Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 3, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #2,236 of 6,504

Those frequency ranges are normally given for either -3dB or -10dB vs. a reference point (which is often 1kHz): the end points are where the level drops to -3dB (or -10dB) when compared to this reference point. Which in case of the HD800S means that its sound pressure level at 10Hz is 3dB lower than the level at 1kHz (I suppose Sennheiser uses 1kHz as their reference point, I did not check their exact method though). Same for the -10dB range, which is a bit wider as the level does not drop to 0 at once.

Thank you, plakat, I appreciate the effort, and I think I kind of understood about 3/4 of that. But I have a splitting headache today and can barely think straight, so I'll hopefull see a bit clearer when I come back tomorrow. Thanks for now!

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,237 of 6,504
After about three years with my Hd-800 I don’t think that at Sennheiser they made the mistake to built an headphone with an exagerate curve in some regions…
Better I think they made an headphone for very close to perfection recordings and for very very good electronics; in few words the fault may have been to be too optimistic…
One thing is when you study a result "in absolute" and another when you must decide if it can work in real word (that is with the average of the recordings)
It’s possible that, after all these years, they have surrendered (in front of all the comments of many users) to the evidence of a worse situation and to the need for a gentler curve…

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,238 of 6,504
Good points lime. There are soooo many variables in the music recording industry from microphone selection down to individual taste on the mixing mastering end and all the related gear in between. As such, the music we buy and listen to is wildly variable in its sound quality.
But I gotta say my pair of HD800(#35,xxx)running balanced with a good source, good amp and great cable are just superb. But for some lesser quality recordings I reach for another headphone...usually.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #2,239 of 6,504
  It’s possible that, after all these years, they have surrendered (in front of all the comments of many users) to the evidence of a worse situation and to the need for a gentler curve…

While I still think the original HD800 had some problems (i.e. decisions that went against the taste of many, not just me) Sennheiser did want to make the HD800 sound like that -- otherwise they would not have kept the original in the portfolio, just adding the S for those with differing tastes. Like me.

I agree that part of that decision may have been too optimistic because its a very narrow path for recording->source->amp->headphone that sounds good (and no, I did not find any combination I liked, though I did not invest much time in searching). The S is much simpler in that regard, being a bit more forgiving about recording quality and source/amp.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #2,240 of 6,504
Been reading this thread for some time and I bit the bullet and purchased a pair. I have been trying them out for a couple of days and at first I was underwhelmed but they are slowly growing on me and the detail on some tracks make me go wow! I did read that they need a fair amount of hours on them to be at their best, do you think that this is true? I never owned the original HD800 so I can't compare the two versions.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,241 of 6,504
Been reading this thread for some time and I bit the bullet and purchased a pair. I have been trying them out for a couple of days and at first I was underwhelmed but they are slowly growing on me and the detail on some tracks make me go wow! I did read that they need a fair amount of hours on them to be at their best, do you think that this is true? I never owned the original HD800 so I can't compare the two versions.
About 75 hours should do it.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,244 of 6,504

My original HD800 headphones did show a peak in this region (a very noticeable one actually). If you swing over to the HD800 graph thread you'll see that there too. Comparing those plots to the new ones shows that this area has been "fixed" so to speak largely by the changes Sennheiser made. And after throwing some of my most "bright" recordings at the HD800S, I can confirm that I no longer need to avoid them with this headphone.

The original HD800 headphones made me select my music carefully for this reason...not so with the HD800S.

I think the real question will be is if you think the hd800s is worth taking the plunge on a Dsha-2 or Teton.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2,245 of 6,504
  Wow, near as I can tell mine looks identical to yours... 

But honestly I don't know what to make of these. Here is my HD800 one and you can see that it really looks almost the same except for the bass. It doesn't have the degree of 6k peak that many of the sennheiser supplied HD800 graphs seem to have  Yet the treble between my HD800 and my S is sonically different. More so the these graphs would suggest.

When Tyll measures them, it will look quite different, I am quite certain.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,246 of 6,504
  so when is your review coming for them

and can i sum up your thoughts abit and you correct me if there wrong or add to it

bass abit more extended and better
treble peak fixed 
treble more extended
compatible with way more music
sound stage unaffected

sound about right this sounds  perfect for me as i already liked the hd800 the best this will put it over the edge for me

So far, that's a lot of it. I shall start on my review in the next week or two. 
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #2,247 of 6,504

I think the real question will be is if you think the hd800s is worth taking the plunge on a Dsha-2 or Teton.

I don't think the HD800S needs any added warmth/colouration from a tube amp...it's pretty spot on. And when it comes to "other amps" I've heard plenty high end amps and none extract the last bit of details from a recording like the GS-X Mk2...the transparency, quickness and authority is likely the best I've heard the HD800/HD800S with. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,248 of 6,504

I don't think the HD800S needs any added warmth/colouration from a tube amp...it's pretty spot on. And when it comes to "other amps" I've heard plenty high end amps and none extract the last bit of details from a recording like the GS-X Mk2...the transparency, quickness and authority is likely the best I've heard the HD800/HD800S with. 

Good to know. The chord TT is not a colored amp. Acute, transparent, quick, nice authority. Hope the 800S compliments my 900 well using it.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,249 of 6,504
  Good to know. The chord TT is not a colored amp. Acute, transparent, quick, nice authority. Hope the 800S compliments my 900 well using it.

It (Hugo TT) really is fantastic with the HD800S!

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #2,250 of 6,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back