Sennheiser HD800 vs STAX SR-007II
Jul 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #76 of 122
Just wanted to point out that there should be some sonic difference between the standard Zana and the ZDT. The ZDT is transformer coupled and transformers do not sound like an OTL. I haven't heard the ZDT, but would love to. I do like the HD-800 quite a lot with the transformer-coupled Si2A3.

I just paid for an Omega II today - so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #77 of 122
Eric what amp are you going to pair it with? Did you get the combo on audiogon? If you're still going to the mini meet on Saturday, you can test out the O2 on the Stax amps I'll be bringing: 717, T1, T1S, SRM1mkII. We just need a SRD7 Pro to show up
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #80 of 122
They are very different headphones.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #81 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True.

When I had the O2, I choose the keep the He 1.2b over it, even though the O2 seemed IMO technically superior. The HD 800 is a different beast.

I've since sold my KGSS, so it probably wasn't fair then (I've read that the O2 requires a lot of power and silver). If it wasn't fair then, it most definitely wouldn't be fair now, as I do not have the O2 or the KGSS anymore.

Getting back to the HD 800; it's got a lot of positives in a few departments that were annoying for the O2. 1. No rotating ear cups (+/- depending on how you look at it). 2. Sensitive to amp (HD 800 is sensitive too, but the O2 demands more $$$). 3. Head band (they will slide right off if you are not perfectly still). 4. The O2 give you feedback/fart if you are not perfectly still. 5. They did not do rock well (the HD 800 as okay so far in that department). 6. The O2 require a bad @$$ amp, which you are limited to very few (the HD 800 sounds okay out of my DA10 DAC).

The list can go on and on, but I have to get to work...

In summary : neither of the above headphones/earspeakers are bad, if you can get around their so called weaknesses.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #82 of 122
HD800 on maxed Woo WA6 PDPSU and Sophia 274B rectifier - more up front and forward, mids a little more rich and vibrant, brighter, but with a little more bass impact. Sound best turned up louder.

SR-007 (O2 Mk1) on maxed Woo GES with early 60's GE "Wurlitzer" 12AX7 - more laid back and deeper soundstage, mids a little more recessed, more mellow and smooth, a little less bass impact and extension. Sound best at low to medium volume levels.

Both are detailed and fast with good natural timbre and tone.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #83 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD800 on maxed Woo WA6 PDPSU and Sophia 274B rectifier - more up front and forward, mids a little more rich and vibrant, brighter, but with a little more bass impact. Sound best turned up louder.

SR-007 (O2 Mk1) on maxed Woo GES with early 60's GE "Wurlitzer" 12AX7 - more laid back and deeper soundstage, mids a little more recessed, more mellow and smooth, a little less bass impact and extension. Sound best at low to medium volume levels.

At last we have it! The comparison!
biggrin.gif

A little short but very comprehensive. I like it.
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #84 of 122
Quote:

HD800 ...mids a little more rich and vibrant, ...

SR-007 (O2 Mk1) ... mids a little more recessed, more mellow and smooth,..

From your description, can I assume that the 800 is better at reproducing microdynamics should it be present in the source? or rather, the O2 smooth over fine details?

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #85 of 122
I've compared the HD800 (single-ended) with the Stax O2/007tA and 727A - I think a lot of it depends on which amp you choose for the HD800 because they're pretty picky. It does everything almost perfectly - tight/deep bass, warm midrange, revealing, and good soundstage, etc....but I didn't really find it musically involving (personal preference, of course: it sounds closer to the K701s than the 650s). Now the HD800/Luxman P1 combo sounded pretty decent, but I think you need a really good balanced amp to rival the Stax O2/727A combo.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #86 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've compared the HD800 (single-ended) with the Stax O2/007tA and 727A - I think a lot of it depends on which amp you choose for the HD800 because they're pretty picky. It does everything almost perfectly - tight/deep bass, warm midrange, revealing, and good soundstage, etc....but I didn't really find it musically involving (personal preference, of course: it sounds closer to the K701s than the 650s). Now the HD800/Luxman P1 combo sounded pretty decent, but I think you need a really good balanced amp to rival the Stax O2/727A combo.

These are the first good words (indirect indeed) for 727A I've ever seen.
o2smile.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #87 of 122
Well, keep in mind that I haven't heard the DIY Stax offerings. I would only assume amps like the KGSS and KGBH will turn the O2s into another beast. But yeah, I don't think the HD800 is a good value given how much trouble it will take to find a suitable (and probably expensive) amp for matching. It is certainly offers a "high end" sound though. It's possible for me to consider it if I own the ZD/beta22/GS-X. Oh, and a better source as well.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #88 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your description, can I assume that the 800 is better at reproducing microdynamics should it be present in the source? or rather, the O2 smooth over fine details?

Not sure about the micro-dynamics. But the O2 Mk1 definitely do not smooth over fine details - they are detailed enough that I can listen at low to medium levels and hear everything.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #89 of 122
Quote:

Not sure about the micro-dynamics. But the O2 Mk1 definitely do not smooth over fine details - they are detailed enough that I can listen at low to medium levels and hear everything.

Agreed. My personal tastes tell me that O2 I > HD800 > O2 II, regarding the overall impression, but the bass quality alone as well. So I am very curious of comparing the O2 MkI to the Grado PS1000 some day as these headphones seem to be the ultimate choice of current production dynamics and electrostatics respectively.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #90 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed.

I've compared these two phones using RudiStor amps for each of them I thought the character of the amps are quite similar, the RPX300 and Egmont Classic.

I love the HD800 for its neutral, flat midrange and dynamic contrast, the bass quality is also great. The O2 for its relaxing sound and detailed, for my taste( easy listening, pop, jazz and classical) it's more involved.

They has theirs advantage over each other depend on your taste and genre of music you like, I preferred to have them both.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back