Sennheiser HD800 + ???
Jul 4, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 55
if you like the Crystalizer effect, especially at 100%, I suspect that euther the music you listen to happens to benefit from Crystalizer and was poorly mastered to begin with, or that you are affected with the smiley syndrom, ie. liking things with more bass and treble than there should be, especially since an X-fi doesn't sound bad when used without enhancement.

If it's the second case, no device that reproduce sound accurately will satisfy you, I would advise you to go to your local Hi-Fi dealer (one who sells external DACs or headamp)s with your computer, I hope it's a laptop and try out on the speaker set with crystalizer on and off. If they are not on a busy day, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 55
Good morning khaos, the computer i'm using my headphones on isn't a laptop sadly. I suspect that with crystalizer turned off, i could still like the sound if it were amplified enough. Because the crystalizer function makes it sound louder as well, maybe the sound sounding muffled when crystalizer is turned off is just a sign that my soundcard can't handle the hd800 without help (from either software or amps). I might buy a cheap amplifier like the monitor 02, Musical Fidelity / V-Can or Pro-Ject / Head Box II to see what kind of sound i get then. And then when i go to the meeting in berlin i could buy something more expensive if i hear something i like.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #18 of 55
The problem with buying a cheap amplifier is that it simply might not do that much. It might get rid of the clipping problems, but it's really not a taste of how a Meier Concerto or Burson HA160 sounds like. You already have serious headphones, there's no point going halfway. 

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 55
DoubleD2k10 - carefully review what Uncle Erik suggests. He's among the wisest of the wise when it comes to head-fi, and his advice is nearly always on the money. If you're not averse to tubes, that may be your answer.

I'm an SS person and can only speak from my experiences and biases. Tubes have a huge following, and not without reason.

You should be able to get a very good amp for your HD800 within your budget. If possible, wait until the Berlin meet before making a final decision.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 55
Feifan - Uncle Erik - Ypoknons

Thanks a lot for the information and suggestions, so what you guys are saying is to just buy a good amp in my price range (and not buy a cheaper amp for tryouts) lets say 500~800 euros, and wait with buying that untill i've had the chance to hear some of them during the Berlin meet. I will probably do that, although i would prefer to have an amp on my desk right now!
biggrin.gif

Maybe you guys can make some suggestions for a good setup around my budget? I'm worried that i will go to the Berlin meet and have only 1000~2000 euro units to listen to.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 55
The soundblasters are rated at 2vrms to the best of my knowledge(at least mine is and I'm pretty sure they are all the same). Of course there will be clipping if you have the crystalizer at 100% + volume maxed. You are asking it to put out more than it can due to the crystalizer boost. 2vrms should be about 108db on the hd800(rated 102db at 1vrms). I have no idea how you can even turn it up that loud with the headphone on your head.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #23 of 55
Of course i wouldn't listen to music for longer than 10 seconds with the volume maxed out, i just wanted to check if i heard any distortion.

But i've decided to buy a Sheer Audio HA-006+ amp and a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, this is within my budget and what i have read very good for the price. I guess i don't have the patience to wait for the September head-fi meeting in Berlin.

If for some reason i don't like the setup, i will go to Berlin in September and look for something new, in any case this new setup will most likely sound a lot better than having it connected to my x-fi.

Thanks alot for your help guys and i will post my experience with the set-up when i get it in and had some time to listen to it!

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 55

Quote:
meier concerto or spl auditor, maybe violectric v100/200, all of them are solid pieces of gear around 500-800 euros.

I can tell you right now if you have a Musiland 02US, the Violectric V100 will be a disappointment considering its cost. I owned both. I ended up selling the V100 and kept the Musiland.

Quote:
Of course i wouldn't listen to music for longer than 10 seconds with the volume maxed out, i just wanted to check if i heard any distortion.

But i've decided to buy a Sheer Audio HA-006+ amp and a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, this is within my budget and what i have read very good for the price. I guess i don't have the patience to wait for the September head-fi meeting in Berlin.

If for some reason i don't like the setup, i will go to Berlin in September and look for something new, in any case this new setup will most likely sound a lot better than having it connected to my x-fi.

Thanks alot for your help guys and i will post my experience with the set-up when i get it in and had some time to listen to it!

I owned the HA-006++ also, and while I liked it a bit better than the Violectric V100, once again it offered very little improvement over the Musiland, if any. It also ended up getting sold. The M^3 and GS-1 are the only amps I've found that were a clear step up from the Musiland, and even then, the difference wasn't earth-shattering. I have a friend who I lent my second 02US to. He switched over from the X-Fi Xtremegamer and now he refuses to give it back...he's paying me for it this weekend. Most of the time, if things sound too good to be true, they are...but the 02US really sets a new standard in terms of value. Just typing this kind of stuff makes me sound like a shill to my own self, but I feel there's no other way to convey my experience. Its strength lies in its DAC section, but its amp is pretty good too. Plugging the HD650 and HD800 directly into the headphone out provides a satisfying sound that is undoubtedly better than any soundcard I've owned.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #25 of 55

Quote:
But i've decided to buy a Sheer Audio HA-006+ amp and a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, this is within my budget and what i have read very good for the price.

These are two really solid choices. I haven't had firsthand experience with them, but all I've read indicate that you probably won't have any regrets for now and for a very long time to come. They look good, too.

Many are finding that you don't have to break the bank to get a lot out of the HD800.

Looking forward to your posts on their arrival and your first impressions.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #26 of 55
Thanks feifan :) And yeah i'm really excited for their arrival! The Sheer Audio HA-006 will depart from Taiwan tomorrow (bought it directly from their website).I will place an order for the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic tomorrow at a local store in my city which will then arrive 2 days later.

Once i have both of them on my desk and hooked it up i will post my first impressions and some pics!
atsmile.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #28 of 55

Quote:
I've got the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic on my desk now, now i have to wait for the amp to come flying in from Taiwan. Hopefully customs won't snatch it.
eek.gif

Here, they wouldn't snatch it, but they'd snatch your wallet!! 
basshead.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #29 of 55
Your HA-006 shouldn't take too long. I've been surprised at the speed of delivery from China, HK, Taiwan. There's nothing worse than receiving half a setup and waiting for the rest to arrive. I remember receiving the main unit of my amp a few days before the power unit. The days waiting to complete the set so I could light her up were agonizing.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 55
It took about 5 days for my HA-006++ to get here (Canada).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back