Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 13, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #7,561 of 8,768
Thanks, yeah man it’s like obviously I feel like I “should” get the pro version if I’m going to spend this money so I can utilize the headphone amp for all my sources, I just wish it wasn’t an extra like $700 ONLY to gain an rca input lol.

I guess I could in theory use an rca to coax adapter for my turntable into the ADI, but that I guess to an extent defeats the “purpose” of a turntable by converting it to digital and then back to analog.
Another alternative would be to keep your Valhalla and consider getting a dedicated DAC which would offer better SQ than the one built in your receiver. Other components in your chain; such as speakers would also benefit.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #7,562 of 8,768
in 2010 when i started my headfi journey, i tested the hd800 and hated it. Settled for a audeze lcd2 and started a whole round of headphones purchased and demoed including susvara, lcd 5, lcd-4, lcd-x/xc, zmf vo/vc, atrium, he1000v2, arya SE, ananda, stax sr-009 (non S) and more...
Now im back to getting a hd800s and i think im done finding my ultimate headphone. Now its my favorite headphone of all (after some eq which is not harman target eq)

Nov 14, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #7,563 of 8,768
I tried hp, none measured up, I decided to do nothing, stick with 800S. Only abyss 1266 complete is left but at 10 g cad, the sticker shock keeps me from trying.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #7,564 of 8,768
ADI is coming out with a newer DAC/AMP with more power. Don't know when it will be released.

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #7,568 of 8,768
How would you rate it in comparison with the stock pads?

Not to speak for sp33ls, but I've been using them for a few years now, actually on my second pair as the outer ring, not the part touching the ear which is pleather and prone to being roughed up by whisker rash, should mention the previous 2 pairs of stock pads are also prone to this, lost their shape and just eventually disintegrated. :triportsad:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ost-for-summary.795365/page-500#post-17092010
Overall I wouldn't say there is a big change in sound reproduction, although due to their less porous nature, there a slight and much appreciated increase in base.... comfort wise I actually prefer them.
Also no real way to know if they're actually the softer lambskin or sheepskin.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #7,569 of 8,768
I am just speechless, how HD800S presents music, vocals, instruments, stage nothing missing nothing too much,20221102_200145.jpg what a piece of art.

Have Xduuo TA 26 coming, currently there is discount on Shenzenaudio/Amazon uk, maybe not up to the lvl what headphone can do, but will surely inject good amount of tubiness to it.
Just relistened to this masterpeice through the HD800S and I gotta thank you for reminding me!

:beerchug:

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #7,571 of 8,768
Yeah, it is a piece of art, I got it on M17->Xduuo Ta26 chain and rolled a preamp tube to Sylvania Chrome dome, pure joy to listen to.
I fell in love with all the online reviews of the HiFiMan Susvara. So I bought a high-powered amp to drive them (Ifi Ican Signature) and Susvara's. Both used, but recently purchased as new. Already had HD800S + Woo WA22.

I think the 800S, driven thru WA22 sounds better.

I guess I'm feeling that if Sennheiser wanted to improve it's SQ with a planar it would do so. I drive a German vehicle (Porsche - 3rd one) and have a kitchen full of German appliances. Many of you do also.

I'm feeling like all this blah, blah about Focal, Abyss, Susvara..is just that. Blah blah.

I always go back to the 800S with the WA22 for my 70's-80's soul music. Thinking I just wasted $6,000.

Would love any responses.

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #7,572 of 8,768
I fell in love with all the online reviews of the HiFiMan Susvara. So I bought a high-powered amp to drive them (Ifi Ican Signature) and Susvara's. Both used, but recently purchased as new. Already had HD800S + Woo WA22.

I guess I'm feeling that if Sennheiser wanted to improve it's SQ with a planar it would do so. I drive a German vehicle (Porsche - 3rd one) and have a kitchen full of German appliances. Many of you do also.

I'm feeling like all this blah, blah about Focal, Abyss, Susvara..is just that. Blah blah.

I always go back to the 800S with the WA22 for my 70's-80's soul music. Thinking I just wasted $6,000.

There is something about HD800S, when paired in a good chain/sinergy I cant get enough. Stage is special, details are great, timber is lifelike and tube amp just amplifies everything. They are so light and comfy its a joy to use them, out of all hp use them 99% of time. After them Audeze planars are like meh to me, smaller sound, weird FR, timber can be off, high tones not nearly good and speed is similar. This are headphones that will always stay in my collection.

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #7,573 of 8,768

1) Probably your brain needs more time to accomodate to the Susvara' sound signature (or you don't have - yet - enough listening experience to appreciate it?)
2) You have different tastes from the general pulic who loves the Susvara, so keep enjoing the HD 800 S...
3) Or maybe you would like "electrostat path" more as an upgrade from HD 800 S. Etherial, delicate, detailed/analytical sound with airy soundstage - this is all usually applicable to the electrostats (Shangri-la Jr, most STAX models), hovewer there are warmer and bassier models too (Voce, CRBN).

Of course there are another paths like experimenting with pads, amps, EQ.

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #7,574 of 8,768
1) Probably your brain needs more time to accomodate to the Susvara' sound signature (or you don't have - yet - enough listening experience to appreciate it?)
2) You have different tastes from the general pulic who loves the Susvara, so keep enjoing the HD 800 S...
3) Or maybe you would like "electrostat path" more as an upgrade from HD 800 S. Etherial, delicate, detailed/analytical sound with airy soundstage - this is all usually applicable to the electrostats (Shangri-la Jr, most STAX models), hovewer there are warmer and bassier models too (Voce, CRBN).

Of course there are another paths like experimenting with pads, amps, EQ.
Trigerer, I do like the Susvara. Listening to them as I type. Just a post for responses and fun.
Had a long talk with Woo audio and they told me their WA5-LE would drive the Sus. But that's $5K base plus $3K in tube upgrades. Yikes.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I do enjoy this hobby.

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #7,575 of 8,768

To be honest don’t think that’s the best amp to judge Susvaras with. I run the Riviera AIC -10 with great results. I also have use the Bel Canto S300 with great results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back