Sennheiser HD800 vs STAX SR-007II
Jun 7, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #31 of 122
Isn't it that music is a matter of taste and each has their own preferences? I own both electrostatics and dynamics. I personally prefer the presentation of the electrostatics but will also accept that many will prefer the presentation of the dynamics.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #32 of 122
i actually really liked the o2mk1 that i heard during canjam. to me, it just sounded a lot more natural compared to the hd800 ( i did not want to leave madmikey's setup or the summit-fi room during canjam). the mid and highs to me just sound sweet. i cant explain it, it just sounds so sweet, so perfect. the hd800 on the other hand, sounded plastic to me (don't flame me, everyone has their own taste). the mid and high did not sound natural to me at all. btw, the sound of akg k70x does not sound plastic at all to me (they have this studio monitor-ish sound to it, hard to explain). as for the bass on the two, i dont really remember but if anything they are both adequate and really good that i did not pay attention to them. i feel it might be too early for a lot of comments on the hd800, as i believe they are not burn-in yet?

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #33 of 122
The O2s are stats with a distinct sound signature and very forgiving characteristics which make them smooth and very easy to listen to for all kinds of material. However they are hardly what I would call natural sounding or accurate in the sense of sounding "real". Owned an O2 system for over two years. Got tired of the glossing over and smoothing out that is electrostats.

The 800's have much more technical abilities than the O2s. Whether you like their sound signature is another question. They are hardly perfect, but they have the ability produce some of the widest range of gredation and spectrum of sound that I have not experienced in any other headphone system and only in the highest end speaker system. Sometimes though this ability means they produce sound that is unforgiving.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #34 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not goofy. Seems to me anybody dare to say anything bad about O2 are condamed as "political incorrectniess". I owned O2 for a while, didn't like it, so in my opinion it is a league below other super flagship cans.

Don't mean to step on your toes, just my honest opinion. You can take it or leave it.

Your assumptions are wrong - I don't really like the O2s. I enjoy their resolve but find them boring and prefer the K-1000, but I don't consider them a league below anything outside of the HE-90. Their technical ability is rock solid.

I like the dynamic presentation better, and find stats to have an artificialness to them that is simply my personal taste and how I feel which is why I prefer the K-1000 to the HE-90, but the HE-90 is technically above all others in many IMO.

Take it or leave it?... I'll leave it.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #35 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but we all can predict what you will have to say about the HD800 vs O2 Mk1...
tongue.gif

Don't be too hasty, I always liked the Hd600/HE60 so if the HD800 is more along those lines then I'll probably like them. It also appears I chose wisely the amp to test them with (Gilmore Lite w/DPS) since they are a pig to drive and most of the "high end" amps aren't a good fit.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #37 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To everyone else, don't pick on someone for giving an honest opinion. It might be against the consensus, but it is an honest opinion. Keep that in mind the next time you disagree with popular opinion.

I agree.

Personally I wasn't enthused with the Omega 2 on the few occasions I auditioned it (also in my system) – far from that. That doesn't mean it's a bad headphone, just not for my ears.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be too hasty, I always liked the Hd600/HE60 so if the HD800 is more along those lines then I'll probably like them. It also appears I chose wisely the amp to test them with (Gilmore Lite w/DPS) since they are a pig to drive and most of the "high end" amps aren't a good fit.

HD800 is almost a perfect mix/mashup of the HD600/HE60 without the flaws of either. How's that?

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #43 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually really liked the o2mk1 that i heard during canjam. to me, it just sounded a lot more natural compared to the hd800 ( i did not want to leave madmikey's setup or the summit-fi room during canjam). the mid and highs to me just sound sweet. i cant explain it, it just sounds so sweet, so perfect. the hd800 on the other hand, sounded plastic to me (don't flame me, everyone has their own taste). the mid and high did not sound natural to me at all. btw, the sound of akg k70x does not sound plastic at all to me (they have this studio monitor-ish sound to it, hard to explain). as for the bass on the two, i dont really remember but if anything they are both adequate and really good that i did not pay attention to them. i feel it might be too early for a lot of comments on the hd800, as i believe they are not burn-in yet?

Cheers j2kei

I listened to the HD800 on my system (Marantz -> WA5 -> 800's) along with the L3000's. And also my Marantz -> ES-1 -> O2's setup.

The 800's do sound nice, but they failed for me in one important aspect. Impact. When there is an orchestra hit or a drum hit. The h800 sounded good (made the right sound), but did not have the impact that the L3000's or the O2's have for the same passage. Even when turned up past the others. Once I realized this. I put the Hd800's aside and didn't have to worry about them anymore. Maybe it is the ring driver... I don't know.

Cheers,

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #44 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers j2kei

I listened to the HD800 on my system (Marantz -> WA5 -> 800's) along with the L3000's. And also my Marantz -> ES-1 -> O2's setup.

The 800's do sound nice, but they failed for me in one important aspect. Impact. When there is an orchestra hit or a drum hit. The h800 sounded good (made the right sound), but did not have the impact that the L3000's or the O2's have for the same passage. Even when turned up past the others. Once I realized this. I put the Hd800's aside and didn't have to worry about them anymore. Maybe it is the ring driver... I don't know.

Cheers,

And in my case, the HD800/WA6 have more impact than the O2/GES.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #45 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once I realized this. I put the Hd800's aside and didn't have to worry about them anymore. Maybe it is the ring driver... I don't know.

Cheers,

Bass and impact issues have been mentioned too many times for it not to be a real issue. I'm sure there will be many posts defending the impact and bass since you've mentioned it, but that usually reinforces the reality of the issue more for me. I don't think I'll own the HD800, but I definitely will want to hear it none the less.

Now JH13... that's what really peaks my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back