Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 9, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #6,361 of 8,807
Isn’t that because you looked with a light in the back ? The resonator is a very thin layer
Exactly....which is a far cry from the Super Dupont Resonator.
(...and sorry...my initial comment "well I’ll be....it is just paper or foam. oh well" was to be taken with a bit of sarcasm/irony)
Sennheiser_HD800S_Photo_InstallingSDA.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #6,362 of 8,807
Anyone compare HD800S with Abyss TC?

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #6,363 of 8,807
I haven’t compared to the Abyss TC but the Diana V2 is my preference since buying. Superb resolution, great for vocals, big soundstage (the Phi soundstage a little wider, or gives that impression being slightly brighter sounding). Bit of a cliche I know but I really do hear stuff on familiar recordings that I didn’t hear clearly on the HD800/S.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #6,364 of 8,807
I have both but it’s not a fair comparison. After listening to the TC’s and going back to listening to the HD800S’s right after makes them sound like they are lacking everything. The TC’s have a way of doing that to a lot of headphones.

Listening to the HD800S’s on their own after your ears have settled down is a different story. The HD800S’s have their own unique sound and have all the traits of a very good headphone. The HD800S’s just presents that sound in a different, less aggressive manner than the TC’s. They are not trying to sound like anything on the market and I for one appreciate that sound.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #6,365 of 8,807
I have both but it’s not a fair comparison. After listening to the TC’s and going back to listening to the HD800S’s right after makes them sound like they are lacking everything. The TC’s have a way of doing that to a lot of headphones.
Indeed.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #6,367 of 8,807

Listening to the HD800S’s on their own after your ears have settled down is a different story. The HD800S’s have their own unique sound and have all the traits of a very good headphone. The HD800S’s just presents that sound in a different, less aggressive manner than the TC’s. They are not trying to sound like anything on the market and I for one appreciate that sound.

I kinda felt that way comparing TC to Susvara. Only thing Susvara did better was less fatiguing treble and more forward midrange.

But I agree hd800S on its own stands tall and is one of the best in the world that scales like Alex Honnold!

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #6,368 of 8,807
I kinda felt that way comparing TC to Susvara. Only thing Susvara did better was less fatiguing treble and more forward midrange.

But I agree hd800S on its own stands tall and is one of the best in the world that scales like Alex Honnold!
Agreed, on all accounts. The TC's are just a different beast when it comes to headphones. They are the closet thing you can buy that can replicate the sound of speakers on your head. You can literally adjust and tweak their sound.

The Susvara’s are the only headphone that can really compete with them. The HD800's for a dynamic driver is special. Only the Utopia's can top it and that's only is certain areas. There areas where the HD800S's beat it.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #6,369 of 8,807

Agree, but I actually like the snappy feel of hd800S versus the harmonious of the susvara.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #6,370 of 8,807
Agree, but I actually like the snappy feel of hd800S versus the harmonious of the susvara.

When I first compared susvara to 800S it was clear to me that susvara did a lot better and I preferred it overall. More microdetail, richness, lack of fatigue... but then when I went to TC it was over... TC is like a direct upgrade of 800S.

Anyway now i just got some ATC SCM7 nearfields so we'll see if they can beat all of these headphones :p

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,371 of 8,807
Im not stating which was better but that i found what hd800S does well hard to beat. Course 10 G to find out about abyss is to steep, diana v2 is appealing but I'm not searching actively

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #6,373 of 8,807
Well i sold mine last year so i can't double check, but google: sennheiser-hd800s-measurements-unsanctionned in page 1 there are pictures of someone opening it up and describing it as a dense soft foam.
Its a forum that is banned to be mentioned here, so no direct link.
Basically, a foam o-ring. My HD800s are on the 054XX serial number range. They clearly have that resonator.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #6,374 of 8,807
Diminishing returns or do you notice a noticable upgrade?
They’re completely different headphones, hd800s being “better”. So, i don’t think diminishing returns is this.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #6,375 of 8,807
I’ve owned Susvara, HD800S, and the TC. On my rig (430HAD, 780D DAC), HD800S won hands down: a vastly more musical and enjoyable listen to my ears. There were certainly technical improvements evident in both the other headphones but they did not amount to a more impressive overall sound and, in fact, ruined the music for me, making it more sterile at normal volumes and resulting in a serious reduction in the quality of microdynamics.

My guess is the amp just wasn’t a good match for TC or Susvara.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back