Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
May 24, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #511 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What utter rubbish!

Headphones should be inert to enable the diaphragm to freely move and reproduce accurately the soundwaves being fed to it. The materials should not alter the sound.

In total contrast, a musical instrument has to resonate, the materials are chosen *because* they resonate as they have to vibrate in sympathy with the air / strings to produce the sound.

Wow I can't believe a Senn rep is refuting the claim that the HD800 isn't constructed out of the best materials possible! I realize that the musical instrument analogy is bunk, but let's face the fact that you're saving money by using plastic.

May 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #512 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I can't believe a Senn rep is refuting the claim that the HD800 isn't constructed out of the best materials possible! I realize that the musical instrument analogy is bunk, but let's face the fact that you're saving money by using plastic.

The HD *is* made from the best materials possible - Leona is an inert hi-tech polymer and is better than metal. It was only chosen, as I understand, because titanium was not good enough - they tried that first.

And the cost difference at this level is so minimal as to be meaningless.

May 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #513 of 902
Quote:

The HD *is* made from the best materials possible - Leona is an inert hi-tech polymer and is better than metal. It was only chosen, as I understand, because titanium was not good enough - they tried that first.

And the cost difference at this level is so minimal as to be meaningless.

elaboration would be appreciated.

May 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #514 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn just used it to lower the cost.

Quote:

but let's face the fact that you're saving money by using plastic.

You are making this a statement of fact since you didn't preceed it with "I think", or "in my opinion".

Do you know this as a fact?

May 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #515 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are making this a statement of fact since you didn't preceed it with "I think", or "in my opinion".

Do you know this as a fact?

nice edit, I'm still waiting for the elaboration.

May 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #516 of 902
Quote:

elaboration would be appreciated.

But he's already elaborated, multiple times. You need to ask a specific question to add to the discussion.

May 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #517 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But he's already elaborated, multiple times. You need to ask a specific question to add to the discussion.

I think it's obvious that my question is about the "fact" that the PLASTIC used in the construction of the HD800 is better than any other material (metal, wood, etc) that could've been used. All he has stated in previous posts is that it is "better". I think if I'm going to spend $1400 on a piece of plastic I need some explanation on the materials used. Thanks.

May 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #518 of 902
Someone who is partial to donning a pair of cans on their head (possibly in public) is seriously bemoaning the absence of design aesthetics? How quixotic! Now if you will excuse me, I must resume my seated position upon my impossibly uncomfortable Marcel Breuer Lattice Chair, while enduring Phillip Glass' incomparable Koyaanisqatsi, via my bloated Bose Triports with silver plastic finish.

May 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #519 of 902
Quote:

I think it's obvious that my question is about the "fact" that the PLASTIC used in the construction of the HD800 is better than any other material (metal, wood, etc) that could've been used. All he has stated in previous posts is that it is "better". I think if I'm going to spend $1400 on a piece of plastic I need some explanation on the materials used. Thanks.

Maybe you should learn to read and search. Willett already explained the Leona is as hard as Titanium but does not transmit any vibrations like Titanium does. Sounds to me Sennheiser has done their research. What research have you done to be able to argue with Sennheiser's choice in materials?

I admit, personally I think their design is pretty tacky and gawdy. I much prefer the design of my HD650, wish they made something a little more conservative and basic. Simplicity is awesome.

Curious are you really serious about considering buying the HD800?

From your sig you do not seem the type of person unless you have recently saved a lot?

I mean c'mon, your sig lists the Zero, the cheapest DAC/Amp combo available.

May 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #520 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From your sig you do not seem the type of person unless you have recently saved a lot?

Wow...low blow. I haven't commented in this thread (because I'd never consider purchasing these, I'd rather get some Stax for that price)

So to answer you....Type of person hmm?..You mean like...a sucker?? I think he has a good choice of equipment...perfectly cost/benefit thought out. From your list of equipment you don't exactly come across as Bill Gates either.

May 24, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #521 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...low blow. I haven't commented in this thread (because I'd never consider purchasing these, I'd rather get some Stax for that price)

So to answer you....Type of person hmm?..You mean like...a sucker?? I think he has a good choice of equipment...perfectly cost/benefit thought out. From your list of equipment you don't exactly come across as Bill Gates either.

You are right. I have no pre-ordered the HD800. So I am not all that worried about the appearance of the HD800 right now, and won't have to worry for a few years. Grad school is more important right now.

And that was my point, why rail and worry about something if it's not in your budget anyways?

Granted I like to post and poke fun at Grado, but again, it's for fun. Anyone who thinks I'm serious about it, needs to get a life to find something else to worry about.

May 24, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #523 of 902
Quote:

OK - although this is posted after drinking a bottle or two of good French vino.....

Wood is a good natural material - but it was a living material and no two pieces are the same. Therefore no consistency.

Metal can ring and resonate - therefore not good as it can produce unwanted harmonics.

A polymer can be made to be hard and stiff and not resonate - the problem with the word "plastic" is that some people immediately think "cheap" - but aerospace grade polymers can be anything but.....

The Leona polymer (plastic) is about as hard as titanium but doed not resonate - hence its choice.

May 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #524 of 902
I am wanting to do research on this Leona polymer to see if the claims made are at all true. I cannot seem to find any record of their being a Leona polymer. I am not claiming that you are lying, just that I cannot seem to find any information about it. Perhaps someone here can provide a link?

May 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #525 of 902
Quote:

OK - although this is posted after drinking a bottle or two of good French vino.....

Wood is a good natural material - but it was a living material and no two pieces are the same. Therefore no consistency.

Metal can ring and resonate - therefore not good as it can produce unwanted harmonics.

A polymer can be made to be hard and stiff and not resonate - the problem with the word "plastic" is that some people immediately think "cheap" - but aerospace grade polymers can be anything but.....

The Leona polymer (plastic) is about as hard as titanium but doed not resonate - hence its choice.

Thanks John! That explanation is absolutely acceptable as a future HD800 owner. It makes perfect sense to me and I couldn't care less what materials are used. The bottom line is how they will sound when they arrive, PERIOD. And of course reasonable durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back