Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #7,548 of 8,756
Any idea why the replacement pads and headband pads are perpetually OOS ?

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #7,549 of 8,756
Those sued ZMF pads look intriguing because they're pretty close to stock. I use oratory1990 EQ, so the difference shouldn't be too much. I would still love to have a specific EQ profile based on those measurements.

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #7,550 of 8,756
Hello, I picked up some HD800s’s this weekend after many years of curiosity and so far I’m definitely impressed. That sound stage is something.

But of course in this hobby you always wonder if a step up in something else might be worth it. Right now what I do is I send the zone 2 of my receiver to a Schiit Valhalla 2 amp so I can listen to all sources easily. It works fine as is but I’m wondering if some other tangible upgrade would be worth it?

Something else I’ve had my eyes on for a while is the McIntosh MHA200 amp, how well would this match as opposed to the Valhalla 2? Any other recommendations? Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #7,551 of 8,756
Hello, I picked up some HD800s’s this weekend after many years of curiosity and so far I’m definitely impressed. That sound stage is something.

But of course in this hobby you always wonder if a step up in something else might be worth it. Right now what I do is I send the zone 2 of my receiver to a Schiit Valhalla 2 amp so I can listen to all sources easily. It works fine as is but I’m wondering if some other tangible upgrade would be worth it?

Something else I’ve had my eyes on for a while is the McIntosh MHA200 amp, how well would this match as opposed to the Valhalla 2? Any other recommendations? Thank you.
I can’t speak to the MHA200 specifically, but I want to say that the HD800S to my ears scale just about as well as any headphone I’ve heard. I’ve been fortunate to have them through many stages of my head-if journey, and they seem to make a bigger leap with every upgrade than other ‘phones in my collection.

I will say that I’ve heard the 800s on two Schiit amps (Mjolinir and Ragnarok) and if the 800s are your only phone it may be worth it to move off that pairing.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #7,552 of 8,756
For any of you that have both the 660s and 800s, a question. How much of an improvement do you get between the two. I recently picked up the HD-660s on sale, I think they're great! When the 800's go on sale, I'm going to check it out, and was wondering what to expect...
Thx....
I have both...prefer the 800S by far for its better sound stage and accuracy. I really haven't used my 660s for a long time, and will probably sell.

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #7,553 of 8,756

The Denafrips Artemis head amp is tuned for the HD800S.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #7,555 of 8,756
Thanks, actually another (cheaper) product I’ve been looking at for a while is the RME ADI-2. That would obviously be both a DAC and headphone amp combined. Any thoughts on this one?
I use the ADI 2 DAC with my HD800s on a daily basis. It's a very good pairing with more than enough power and the EQ is great to add some bass and smooth some peaks.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #7,556 of 8,756
I use the ADI 2 DAC with my HD800s on a daily basis. It's a very good pairing with more than enough power and the EQ is great to add some bass and smooth some peaks.

Thanks, I’m curious do you have the Pro version? The only thing I‘m looking at on this one is that it would seem I’d need the Pro version to be able to use it with a turntable as that one has analog inputs.

Currently I run the Zone 2 out on my receiver to the input of the Schiit Valhalla and while that works, I’m assuming that would be redundant/inefficient with something like the ADI since it’s a DAC itself, correct? I feel like I’d need an analog splitter in that case to listen to it on both speakers/headphones when wanted.

Or is this potentially a scenario where the DAC in my receiver (Denon 3500H) is sufficient and I should just look at an upgraded headphone amp like the McIntosh?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #7,557 of 8,756
Thanks, actually another (cheaper) product I’ve been looking at for a while is the RME ADI-2. That would obviously be both a DAC and headphone amp combined. Any thoughts on this one?
That's my daily amp...now I combine it w/ the Violectric, so I'm just using the DAC (w/ equalizer) but I am quite pleased (With both)

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #7,558 of 8,756
Thanks, I’m curious do you have the Pro version? The only thing I‘m looking at on this one is that it would seem I’d need the Pro version to be able to use it with a turntable as that one has analog inputs.

Currently I run the Zone 2 out on my receiver to the input of the Schiit Valhalla and while that works, I’m assuming that would be redundant/inefficient with something like the ADI since it’s a DAC itself, correct? I feel like I’d need an analog splitter in that case to listen to it on both speakers/headphones when wanted.

Or is this potentially a scenario where the DAC in my receiver (Denon 3500H) is sufficient and I should just look at an upgraded headphone amp like the McIntosh?
I have the regular version, not the pro. That's right, you'll need the pro to if you want analog inputs.
Then ADI 2 & Pro, offer a lot of features, I don't think you'll need too many stuff besides it, maybe a tube or hybrid amp if you like that sound.

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #7,559 of 8,756
I have the regular version, not the pro. That's right, you'll need the pro to if you want analog inputs.
Then ADI 2 & Pro, offer a lot of features, I don't think you'll need too many stuff besides it, maybe a tube or hybrid amp if you like that sound.

Thanks, yeah man it’s like obviously I feel like I “should” get the pro version if I’m going to spend this money so I can utilize the headphone amp for all my sources, I just wish it wasn’t an extra like $700 ONLY to gain an rca input lol.

I guess I could in theory use an rca to coax adapter for my turntable into the ADI, but that I guess to an extent defeats the “purpose” of a turntable by converting it to digital and then back to analog.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #7,560 of 8,756

Congrats on the new headphones! I've been using a Rogue RH-5 tube hybrid amp to drive the HD800S. I think it's a really satisfying combo that throws a huge, detailed 3d soundstage with great, articulate bass. I haven't heard either amp above, but the the MHA200 sounds interesting and I would guess would be warmer and to some degree, more overtly tube-like than the RH-5. All to taste of course, but I think most people are drawn to the potential for the HD800S to sound extended, open, and resolved. Ultimate bass extension can suffer in tube amps... it isn't always an issue, but if it is an issue it'll definitely impact the size and weight of the HD800S presentation. I noticed a What HiFi review mentioned that the MHA200 "underplays rhythmic drive a little"... that to me, sounds a little bit counter to what the HD800S is capable of, so I would just want to try before buying (or be able to easily return etc)

In terms of the RH-5, it definitely exhibits a middle of the road solid state/tube quality. It's relatively fast and extended but adds some tube holography and tonal density. It provides a generous dose of bass extension and resolution which helps the HD800S reveal the foundational space in a recording. This gives the HD800S a sense of ease and openness, like the effect a very well integrated subwoofer might have in a speaker system. Even with this, I think the HD800S also works best with a slightly warm-ish DAC in the chain (in my case, an Yggy A2). With this kind of setup, the HD800S sounds very resolving while instrumental timbre and color still sound good. Any rate, I'm a musician and love to hear everything on the recording yet I'm also fairly sensitive to instrumental timbre and texture... I think the HD800S can be a good foundation for meeting this balance, but the electronics definitely play a big part. Hope it helps and enjoy the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back