Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #6,151 of 8,813
Looking to upgrade the stock balanced cable. The Black Dragon has my interest. Is there anything else out there to consider around the same price?

I use single ended 1/4" connector cables. With that type I've tried the Silver Dragon and didn't like it. Compared to the Norne Draug 3 (OCC copper Litz) it was slightly smeared and veiled. I think that was because the Silver Dragon is solid strands not Litz construction (no cancellation of skin effect). The Black Dragon probably has the same problem in my opinion. Corpse Cable Gravedigger is good sounding (Cardas copper Litz construction), but not as good as the Norne. All of these cables including the Silver Dragon are better sounding than the stock single ended cable.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #6,153 of 8,813
I am amazed at how differently the HD800S sounds across various amps. I have been listening to my new pair for over 6 hours a day since I got them and they are fantastic. They don't lack bass and they aren't even bright. Just full, clear, detailed and balanced sound. What a night and day difference. For Jazz and Classical music, these headphones are perfect for me. They even sound great for other genres of music I listen to. Maybe a bit bass light for some types, but certainly listenable and enjoyable. I think I finally found what I will call a reference headphone because I can compare everything I listen to these headphones and understand the type of sound signature I am getting. I love these headphones.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #6,154 of 8,813
I use single ended 1/4" connector cables. With that type I've tried the Silver Dragon and didn't like it. Compared to the Norne Draug 3 (OCC copper Litz) it was slightly smeared and veiled. I think that was because the Silver Dragon is solid strands not Litz construction (no cancellation of skin effect). The Black Dragon probably has the same problem in my opinion. Corpse Cable Gravedigger is good sounding (Cardas copper Litz construction), but not as good as the Norne. All of these cables including the Silver Dragon are better sounding than the stock single ended cable.

Thanks for the feedback. I looked up Norne actually earlier today and looks like the Einvaldi might be exactly what I am searching for. Looks to be a mix of silver and copper. Or even Draug 3SC, also a mix but cheaper.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #6,155 of 8,813
Thanks for the feedback. I looked up Norne actually earlier today and looks like the Einvaldi might be exactly what I am searching for. Looks to be a mix of silver and copper. Or even Draug 3SC, also a mix but cheaper.

Norne would be a good choice, except for the wait time - it can stretch out seemingly forever. For this reason I would recommend the ZMF 2K Copper (OCC Copper Litz), which in my experience is at least as good as the Norne and is much more readily available. ZMF makes that (and I think some silver Litz cables also) for all different headphones.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6,156 of 8,813
I don’t understand why so people find 800s not musical, clinical.
I think this HP learned me to apreciate Jazz, and Classical. I think theres something about hearing the intention off the music easier with this HP. Or it was an age thing.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #6,158 of 8,813
I think this HP learned me to apreciate Jazz, and Classical. I think theres something about hearing the intention off the music easier with this HP. Or it was an age thing.
They are outstanding with these genres of music. I’m starting to appreciate them a little bit more with other forms of music as well.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #6,160 of 8,813
I find the 800S to be super duper good with Daft as well :) as Metallica or Bach. It is a very neutral and high end capable headphones. The questions are, can your player, amp, source, keep up with it capabilities ?
I'm finding out that they are more than capable with all kinds of music. I'm listening to my HD800S's on the TT2/HMS combo on most occasions. Other times straight out of the RME ADi-2 Pro or RME ADi-2 Pro/FA-10 combo. I have a Hugo 2/Liquid Platinum as well. The HD800S's sounds good on it, but I want to try some other tube combinations.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #6,161 of 8,813
You should try the HD800S with a Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball ($415). It's a warm OTL amp and works magic with the HD800S and other 300-ohm cans. I have the Crackatwoa (an improved Crack circuit, $944 w/stepped attenuator upgrade) and the pairing with my 800's is intoxicating.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #6,162 of 8,813
You should try the HD800S with a Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball ($415). It's a warm OTL amp and works magic with the HD800S and other 300-ohm cans. I have the Crackatwoa (an improved Crack circuit, $944 w/stepped attenuator upgrade) and the pairing with my 800's is intoxicating.
This is my current set up for my HD800S. I was really skeptical that they would sound good on it since I originally demoed them on a Hugo 2 and it sounded terrible to me. Now, they sound glorious on the crack.

Interestingly, I just purchased a Hugo 2 to drive my IEMs and some lower impedance full size headphones, but I noticed the Hugo 2 has RCA Output jacks and can run line out. I am thinking about pairing my new Hugo 2 with the Crack to see how it sounds. Anyone hear of this very unusual pairing?

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #6,163 of 8,813
This is my current set up for my HD800S. I was really skeptical that they would sound good on it since I originally demoed them on a Hugo 2 and it sounded terrible to me. Now, they sound glorious on the crack.

Interestingly, I just purchased a Hugo 2 to drive my IEMs and some lower impedance full size headphones, but I noticed the Hugo 2 has RCA Output jacks and can run line out. I am thinking about pairing my new Hugo 2 with the Crack to see how it sounds. Anyone hear of this very unusual pairing?
Don’t ask that on the H2 thread. You will only be told to not add anything to a Chord product as the amp is perfect. I say go for it as I have always found the H2 a bit bright/harsh compared to other Chord dacs. imho

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #6,164 of 8,813
Don’t ask that on the H2 thread. You will only be told to not add anything to a Chord product as the amp is perfect. I say go for it as I have always found the H2 a bit bright/harsh compared to other Chord dacs. imho
Haha. Yes, the Hugo 2 was very bright and harsh with the HD800S when I auditioned them together. I tried the 800S with my other amps and they all sounded funky with them. Then, I put the crack back on and once again glorious sound. I've been wanting to upgrade my Modi Multibit DAC. I'll try it out and see what happens. Can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back