Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
May 24, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #526 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am exited about HD 800, the ergonomics! and sound quality. Just received Editon 9 recently and they are real HP ( headpain ) unbearable!

Ultrasone headphone bands are extremely tight until you stretch it manually, Ultrasone reps demonstrate it too so it's not bad, here's some instructions to perform the stretching http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/the...ml#post2821957

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wanting to do research on this Leona polymer to see if the claims made are at all true. I cannot seem to find any record of their being a Leona polymer. I am not claiming that you are lying, just that I cannot seem to find any information about it. Perhaps someone here can provide a link?

Leona 90G60 (Dry) - Asahi Kasei - Polyamide 66 (Glass Fiber Reinforcement, 60%) Plastic

I haven't read the entire thread and I can't because it's just too silly, but what color would you want the HD800 to be if not silver? Can you imagine if it was all black (ew)? Ultrasone's pro headphones were all a blue that made people certain it was plastic until the black pro 900 which does look okay, but only because it contrasts good with the giant silver logo on it (which the HD800 doesn't have). What color do you think the HD800 should be?

May 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #527 of 902
Yeah, at the end of the day, all that matters is how it sounds. I doubt I will ever own a pair, cause as a college student, by the time I get that much money lying around, something better will have likely come along. I personally am not a fan of the design, but if I had the money, I would sure as heck buy one. After successfully finding some info on leona polymer, I am curious to know if they tried carbon fiber in their design and if so, why they would choose not to use it? It also has the strength without having the properties of resonating.

May 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #528 of 902
Quote:

...After successfully finding some info on Leona polymer, I am curious to know if they tried carbon fiber in their design and if so, why they would choose not to use it. It also has the strength without having the properties of resonating.

«Glass Fiber Reinforcement, 60% Filler by Weight» – that's the description of Leona plastic. Glass-fiber reinforced polymers are also often used for speaker membranes, even more often than carbon fibers, as they unite stiffness and good inner damping. I've used them myself for my homegrown driver projects. Carbon fiber parts in the form used for formula 1 cars need a lot of handwork. This application is more appropriate for flat parts and tube shapes anyway and less suitable for complex forms such as a filigree headphone earpiece.

May 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #529 of 902
Quote:

I am wanting to do research on this Leona polymer to see if the claims made are at all true. I cannot seem to find any record of their being a Leona polymer. I am not claiming that you are lying, just that I cannot seem to find any information about it. Perhaps someone here can provide a link?

Here you go, some 100 secs of googling to find the manufacturer's website: LEONA

May 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #530 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go, some 100 secs of googling to find the manufacturer's website: LEONA

yeah, I found that site already. It doesn't have much info. Leona is polymide 66 I found out, and you get more info if you look up polymide 66. Polymide 66 is basically Nylon. And if you notice, leona does not necessarily have glass fillers; just some of them do.

May 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #531 of 902
The plastic/glass epoxy on model engine mounts is incredibly strong. Not sure of acoustical properties, but it doesn't flex. Very hard material.

Engine_Mount.jpg

May 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #532 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should learn to read and search. Willett already explained the Leona is as hard as Titanium but does not transmit any vibrations like Titanium does. Sounds to me Sennheiser has done their research. What research have you done to be able to argue with Sennheiser's choice in materials?

I admit, personally I think their design is pretty tacky and gawdy. I much prefer the design of my HD650, wish they made something a little more conservative and basic. Simplicity is awesome.

Curious are you really serious about considering buying the HD800?

From your sig you do not seem the type of person unless you have recently saved a lot?

I mean c'mon, your sig lists the Zero, the cheapest DAC/Amp combo available.

I know you're no science wizard, but hardness does not equal strength or durability. Maybe you should've read your science books when you were a lad.

I wouldn't consider myself rich, but I make enough money. I bought my 650 and WA6 SE out of a single (2 week) paycheck, and still had enough for my car payment ($360), living expenses, and $600 for the IRS at tax time. I would wager that I do better than most, and I'm still in my 20's. What kind of a ****** comes on here and attacks people who supposedly make less than themselves? I'm sure you're VERY well off. There are a lot of rich idiots out there. Well I guess I'd better hurry up and by a $1000 dac so you won't make fun of me.

If you had half a brain you might think twice about what a sales rep tells you. They are, afterall, TRYING TO SELL THEIR PRODUCT.

Why would someone with a COMPASS bang-for-the-buck amp/dac combo be throwing stones? Do you consider that thing high-end?

May 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #533 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're no science wizard, but hardness does not equal strength or durability. Maybe you should've read your science books when you were a lad.

I wouldn't consider myself rich, but I make enough money. I bought my 650 and WA6 SE out of a single (2 week) paycheck, and still had enough for my car payment ($360), living expenses, and $600 for the IRS at tax time. I would wager that I do better than most, and I'm still in my 20's. What kind of a ****** comes on here and attacks people who supposedly make less than themselves? I'm sure you're VERY well off. There are a lot of rich idiots out there. Well I guess I'd better hurry up and by a $1000 dac so you won't make fun of me.

If you had half a brain you might think twice about what a sales rep tells you. They are, afterall, TRYING TO SELL THEIR PRODUCT.

Why would someone with a COMPASS bang-for-the-buck amp/dac combo be throwing stones? Do you consider that thing high-end?

So now you're boasting and insulting people. That does not reflect well on you. It is also impolite.

By the way that you're attacking the person rather than the poster, it seems as though you're happy with John Willis's answer to the question you posed, which he has posted before.

May 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #534 of 902
Just looking at some pictures, the HD800 is MASSIVE! And I hope on their next model, they try to make it look a little more appealing and ergonomic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

WOW... instead of reading what I posted you decided to be the ****** yourself. I was just noting, it didn't seem to make much sense to me why you are making such a big deal over Leona vs some fancy metal from a person who bought the Zero. That just doesn't seem like the person who would be purchasing the HD800. And why you felt the need to explain your financial situation on a public forum is beyond me. It's a little weird. Unlike you I won't be doing that, and yeah, I never claimed that my Compass was high end or VERY well off. In fact I posted that I had no intentions of buying the HD800 as my money is tied elsewhere and also why I won't be railing against Sennheiser for their choices in materials.

May 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #535 of 902
Quote:

Just looking at some pictures, the HD800 is MASSIVE! And I hope on their next model, they try to make it look a little more appealing and ergonomic.

Well, apparently they are extremely ergonomic, just read the reports about their outstanding comfort. Now, their looks is a different pair of shoes...

May 28, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #536 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, apparently they are extremely ergonomic, just read the reports about their outstanding comfort. Now, their looks is a different pair of shoes...

I wasn't questioning their comfort at all. It just looks a bit too edgy too me, needs a bit more curves and refinement. Also reduce the size a bit.

May 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #537 of 902
Quote:

I wasn't questioning their comfort at all. It just looks a bit too edgy too me, needs a bit more curves and refinement. Also reduce the size a bit.

Why worry about that when you have no intentions of buying it?

May 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #538 of 902
Quote:

Also reduce the size a bit.

If you made them smaller they wouldn't sound so good - the driver is large and set at an angle so the wavefront reaches your ears as if it was coming from loudspeakers - you cannot do this properly and make them smaller.

The size is dictated by the sound quality.

May 29, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #539 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The size is dictated by the sound quality.

Afraid it's not as black and white as you would have us believe.
Detail is the opposite. Your best IEM's will resolve detail that not even the best full size headphone or speaker setup will. In fact, the reverse could be said for detail, the closer to the ear drum (and therefor smaller), the better.

Sound quality includes detail, so I will say that the size is not dictated by sound quality. The size is simply the size the engineers decided to make.

May 29, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #540 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The plastic/glass epoxy on model engine mounts is incredibly strong. Not sure of acoustical properties, but it doesn't flex. Very hard material.

Engine_Mount.jpg

For some reason, this plastic hybrid material that is described above seems like a richer material than the Leona plastic that went into the HD800. Of course, before anyone rakes me over the coals here, I have to add that I have not seen Leona or this other hybrid material in person. What I have to say are just my initial impressions. I have though seen plastics, like the picture above, used on other things and it could make an interesting material for a headphone. I have a feeling too that those engine mounts were not as cheap to mold as Leona plastic. It also just doesn't feel cheap and I bet it has a nice substantial heft to it also. I think that bakelite is also a rich feeling material. Most importantly, the above plastic is not spray painted silver to simulate metal which adds to the cheesiness factor of the HD800. Since the drivers in the HD800 are "suspended" I still don't see why Sennheiser couldn't make a headphone as rich looking as the new Ultrasone Edition 8. People may not like the looks of the Edition 8 either but it is hard to argue that it looks cheap or it is poorly constructed. Ultrasone spared no expense on the materials. We will see if the driver technology in the Edition 8 is up to par real soon but I am sure that the Edition 8 controls unwanted resonances quite well to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back