sharp. I suspect with my no longer young ears, this bothers me less than some. 

The HD800 S on the other hand really nails the timbre and the decay of the instruments which sound a hair more natural. It seems to be just enough less strident on the higher registers than its more experienced sibling. This comes at the expense of air. The difference between the two is small, but very definitely there. It isn't like I have to go back and forth ten times and listen really closely to discern a difference.

Ok, At this point I decided to switch amps. I leave the Lehmann with its two SE outputs and go over to the more laborious Icon Audio 8 MK ii with its single output. The HD800 shines on this amp, more holographic sound and less strident than the Lehmann. It is why I bought it. Everything is right with the world once again. Until I switch over to the S, and once again I feel like the timbre is slightly more correct. The S doesn't sound as different on the tubes as its bro, but I still like it better on tubes. And while I have again given up a bit of air and definition around the instruments, in addition to the timbre and decay, I think I get a blacker background. It's a tradeoff. If you are happy with your HD800 as is, I would say you need to audition rather than buy an S on the blind.

So next I try symphony. I am a bit of a freak about Mahler's ninth, especially the second movement. So for this, I chose Kubelik with Symphonieorchester des beyerischen Rundfunks from 1967.  Going back and forth between phones, this time sticking with the tubular goodness of the Icon, it is all becoming pretty clear now. 

Tympani go a wee bit lower and hit a wee bit harder on the S. Experience counts though and in this case older bro has it for instrument separation & definition, especially on the complex crescendos. And again on the S the timbre sounds more natural, and less strident. The warmer sound generally works here-it sounds more natural, but it is still a pretty bright headphone. Just a little less so. And gosh those tympani thump soooooo satisfyingly. 

I might try some other music but I think the picture is in focus now. I promised someone dear to me that I would sell one or the other. I am a little torn. Probably gonna keep the S. I have put more than 100 hours of listening in. 

HD800 more air, sometimes better instrument separation/definition. HD800 S sometimes goes a little lower and slams a bit more, warmer, less prone to piercing highs, even more natural timbre and decay. S better with rock, hip hop and maybe electronica. Classical music, it's harder to say. Both seem to scale with amplification, both like my tube amp best. (I have three amps around here to try). I suspect the S is less amp dependent, but someone with more different amps would be better off answering this. 

Lots of people been asking about this compared to the HEK. I think no one can actually tell you which is better, they sound so different. Personally, I don't like the more relaxed sound of the HEK. I did a side by side with the HD800 this summer. I also don't like how heavy it is, my neck gets sore. And finally, I don't have the same confidence in the longevity of the Hifimann yet. And even more finally, $3000 is even crazier money. Too crazy for me with all the other stuff I could buy, given the fact that I find it a side grade at best. If you heard the HEK, liked it and were thinking of getting it, I would recommend auditioning the HD800S. The slightly warmer more natural  sound then the classic while retaining most of the precision, makes me think a few of the people tilting to the HEK might tilt back. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,268 of 6,504
Finally some snobbery in this thread, it was seriously missing some condescension 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 The only thing better than arguing about headphones and amps (and their prices) is music taste... 
deadhorse.gif
biggrin.gif

BTT: Has anyone tried the HD800(S) with the ifi iDSD micro? I am looking for a porable dac/amp that can drive the HD800S with some headroom, but also my IEMs. This means the noise floor should be as low as possible (I hate hiss) and it needs a gain switch. I would also be open for other suggestions. Ideally, the dac should be MFI certified (which is not the case for the iDSD, unfortunately).

Edit: @shabta thanks for the nice read, once more!

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,269 of 6,504
shabta,  your making my wait for the S even harder, but thats a good thing
L3000.gif
 cant wait for nigel armstrong violin , alissa wilerstein cello, and the knights for classical or vocals of haile lorne jazz... my 900 tho is throwing kick drums and slap bass like a pro. It will be interesting to compare.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,270 of 6,504
L3000.gif
 cant wait for nigel armstrong violin , alissa wilerstein cello, and the knights for classical or vocals of haile lorne jazz... my 900 tho is throwing kick drums and slap bass like a pro. It will be interesting to compare.

If the Th900 share some DNA with the old Denon D2000, then I would say you have a very nice complementary selection. But I guess, when you switch directly between them, you might feel there is no base coming from the HD800S?! 
smile.gif

Anyways, I feel your pain. Waiting is a bitch...

And please share your comparison if you'd like!

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,271 of 6,504
... BTT: Has anyone tried the HD800(S) with the ifi iDSD micro? I am looking for a porable dac/amp that can drive the HD800S with some headroom, but also my IEMs. This means the noise floor should be as low as possible (I hate hiss) and it needs a gain switch. I would also be open for other suggestions. Ideally, the dac should be MFI certified (which is not the case for the iDSD, unfortunately).

Edit: @shabta thanks for the nice read, once more!

I'm new user of iFI Micro iDSD (better with battery, not USB-powered). Haven't heard 800S, but with 800 I can feel, that depending from recording label/producer there is plenty of highs (sometimes 'too much plenty') but then again even almost less than needed, as is for example with superb Norway label 2L (2L c/o Lindberg Lyd AS). And no sensitivity or hiss problems with SHURE 530 IEM...
Hope it helps somehow...

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,272 of 6,504
L3000.gif

To quote Tom Petty: "Waiting is the hardest part." I am pretty sure you will like the S for mr. nigel and ms. alisa ( I really like her album "Solo" from last year). The 900 is such a different headphone that they make a complimentary team...

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,273 of 6,504
I have to say my extensive collection of electronically generated noise does sound quite good on the HD800S... it offers just enough bass to not take the fun out of electronic genres, does not kill it with piercing treble, makes it sound effortless, brings out many details easily lost with many other setups and offers a wide image... very nice. I'm quite happy with electronica not having an absolute reference (i.e. a real instrument one might feel compelled to compare to)... to me electronic music is native when played through a good setup, not like performed music that was recorded ans is reproduced.

Besides that advantage (I see it as such) I think the main point of a headphone is something very personal: does it make *my* music sound good? It doesn't help much if its able to reproduce a triangle life-like but fails miserably ad Deep House.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,274 of 6,504
What I am interested is hd800 vs hd800 s, which one is more true sound for violin? Seems hd800 is better based on your review?

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,276 of 6,504
  What I am interested is hd800 vs hd800 s, which one is more true sound for violin? Seems hd800 is better based on your review?

For true sound, it's the S. Especially for solo violin. The timbre and decay seem more natural to me, I have heard a lot of live violins so I feel reasonably comfortable in this. The HD800 seems a bit more fun, the air around the instrument and the seeming sense of hearing every last detail in sharp relief (probably due to a little more hotness in the treble response) is beguiling at times.  

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,277 of 6,504
Interested in modded hd800 vs hd800S

Thanks

I didn't like my HD800 modded. And I like the S. So you probably would want to hear from someone who likes his mod vs the S. @Sorrodje ?

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,278 of 6,504
  I didn't like my HD800 modded. And I like the S. So you probably would want to hear from someone who likes his mod vs the S. @Sorrodje ?

Didn't compare yet my HD800 modded and my HD800S

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2,279 of 6,504
  I have to say my extensive collection of electronically generated noise does sound quite good on the HD800S... it offers just enough bass to not take the fun out of electronic genres, does not kill it with piercing treble, makes it sound effortless, brings out many details easily lost with many other setups and offers a wide image... very nice. I'm quite happy with electronica not having an absolute reference (i.e. a real instrument one might feel compelled to compare to)... to me electronic music is native when played through a good setup, not like performed music that was recorded ans is reproduced.

Besides that advantage (I see it as such) I think the main point of a headphone is something very personal: does it make *my* music sound good? It doesn't help much if its able to reproduce a triangle life-like but fails miserably ad Deep House.

Electronica sounds great on the S. And it sounds great on the classic. In the end I give a slight nod to the S on bassier tracks. If one is treble sensitive they will like the S better. For me electronica is a place it is harder to decide, partly because we listen to electronica for its otherworliness and referencelessness. Both headphones are great for this genre IMHO. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,280 of 6,504

Electronica sounds great on the S. And it sounds great on the classic. In the end I give a slight nod to the S on bassier tracks. If one is treble sensitive they will like the S better. For me electronica is a place it is harder to decide, partly because we listen to electronica for its otherworliness and referencelessness. Both headphones are great for this genre IMHO. 

Of course for me it's one sided right now but electronic that I like, more downtempo style, groove based, the th900 drives the low end hard. Sub bass can get down right scary at times, and for me that's just fine. Makes me feel alive and next best to raving in front of a stack of speakers, glow sticks aside.
Plakat has nail hit with me on the 900 a few times a8 and all, so his review of electronic and the 800s was much appreciated.
I'm into a variety of genres, even big band ( recomend Jeff coffin newest ) so I don't have to be scared by unexpected sub bass always. Looking forward to a more sonically real sound, studio wise. I want to get close to that note, if I could get inside, I would. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back