Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #6,346 of 8,745
Anybody have recommendations on a dealer? It seems as though the sale price has ended :frowning2:

If an authorized seller is offering them on Amazon at a discounted price, you can contact dealers such as Headamp or Headphones.com to see if they will match it. That’s how I got mine at a discount outside of the sale period. I wouldn’t buy directly from Amazon as chances are you’d get an open box product sold as new.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #6,349 of 8,745
That link is showing me $1700.
Wow! Must have just changed. Here's my order confirmation
Mastercard Icon
Mastercard (••••••••••••8084)​
$1,399.95​

Payment Info​

Total​
$1,399.95​
Free FedEX Overnight​
$0.00​
Subtotal​
$1,399.95​
Sennheiser HD 800S
PN-Note: Pre-order Item​
x 1​
$1,399.95​

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #6,350 of 8,745
I agree with @Levanter that your HD800S’s doesn’t have the resonator. My HD800S’s has the resonator and the screen covering it. I got mine in January with a serial number 31xxx.

I think you guys are way off here. Unless Sennheiser changed the design on these, there is no physical resonator shoved down the hole. The resonator is a thin air impermeable sticker like screen either glued on top of the hole or on the mesh screen covering the whole driver. Hence it can come off if the screen is removed. Tyll wrote about it here: Sennheiser HD 800 S: Tweaked and Delightful
And here are photos I took of mine 10mins ago (bought new in January). The resonator looks like a solid piece but not so much when shining a flashlight from behind the earcup:

IMG_20210304_084733.jpg
IMG_20210304_084751.jpg

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #6,351 of 8,745
I think you guys are way off here. Unless Sennheiser changed the design on these, there is no physical resonator shoved down the hole. The resonator is a thin air impermeable sticker like screen either glued on top of the hole or on the mesh screen covering the whole driver. Hence it can come off if the screen is removed. Tyll wrote about it here: Sennheiser HD 800 S: Tweaked and Delightful
And here are photos I took of mine 10mins ago (bought new in January). The resonator looks like a solid piece but not so much when shining a flashlight from behind the earcup:

Well i sold mine last year so i can't double check, but google: sennheiser-hd800s-measurements-unsanctionned in page 1 there are pictures of someone opening it up and describing it as a dense soft foam.
Its a forum that is banned to be mentioned here, so no direct link.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #6,352 of 8,745
Well i sold mine last year so i can't double check, but google: sennheiser-hd800s-measurements-unsanctionned in page 1 there are pictures of someone opening it up and describing it as a dense soft foam.
Its stuck onto the mesh and not even 1mm in thickness

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #6,353 of 8,745
I checked that thread now. He describes that it feels like soft foam. From the pictures it doesn´t look like he even removed the mesh. Just pressing on it through the mesh doesn´t really confirm anything. His post and pictures are from Dec. 2015 and Tyll´s article and pictures from March 2016. The resonator in Tyll´s pictures is obviously constructed exactly the same way as mine and other newer models: paper thin and decal like.
It seems highly unlikely there should be a totally different resonator construction in between the first and last units produced.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #6,356 of 8,745
So you could buy an original HD800 (cheap) and glue in a comparible thin foam piece underneath the protecction material and instant HD800S?

Seem's easier than the Super Dupont mod.

Sennheiser bumped up the price from the HD800 for this and a paint job?

Yes, I know they tickled the Bass a little bit.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #6,359 of 8,745
So you could buy an original HD800 (cheap) and glue in a comparible thin foam piece underneath the protecction material and instant HD800S?

Seem's easier than the Super Dupont mod.

Sennheiser bumped up the price from the HD800 for this and a paint job?

Yes, I know they tickled the Bass a little bit.
Conversely you could buy an 800S and remove the foam piece that causes bass distortion and instant 800? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back